Official Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Thread

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Black Panther was a much more famous character and he had a proper intro in another movie. Also the cast had some pretty heavy hitters. this basically has Awkwafina and a guy who is a legend in China. i don't think Disney is doing a great job with this marketing/release so far, pandemic or not.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

Lol this is the second time the new Disney ceo has publicly pissed off the talent with his comments :mjlol:
He needs to listen to a pr coach or something

Simu took the CEO’s comments out of context. He was talking about the 45 day release schedule being an experiment and not throwing shots at the movie/actor themselves :russ:

If The Eternals flops, then Disney is going to have a major problem on their hands :ld:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
This cac said “pandemic or not” like it should have no impact. :mjlol:.

this is unprecedented. Nobody knows what is considered a success and what isn’t.

Damn near every entertainment industry is taking L’s right now. You got millions of Americans who won’t get vaccinated or wear masks. But some how you expect everyone to pack theaters?

I’ve never seen so many delusional people in my life :dahell:

Concerts venues (even indoors) and other entertainment venues don’t seem to have a problem with packing and getting crowds, so why give that excuse to movie theaters?

Just face it breh, this movie is a flop as no one could care less about character.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps

:dead: Disney really thought this was gonna be as hyped-up & successful as "Black Panther"

Some excerpts from the article:

I don’t know how people determine what a flop is in this market
It’s stupid sensationalism
This will also be the third Asian Disney film that “flopped” due to the pandemic
Glad it’s not black panther though :manny:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Concerts venues (even indoors) and other entertainment venues don’t seem to have a problem with packing and getting crowds, so why give that excuse to movie theaters?

Just face it breh, this movie is a flop as no one could care less about character.

you can’t equate the two. Those are two completely different types of venues/events

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black Panther was a much more famous character and he had a proper intro in another movie. Also the cast had some pretty heavy hitters. this basically has Awkwafina and a guy who is a legend in China. i don't think Disney is doing a great job with this marketing/release so far, pandemic or not.
Good point about the civil war introduction. It also preceded and tied into infinity war as well.

This is a bad comparison. How many movie theaters have been “packed” this entire time? And many of concerts and music festivals are one time events.

Pretty much every film has been a flop by conventional standards this year and will continue to.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
you can’t equate the two. Those are two completely different types of venues/events

Still doesn't change the premise of the point though. The interest in the character just isn't there.

Where Marvel fukked up at was not introducing the character to the audience beforehand are basically depending on people watching the movie because it's a Marvel character involved. It's the same concept with The Eternals. No one knows of these characters as they haven't even been on any TV show (not even animated). At least GOTG, appeared on Marvel animated TV, so at least some fans were aware of their existence.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Good point about the civil war introduction. It also preceded and tied into infinity war as well.

This is a bad comparison. How many movie theaters have been “packed” this entire time? And many of concerts and music festivals are one time events.

Pretty much every film has been a flop by conventional standards this year and will continue to.

not sure what is going on with the MCU and china but so far in 2021 2021 in film - Wikipedia

d3q870Vl.png

the top 2 are chinese

Hi Mom
The film has grossed over US$822 million at the box office, making it the highest-grossing film of 2021, the second-highest-grossing non-English film of all time, and the highest-grossing film by a solo female director.[4]

Detective Chinatown 3
The film set several box office records, including the biggest opening weekend ever in a single territory. Grossing over US$686 million, becoming the highest-grossing non-American R-rated film of all time. It is also the second-highest-grossing film of 2021 and the fourth-highest-grossing non-English film of all time.

IF Shang Chi gets released i China and is viewed favourably then there is hope that China carries it.

If NO china then yeah :francis:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

You're focusing on the US side of things instead of the global box office as a whole where the majority of movies make their money. A movie could make bread here, but do poorly overseas and that film would be considered as a flop.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

not sure what is going on with the MCU and china but so far in 2021 2021 in film - Wikipedia

d3q870Vl.png

the top 2 are chinese

Hi Mom
The film has grossed over US$822 million at the box office, making it the highest-grossing film of 2021, the second-highest-grossing non-English film of all time, and the highest-grossing film by a solo female director.[4]

Detective Chinatown 3
The film set several box office records, including the biggest opening weekend ever in a single territory. Grossing over US$686 million, becoming the highest-grossing non-American R-rated film of all time. It is also the second-highest-grossing film of 2021 and the fourth-highest-grossing non-English film of all time.

IF Shang Chi gets released i China and is viewed favourably then there is hope that China carries it.

If NO china then yeah :francis:

It's coming to China, but it's just a matter of when and will the film still have any traction with the fans there once it's released. People keep bringing up Spiderman, when he will be just fine box office wise because of the hype and star power of the character. This movie nor The Eternals just doesn't have that and is depending on loyalty to the Marvel brand to drive people to watch it.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
global box office has been just as bad if not worse tho.

Depending on the film though. F9 did fine because they had the hype and star power in the film to carry it. If you have the star power, then will show up to watch it. These upcoming Marvel movies just don't have that and it's why they don't have the traction to be a success in spite of the pandemic.

That's why I think that the Spiderman film will do just fine in theaters because people actually want to watch it. I knew the film was going to flop months ago as the toys had been sitting on Target shelves for the longest. Delaying the movie again was only going to make it worse as those toys weren't going to move like that regardless because no one knows of the Shang-Chi character.

They were better served being on Disney Plus as TV shows than actually going to theaters. That goes for The Eternals as well.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Depending on the film though. F9 did fine because they had the hype and star power in the film to carry it. If you have the star power, then will show up to watch it. These upcoming Marvel movies just don't have that and it's why they don't have the traction to be a success in spite of the pandemic.

That's why I think that the Spiderman film will do just fine in theaters because people actually want to watch it. I knew the film was going to flop months ago as the toys had been sitting on Target shelves for the longest. Delaying the movie again was only going to make it worse as those toys weren't going to move like that regardless because no one knows of the Shang-Chi character.

They were better served being on Disney Plus as TV shows than actually going to theaters. That goes for The Eternals as well.
Externals has a really strong cast though. I think it will be fine

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's why I think that the Spiderman film will do just fine in theaters because people actually want to watch it.

F9 was supposed to be billon box office pre Covid. It did great in this environment (and had a China release and no streaming) , but is still a flop by pre covid standards.

Spider-Man doesn’t even have a trailer out at this point so that should tell how favorable this environment is.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Externals has a really strong cast though. I think it will be fine

Even then, the hype just isn't there because no one has actually heard of the characters prior if you hadn't heard of them from the comics. Not to mention, Marvel has done a poor job of promoting the movie and actually explaining the concept and characters behind it for people who are skeptical.