Official Overwatch Thread

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Matchmaking in this game is broken as fukk. I'm on a team as the highest level at 80 while my teammates are level 8, 18, 30, 24, and 35. Meanwhile the other team has 4 people that have a star, one dude at 90, and another at 18:dwillhuh:

its horrible. Its basing it off wins/losses , not time factored in at all.

Example , if you win 2 games and level 20 (coulda got carried, lucky, other team played horrible, whatever). And a level 120 lost 2 games in a row (coulda played other great players, someone on their team fukked up, etc), you would be playing against the level 120 :heh:

absurd..

needs to be a bigger sample size, and you should never play anyone outside your level range of maybe 20-30 at most (level 20 vs 50 is not that bad.. but i be in games as level 53 vs people level 180 :mjlol: )

also, the new competitive match making is even worse.. they take an average of a team and put you against another average of a team :beli:

so if someone is rank 58 (top 100 in the world) and someone on their team is rank (49, went 3-7 in placements probably) they could be on the same team.. But in this game you cant carry people like in other games cause its 6v6.. the world of difference between a top 100 player and someone who isnt even 50% win rate is huge.. so it only hurts the higher ranked player :snoop: blizzard did not think this through at all..

if im rank 55 I could get an entire team of rank 49's to make my team average like 51 (as example I dont know the whole math) but I could be playing against 2 54s, 1 53, 2 51s and 2 49s... but the team average still 51.. my team obviously gonna get smashed..

tldr;

the matchmaking is based off win/loss streaks and not level/time played as a factor (levels do factor as a group.. but its a 2nd factor compared to win/loss streaks)

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
33-4 with Soldier 76 a few games ago, he, Zarya and Mercy are the only characters I really do work with so far.

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
And I really wanna see the competitive matchmaking leaderboards because there is no way you can maintain a high level when every loss is a whole rank gone while if you win you literally gain a 1/16 of a bar

XII

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
And I really wanna see the competitive matchmaking leaderboards because there is no way you can maintain a high level when every loss is a whole rank gone while if you win you literally gain a 1/16 of a bar
Imagine how trash you have to be to be Rank 1 tho :mjlol:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
this is the worst implementation of a "competitive system" ive seen in my life, no hyperbole.

Ignore the horrible match making for a second that is built for 1vs1 games, not 6vs6 games...

was just in a game that went to sudden death. Our team had 7 minutes left to win, their team had to win in 4 minutes. We already been playing for 20 minutes on 1 map. So basically when we got to sudden death, one of our teammates (and we had more time to win so we probably woulda won) was like fukk it i aint got time for this and left.... when a player leaves, no one gets rating anymore.. so basically wasted 20 minutes of 11 people lives for no fukking reason :camby:

He has to do that repeatedly to get punished :camby: so basically for the next week he can just waste people time playing this shyt :camby:

even the team that was about to lose was :mjlol: and :camby: at the same time they knew that was some bs

Blizzard :camby:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
after some research ill help people understand competitive play more... fukk blizzard man, they dropped the ball on this BAD - hopefully its fixed by the time consoles get it.

Outside of getting more experience per win in competitive play, I cant recommend playing it right now. Playing it now while its broken, can ruin the rest of the 3 month season for you :yeshrug:

Things you should know before queing competitive play (as of now 06/29)

1. Playing a healer/tank will get you less rank experience. Medals, damage, stats overall contribute to your ranking as well. If you are playing a tank (shielding) or healer (healing) you (to dumbass blizzarD) only assisting in 1-2 category at best(objective time as a tank or healing done as a healer). While if you play a damage character, say Soldier 76, and you do decent in all categories, even if you are on same team as your healer friend, and your team wins, you will rank up quicker than the healer.

2. King of The Hill maps only contribute to 1/10th of a rank and payload maps contribute to 100% of a rank;

Example; if you play 4 matches. 3 king of the hill and 1 payload map. If you win all 3 King Of The Hill maps and lose the 4th match Payload, you will actually lose rank even though you had a 75% win rate :dead:

Theoretically RIGHT NOW you could have a 90% win rate and still lose ranking (if you played 9 king of the hill matches and won them all and then lost 1 payload map.. very unrealistic, but CAN happen :dead: )

this is bar none, the worst competitive ranking implementation ive seen in any game :dead: have 20 minute king of the hill matches only to get 1/10th of a rank brehs.

Lose payload map in 10 minutes to lose 100% of a rank brehs.

In competitive play a win is a win, fukk a game mode.. They need to make it a simple +1/-1 system (like any common sense dev would have) and at the way higher ranks (rank 80-100+) +1/-1.25

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I was hoping they'd have a system more like Halo 5 than this weird DOTA/LoL mash up....

But Blizzard is still new to FPS. I'd give em time. By the time they fix this shyt they'll have a bunch of new heroes and maps anyways. A lot of stuff is coming out right about now anyways. I recommend playing something else because Overwatch is too good of a game to get pissed off at because matchmaking and ranked.

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
I was hoping they'd have a system more like Halo 5 than this weird DOTA/LoL mash up....

But Blizzard is still new to FPS. I'd give em time. By the time they fix this shyt they'll have a bunch of new heroes and maps anyways. A lot of stuff is coming out right about now anyways. I recommend playing something else because Overwatch is too good of a game to get pissed off at because matchmaking and ranked.

you think its possible for them to have an actual balanced game with all of the extra heroes they are supposed to be adding?

and yeah it's a good idea to stop before i become full tilt off of ranked

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
you think its possible for them to have an actual balanced game with all of the extra heroes they are supposed to be adding?

and yeah it's a good idea to stop before i become full tilt off of ranked
hero balance is actually better than most people ever expected. there are favorites, sure, but all things considered the balance from top to bottom is amazing . i have complete faith in blizzard adding great maps and great characters to the mix. even some additional game modes. im not concerned about that at all - the issue is that you're gonna be hard pressed to find a good game without grouping up at least 4 deep.

the matchmaking by itself isn't good enough. so what do people do? they bet everything on competitive modes and ranked to do what normal matchmaking should be doing. its just a mess. even moreso when you bring connectivity into the mix

growing pains are gonna happen. if any company is gonna fix a glaring issue like this, its blizzard. hell, just look at how far diablo 3 came from release to its present state. i wouldn't worry at all

i WOULD however take a break so that this shyt doesn't have the power to make me more pissed than i should be over a game like this

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

While they are new to fps, they arent new to ranking systems/mmr systems. This is inexcusable.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
While they are new to fps, they arent new to ranking systems/mmr systems. This is inexcusable.
You can tell that their only experience regarding ranking was Starcraft and Heroes of The Storm.

Its not easy making an FPS ranking system in a pure team-based objective focused game. Like.... the only people I can think of who've done it right (barely) are Bungie and the guys who basically picked up after Bungie. Maybe CSGO.

I'm not gonna shyt on em like its easy. The beta was an entirely different environment - a lot of that community policed itself.