Official NOPE Thread

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This movie was better than Us.

I didn't understand what the chimpanzee scene added to the film.

RIP Keith David!
The chimp represents how nature can't be tamed, and that it's stupid to not respect animals. They didn't respect the horse in the beginning and it bucked. Ricky didn't get killed by the chimp and thought he had a connection with it, and then mistakenly believed that he could tame the alien by feeding it horses and making an attraction out of it. It backfired, and by trying to name nature, he got eaten up too.

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
I’d say the chimp scenes show how uncontrollable nature is. Even the horses didn’t listen in this movie.

Honestly there’s so many layers to this movie.

The chimp scenes weren’t necessarily only about Gordy, they also helped show why Steven Yaungs character acted the way he did. After all he was the one that started feeding the horses to the alien

Man the more i think about it this movie is so deep. I almost wanna say it’s better than Get Out

after my 2nd watch i personally put it over Get Out…JP is 3/3 for me…

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
Man the number of people that did not understand the point of the chimp scenes or the context of it blows my mind. The movie is hitting you over the head with the fact that these are ANIMALS and their nature can't always be controlled. The one cat that recognized and respected that was the one that deals with animals more than people and put two and two together with jean jacket.

Are most audiences really this oblivious to overt themes like this? Maybe it's a reason Michael Bay gets his racks off from loud simple shyt. shyt is bewildering.
Even if that is the message, who gives a fukk about that shyt? We need a movie to tell us we can't control fukkin wild animals? That theme sucks.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Am I the only one that hates it when they announce a movie like a year before? :francis:
I'd rather not even know it's in the works until like maybe a couple months before we can actually watch it :mjcry:
Movie theater previews are ridiculous how far ahead they are. There’s no point. I forget the movie by the time its released. .

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I had such positive expectations for this film and it was just Fuxkin boring. I rarely say that about movies, but this one is just weak. I love alien invasion flicks too. :beli:

I shoulda known this was gonna be meh when they
offed Keith David
in the opening scene. :unimpressed:

-None of the characters were interesting and the main characters weren’t strong enough to hold the movie up. I did like the different personalities between the bro and sis.

-Yuen’s backstory was the epitome of time filler. I can see why it was there (looking into the eyes or "taming" an animal), but all that coulda been explained with simple dialogue. Not only that, but there would be Fuxkin animal control on set to take out the monkey. :usure:

-making the alien an animal felt like doing something different for the sake of trying to be different. And turning it into a giant weather ballon was dumb. (I get it was a shot at people calling UFOs weather balloons). Sometimes keeping it simple and familiar is the way to go. :shaq2:

-naming the main character OJ was such a face palm moment. :snoop:

-the only suspense I felt was with the kids Fuxkin with dude; literally had chills, then the reveal had me :snoop:

I thought after the end of the first act it was gonna get intense, but na. Ididn’t care for Us, but I prefer that over this. I’m tempted to call Peele a one hit wonder. :jbhmm:

Last edited:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
FZ1QeSVXkAgq3lz

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had such positive expectations for this film and it was just Fuxkin boring. I rarely say that about movies, but this one is just weak. I love alien invasion flicks too. :beli:

I shoulda known this was gonna be meh when they
offed Keith David
in the opening scene. :unimpressed:

-None of the characters were interesting and the main characters weren’t strong enough to hold the movie up. I did like the different personalities between the bro and sis.

-Yuen’s backstory was the epitome of time filler. I can see why it was there (looking into the eyes or "taming" an animal), but all that coulda been explained with simple dialogue. Not only that, but there would be Fuxkin animal control on set to take out the monkey. :usure:

-making the alien an animal felt like doing something different for the sake of trying to be different. And turning it into a giant weather ballon was dumb. (I get it was a shot at people calling UFOs weather balloons). Sometimes keeping it simple and familiar is the way to go. :shaq2:

-naming the main character OJ was such a face palm moment. :snoop:

-the only suspense I felt was with the kids Fuxkin with dude; literally had chills, then the reveal had me :snoop:

I thought after the end of the first act it was gonna get intense, but na. Ididn’t care for Us, but I prefer that over this. I’m tempted to call Peele a one hit wonder. :jbhmm:
I don't understand this critique. Peele didn't turn the spaceship into a predator/animals. That's what his vision for what a ufo was. The idea of ufos being spaceships manned by aliens is a Hollywood creation and is not anymore credible than a ufo being a living entity. Why does peele have to run with the same ufo premise done thousands of times just because that's what people are familiar with? That's just creams lack of creativity

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I don't understand this critique. Peele didn't turn the spaceship into a predator/animals. That's what his vision for what a ufo was. The idea of ufos being spaceships manned by aliens is a Hollywood creation and is not anymore credible than a ufo being a living entity. Why does peele have to run with the same ufo premise done thousands of times just because that's what people are familiar with? That's just creams lack of creativity

My critique is my critique and I prefer my ufos to be spacecrafts and not some entity.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My critique is my critique and I prefer my ufos to be spacecrafts and not some entity.
You sound like a very closed-minded individual. No offense, but you're basically only accepting 1 of many possible options because Hollywood told you to. Not a valid critique, that's a personal gripe.