Official NOPE Thread

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I just got back from seeing this. It was okay.

I wasn't pressed to see it because I know people be doing the MOST with Jordan Peele's films since Get Out. I enjoy a smart movie but I'm not with all of the overanalyzing of the work. I shouldn't have to watch a YouTube video to figure out the point of a movie. I only really went to see it so I wouldn't get spoiled.

With that said, this might be the one that has folks lookin like Get Out was the exception. :francis: But I'm bout to dive into this thread and see what yall thought.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I really enjoyed it. Like Us, it ran long but the acting and story made up for it.

This was Jordan Peele’s commentary to the industry and how people view his directing career.

The animals, besides representing their own treatment, represented the treatment of black creatives.

The references to “get out”: one way to evade the alien and stay safe was to stay in shelter. Keke Palmer said she had to “get out the house” but it came at the risk of being killed. I feel this represented Peele wanting to try something out of the box and not only be known for Get Out, which is what he did with the Us and now Nope.

I also believe the first scene with Lucky was a reference to Get Out. The commercial scene when he saw his reflection and immediately bucked was similar to the flash waking up the black folks in Get Out.

The “Alien” rejecting decoy horse and the big blow up doll: I feel this represented how the general public rejected Us (i.e. a movie about decoys in a sense).

I think it also represented how the industry eats its own. It ate real horses and people, but it’s inability to distinguish real from fake was the ultimately the reason for its demise. The same can be said about Hollywood. The appetite for mindless tv and movies is killing the game.

I have some more idea that I’ll scribe out later after some thought.

Whole lotta reaching there imo. :hubie:

Yall can't analyze something to this level and get mad the average movie goer is like WTF? It's not even about being dumb, there's smart and then there's "too smart". Gotta know your audience. Anyone who walked into this expected to use their brain but a lot of stuff in this movie is not going to resonate with people and the retort can't just be "yall are dumb."

I'll use hip hop as an example. There's a huge gap between someone like Canibus /Lupe (too smart) and Lil Yachty (dumb rap). Every now and then someone like Kendrick comes along and is the perfect balance. Cuz Kendrick is able to do what Canibus could never do, and that's what makes him special.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
xsdAUDA.png

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yall can't analyze something to this level and get mad the average movie goer is like WTF? It's not even about being dumb, there's smart and then there's "too smart". Gotta know your audience. Anyone who walked into this expected to use their brain but a lot of stuff in this movie is not going to resonate with people and the retort can't just be "yall are dumb."

I'll use hip hop as an example. There's a huge gap between someone like Canibus /Lupe (too smart) and Lil Yachty (dumb rap). Every now and then someone like Kendrick comes along and is the perfect balance. Cuz Kendrick is able to do what Canibus could never do, and that's what makes him special.

I get what you’re saying. I just think it’s a good movie without all the over analyzing

I was entertained. It’s a well made film to see in theaters to be appreciated without too much thinking.

It’s kinda the same way I’d rather hear King Kunta on the radio than any of Kendrick “deeper” songs

Maybe this movie IS Jordan peele finding a middle ground but eveyone treating it like it’s another Lupe Fiaso type film (Get Out)

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think I needed a pay off. It went from a pump fake that I thought would've been the better adversary when homie got pranked by those kids to the real villain looking like a flying tortilla.

Hell... That Gordy story would've been waaaay more interesting. But yeah, acting was good, but the movie was way too long to really not have much to develop.

I liked that pump fake alien reveal too but then it would’ve been your typical big eyed grey Alien movie

I think the idea of flying saucers/ufos actually being a alien monster/animal hiding the clouds is original :manny:

And yea the Gordy side story was the highlight of the movie if we’re talking straight horror but I think it supports the main theme of the movie which is people trying to tame wild animals just to use or exploit them

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Screenrant ranked the characters in "Nope."

Gordy not coming in last place :ehh:

Holst over OJ? :mjtf::camby:

OJ was the best character in the movie. Kaluuya gave the best performance. Brev was hilarious.

I'm surprised they didn't put Emerald at #1. I don't like her character type: the estranged family member / sibling who doesn't have it all together and suddenly reappears back in everyone's lives, only to fukk shyt up cuz they a liability / desperate. My theater was completely flat during the climax when she was all emotional and shyt yelling "YEAAAH! Nobody fukks wit Haywood!" I saw that shyt and I was like :mjlol: but I know that's a minority opinion.

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
Holy shyt. You may be right. Here's what someone said in reddit.

OJ at the end of the movie.​

Em was staring at him through the haze, but he was beyond the “Out Yonder” sign which seems like a euphemism for the afterlife. I feel like it’s one of those things that’s up for interpretation.

I've seen it twice and never noticed. Now I'm really not sure.
Damn this movie is good as fukk, y’all might be right wow lol.

I need to watch this again damn.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

It’s all open for interpretation and it could be reaching :manny: but Peele is one of the most intentional and layered writers in the game. For example, she said the phrase get out twice in a row (I think-I need another watch). I don’t think that was just for kicks. Again, I could be wrong, but that’s part of the enjoyment.

I think the movie is good on it’s own without looking for multiple layers. The story, acting, cinematography, and directing were top notch. Only complaint was that i ran a little long for me.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Honestly would’ve liked to have seen the aftermath of the government finding this alien after it was killed
No hate but we already know what happens. Cover up, cover story, denial, classified.

If you’ve been paying attention the past few years, governments and political parties are very good at making people believe whatever it is they want them to believe.