Reppin
PHI 2 ATL

18545-fb06b8995114d96e26e076f356665af7.jpg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You can't please everyone but they erred on the side of caution by adding tons of minigames and side content.
FF16 got major criticism for the side missions and lack of RPG elements, and here when Square provides those things they still catch criticism.

Whether you enjoy the side stuff depends on the person, but you can go to the main scenario and advance the story pretty quickly in each region except Costa del Sol.

They've done a great job of keeping OG fans happy and expanding areas that were much shorter in the OG.

Exactly, im guessing if we were in a slow gaming season a lot of people wouldn’t have these concerns lol

This game and a lot of the side content is dope (i dont like end game quest and trophies being tied to hard modes in mini games though) it really feels like FF7 Witcher. I think people are just antsy the game is twice as long as the previous one when tons of good games came out or are dropping now.

I say that as someone that is checking the unicorn overlord thread, playing HD2 still, and looking at DD2 and Ronin previews.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I’m a
Exactly, im guessing if we were in a slow gaming season a lot of people wouldn’t have these concerns lol

This game and a lot of the side content is dope (i dont like end game quest and trophies being tied to hard modes in mini games though) it really feels like FF7 Witcher. I think people are just antsy the game is twice as long as the previous one when tons of good games came out or are dropping now.
That's the current issue I'm facing in that I completed the Protorelic sidequest, yet I can't even craft the rewards because dark matter is tied behind the expert mode of the minigames. It wouldn't even be as bad if it wasn't obvious at points that they didn't bother to test the minigames or that you have to perfect without any fukk ups to complete them.

It's also obvious at times that they padded content for busy work as the GS Battlesquare challenges are literally just repeats of each other in different combinations.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

I say that as someone that is checking the unicorn overlord thread, playing HD2 still, and looking at DD2 and Ronin previews.

Yeah I haven't played anything else since this dropped and I refuse to rush thru it :mjcry:probably never gonna catch up with my backlog though

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
You can't please everyone but they erred on the side of caution by adding tons of minigames and side content.
FF16 got major criticism for the side missions and lack of RPG elements, and here when Square provides those things they still catch criticism.

Whether you enjoy the side stuff depends on the person, but you can go to the main scenario and advance the story pretty quickly in each region except Costa del Sol.

They've done a great job of keeping OG fans happy and expanding areas that were much shorter in the OG.
No one is saying this is as bad as FF16.

I just wish the game was paced better between the main content and side content.

The content they added, at least in the early to mid game isn't really meaningful content, it's busywork. They could have expanded it to not just have minigames and open world segments added, is all.

Like upper junon was a nice touch, they redid it to not just have more content but it added context and even conversations/cutscenes that help make more sense of how the plot advanced besides them just trying to harrass rufus

So yeah, mixed results here. Game's still good I'm just a little bored/frustrated with the design choices.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees

I just wish the game was paced better between the main content and side content.

The content they added, at least in the early to mid game isn't really meaningful content, it's busywork. They could have expanded it to not just have minigames and open world segments added, is all.

Like upper junon was a nice touch, they redid it to not just have more content but it added context and even conversations/cutscenes that help make more sense of how the plot advanced besides them just trying to harrass rufus

So yeah, mixed results here. Game's still good I'm just a little bored/frustrated with the design choices.

You make fair points I'm just giving them credit for what was added because there's not many examples of engaging side content in most genres of games. Making it feed into the overall narrative of the game without making it feel like a waste of time is a tightrope walk

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I think others are overblowing the "filler" content because I seen someone in this thread complaining about the damn dolphin mini game that amounted to barely a minute of gameplay. It being optional for the most part shouldn't even be a issue. It's like complaining there's too much game modes in a COD. game.

From what I've played thus far, I've yet to feel like there was some non story content that was forced upon you that took hours to do before you could progress the main story.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I think others are overblowing the "filler" content because I seen someone in this thread complaining about the damn dolphin mini game that amounted to barely a minute of gameplay. It being optional for the most part shouldn't even be a issue. It's like complaining there's too much game modes in a COD. game.

From what I've played thus far, I've yet to feel like there was some non story content that was forced upon you that took hours to do before you could progress the main story.
There's definitely non story content forced upon you that takes hours to do before you progress, you just haven't gotten there yet if you think that

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
I'll see. So far I'm in the Corel region and outside of some moped pickups in Costa Del Sol, there hasn't been anything that was annoying to me.
Even Costa del Sol comes at a time where you do need a diversion from the main story.

The Queens Blood sidequest there was fine, the shooting minigame was fun, the rocket league spinoff game with Red was fun to me. Picking up the wheelies and anything to do with taking pictures in this game is ass but not everything is gonna hit :hubie:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

Yea, i like this game but i don't love it. The core combat is pretty engaging but everything else around it or in-between is pretty hit or miss. The open world tasks are ok, but more going through the motions than fun: Catch chocobo, sniff transmuter, follow bird to mako spring, hit rocks to summon cave, catch moogles (this actually was annoying), unlock towers...

A rinse n repeat laundry list of busy work that's tolerable but gets a bit mundane. Other stuff like the card game is great but the beach resort quests i was disengaged. I'm now at the Gold Saucer date and part of me just wants to skip ahead. But we'll see.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I’m a

That's the current issue I'm facing in that I completed the Protorelic sidequest, yet I can't even craft the rewards because dark matter is tied behind the expert mode of the minigames. It wouldn't even be as bad if it wasn't obvious at points that they didn't bother to test the minigames or that you have to perfect without any fukk ups to complete them.

It's also obvious at times that they padded content for busy work as the GS Battlesquare challenges are literally just repeats of each other in different combinations.
This reminds me of the original. You couldn't get the Knights of the Round summon without winning Chocobo races and breeding certain ones together so you could reach the island its found on.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
This reminds me of the original. You couldn't get the Knights of the Round summon without winning Chocobo races and breeding certain ones together so you could reach the island its found on.
It's going to take quite a bit of work and patience do it as I completed all 20 of those chocobo races as the Kujata one has the Dark matter prize and it's brutal if you keep having to restart. They're mainly locked behind the hard/expert mode of the mini games especially the ones in Cosmo Canyon.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
It's going to take quite a bit of work and patience do it as I completed all 20 of those chocobo races as the Kujata one has the Dark matter prize and it's brutal if you keep having to restart. They're mainly locked behind the hard/expert mode of the mini games especially the ones in Cosmo Canyon.
My friend did it for me in the OG. :lolbron: