Official Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Thread

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

:dead: Disney really thought this was gonna be as hyped-up & successful as "Black Panther"

Some excerpts from the article:

I would bet is does the high end of this or beats it:
  • Marvel doesn't rev up the hype machine until the week before or week of a movie. We haven't reached that time period yet.
  • With no streaming you have to go to the theater. Black Widow a movie available on streaming made $80 million w/$60 Million in streaming. ScarJo has a lot of fans but also a lot of haters. So I think her being the star was a wash. The Marvel fandom is bigger than $35 -$55 million for an opening weekend.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Depending on the film though. F9 did fine because they had the hype and star power in the film to carry it. If you have the star power, then will show up to watch it.

Something you left out about F9. Nobody had a choice but to watch in theaters. There were no streaming tie ins. Now someone said in here that this won't be available on premier access so people will have to watch in theaters too...

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Something you left out about F9. Nobody had a choice but to watch in theaters. There were no streaming tie ins. Now someone said in here that this won't be available on premier access so people will have to watch in theaters too...

And that's where the experimental, litmus test will come in at that Marvel mentioned and the actor took offense. Will the people who were going to originally stream the film on premier access actually show up to the theaters to watch it? Especially for a lesser known Marvel character that hasn't shown up on any TV related Marvel property or be mentioned on there prior?

The answer to that is we'll see :yeshrug:

Toy and merchandise sales are a flop, so they aren't off to a good start in that aspect. Before anyone says anything, merchandise sales do matter even you don't think so.

That's why I wouldn't have made these two films the first theater releases of Phase 4. They are banking on Marvel loyalty driving fan interest in theaters.

• Dap
Reactions: DLo

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
And that's where the experimental, litmus test will come in at that Marvel mentioned and the actor took offense. Will the people who were going to originally stream the film on premier access actually show up to the theaters to watch it? Especially for a lesser known Marvel character that hasn't shown up on any TV related Marvel property or be mentioned on there prior?

The answer to that is we'll see :yeshrug:

Toy and merchandise sales are a flop, so they aren't off to a good start in that aspect. Before anyone says anything, merchandise sales do matter even you don't think so.

That's why I wouldn't have made these two films the first theater releases of Phase 4. They are banking on Marvel loyalty driving fan interest in theaters.
I really don't know or follow the toy industry. All Marvel toys do well and Shang Chi's toys are specifically undesirable? Or have other lesser known Marvel characters also had problems selling toys?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I really don't know or follow the toy industry. All Marvel toys do well and Shang Chi's toys are specifically undesirable? Or have other lesser known Marvel characters also had problems selling toys?

Lesser known Marvel characters typically have had problem selling toys, which is what's essentially happening with Shang-Chi. It's essentially just taking up store space from other Marvel toys that would actually move and sell units. There's no way that I would have made him nor The Eternals the first films in Phase 4 as you're essentially banking on people going to see them because of Marvel loyalty.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Lesser known Marvel characters typically have had problem selling toys, which is what's essentially happening with Shang-Chi. It's essentially just taking up store space from other Marvel toys that would actually move and sell units. There's no way that I would have made him nor The Eternals the first films in Phase 4 as you're essentially banking on people going to see them because of Marvel loyalty.
what would you have started phase 4 with?
I'm curious about shang chi because I don't really remember him interacting with any of the avengers besides black panther because they were both royalty.
I'm more excited about Eternals than Shang chi but that's because I think this is a cool concept and they've been hyping that film up for almost two years now

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
what would you have started phase 4 with?
I'm curious about shang chi because I don't really remember him interacting with any of the avengers besides black panther because they were both royalty.
I'm more excited about Eternals than Shang chi but that's because I think this is a cool concept and they've been hyping that film up for almost two years now

If they were going to have Loki set up the multiverse, then I would have had Spiderman and Dr Strange be the first two films of phase 4 especially considering set photos have shown both characters showing up in each others films. Spiderman and Shang-Chi are associated in the comics, so I would have had him show up in Spiderman as well to introduce him to the audience before giving him the solo film.

So essentially you'd be having followups to the cliffhangers of Loki while also setting the stage for Shang-Chi and The Eternals, which should come after the groundwork is laid.

A major problem I think that they're going to run into is that they are running the risk of casuals tuning out at some point by splitting multi-verse content through Disney Plus and theaters. They run the risk of it being too convoluted or much to keep up with for the average fan to know what's going on. They need Disney Plus to be a succeed especially because of COVID-19 so I could see why they moved more well known properties to that form of media.

More importantly, I think they're about to run into a problem of where they don't have a face of the Avengers or Phase 4 anymore now that Boseman is gone :mjcry:

Captain Marvel isn't it. Doctor Strange isn't either and Spiderman (who it should be) has issues between Disney/Sony to make it work.

Last edited:

Fletch

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas
Not hyped for this at all. Probably be the first marvel movie I don’t go out of my way to see.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
They probably felt they could do this and The Eternals next because they hit a home run with Guardians of the Galaxy, a lesser known property..

I remember people questioning GOTG but I knew they'd do well after the first trailer, I just knew at the very least Rocket Rac00n was gonna be popular.

Not sure I feel that way here.. maybe they got arrogant, only time will tell.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
They probably felt they could do this and The Eternals next because they hit a home run with Guardians of the Galaxy, a lesser known property..

I remember people questioning GOTG but I knew they'd do well after the first trailer, I just knew at the very least Rocket Rac00n was gonna be popular.

Not sure I feel that way here.. maybe they got arrogant, only time will tell.

The only problem with that notion is that The Eternals and Shang-Chi are even lesser known characters than GOTG. Even GOTG (although lesser known) appeared in multiple Marvel properties and video games before they were released in theaters.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

:dead: Disney really thought this was gonna be as hyped-up & successful as "Black Panther"

Some excerpts from the article:

The way people are proclaiming movies as flops while not taking into consideration the times we are living in will always be weird to me.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The way people are proclaiming movies as flops while not taking into consideration the times we are living in will always be weird to me.

You don’t think that movie companies and other entertainment industries have revised their estimates to account for COVID already? If the numbers come in lower than those revised estimates, then it’s a flop.

People gotta realize out here that the numbers and estimates have already been adjusted to account for COVID. They are not out here using pre-covid estimates anymore.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
You don’t think that movie companies and other entertainment industries have revised their estimates to account for COVID already? If the numbers come in lower than those revised estimates, then it’s a flop.

Only the studios know what they want out of a release or hybrid release. Everything else is guessing. Unless executives leak some info or outright say they aren't happy then there's not much to go on. Hollywood Reporter and Variety have some decent sources. internet blogs don't.