Official NOPE Thread

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was really interesting to me. Felt like a movie version of an episode of the outer limits, a lot of great ideas but was missing something for me. The pacing was a bit too slow to me to tie in the subplot which actually sounds like a great horror film idea, and the twist isn’t as big of a payoff on screen for me.

Feel like I need to see it again since they’re a lot of visual cues that JP weaves in.

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw it in IMAX yesterday. Pretty good visuals but movie was kinda :ld:

Obviously Get Out was a classic and I even loved Us. This one was ok. Give it some points for creativity. The scene where the Jupiter kids pranked DK was crazy lol those costumes were dope.

Theatre was empty for matinee, only one other person was in the big ass IMAX room and it was some severely handicapped dude in a wheelchair I was like wtf, how did he even get in here. Who’s man is this.

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
This film has grown on me a bit after the initial viewing, reading comments, and watching YouTube videos. I give it a 7.5/10 now.

It's frustrating because the foundation is here for a true masterpiece.

honestly, breh, I think this is one of those movies that needs a 2nd watch to truly appreciate it…

just going into the 2nd viewing knowing the UFO is a creature and not a ship you see how connected everything is from jump…

take that opening shot while the credits are rollin…on 1st watch you’re looking at the credits roll inside of a square that looks sorta organic but you’re not sure…you hear wind feedback and the distant cacophony of people and cars but you’re not really sure what it’s supposed to mean…on 2nd watch you realize you’re literally lookin into the belly of the beast as it traverses the clouds probably on the hunt…

i liked Nope on the 1st watch and loved it on the 2nd…stayed away from all the articles and video analysis between my first and second watch tho…

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just wish the alien didnt change shapes. Was pointless…

Not at all pointless. The movie was about a spectacle. It shifted shape and flashed colors for people to have no choice but to look at it. It is also the characteristics of many animals and insects, even certain dangerous plants. It's called "peacocking" after how peacocks flash their colorful feathers when feel threatened or prep to attack.

Mike18jj

Veteran
Daps
I enjoyed this just like I've enjoyed all of Peele's movies. Everyone has their own opinions but it seems like some people are following the opinions of other people then to just tell how they really feel. I've heard people trash the movie before seeing it and I'm glad I never take other people's word as gospel. I don't understand what's so hard to follow about this movie it's right there in front of you.

Other directors can make sorry ass movies and you won't hear as many people shyt on it like People do with Peele's movies.:unimpressed:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I will watch this aga8n because some of the scenes were truly great. Like the people trapped in the cloud. The gordy scenes of course. The screams coming from the creature cloud. The cinematography.

So much good stuff. Its just a movie though that doesnt capitalize off all of that. Makes it a bit disappointing. The humor could of been more prominent. I felt he missed out on some truly comedic elements as the movie kind of moved rather slowly because also the main character is so sleepy which shifts the focus to his sister.

Peele is indeed a smart dude and has vision, I repsect his perspective and skills on the movie game. Nope just didnt hit every note so it does faulter in the end.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I enjoyed this just like I've enjoyed all of Peele's movies. Everyone has their own opinions but it seems like some people are following the opinions of other people then to just tell how they really feel. I've heard people trash the movie before seeing it and I'm glad I never take other people's word as gospel. I don't understand what's so hard to follow about this movie it's right there in front of you.

Other directors can make sorry ass movies and you won't hear as many people shyt on it like People do with Peele's movies.:unimpressed:
I mean, you already said it here and that’s pretty much it. People are going to like what they like. There’s no grand conspiracy against Peele behind it.

We had a group of posters in this thread complaining about how others didn’t fully understand the concept. Meanwhile, I’m sat here wondering why it’s so hard for them to understand that people process things differently.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I thought it was much better after my second viewing. It’s like 7.75-8.00 to me. I originally felt like it was about a 6.

There were so many little things I caught the second go-round.

*The wife Amber was setting up press release passes on the phone for the “big show” when we first see her. In hindsight, it’s clear that it was always Joop.

*When they get to the hotel after Jean Jacket rains blood all over the house — Angel and Emerald have on VR headsets. They don’t even want to face reality. OJ is the only one grounded in reality. He’s the only one willing to face what’s happening.

*On rewatch I felt OJ was torn between a commitment to the past, pragmatism, and a new future. Seems like he was ushered into his role in the business because he was a boy and the eldest. Even the way he talked about the horses was out of some sense of duty. “I got mouth to feed,” which is akin to how people talk about their kids or family. It’s so ingrained in him too. Even when he was calling for Angel and Em to get into the car he was doing that leg slapping gesture you’d do to an animal. With that being said, I don’t think it’s who he envisioned himself to be. He didn’t think his life would be training horses for all his day, which is why he’s reduced it to merely duty.

*I also 100% believe OJ is alive.

b_b

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Man the number of people that did not understand the point of the chimp scenes or the context of it blows my mind. The movie is hitting you over the head with the fact that these are ANIMALS and their nature can't always be controlled. The one cat that recognized and respected that was the one that deals with animals more than people and put two and two together with jean jacket.

Are most audiences really this oblivious to overt themes like this? Maybe it's a reason Michael Bay gets his racks off from loud simple shyt. shyt is bewildering.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
This movie was better than Us.

I didn't understand what the chimpanzee scene added to the film.

RIP Keith David!
I’d say the chimp scenes show how uncontrollable nature is. Even the horses didn’t listen in this movie.

Honestly there’s so many layers to this movie.

The chimp scenes weren’t necessarily only about Gordy, they also helped show why Steven Yaungs character acted the way he did. After all he was the one that started feeding the horses to the alien

Man the more i think about it this movie is so deep. I almost wanna say it’s better than Get Out