Official NOPE Thread

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
So... Let's talk about Steven's character.

Steven developed a God Complex from the traumatic Gordy incident.

He builds the park or finds the Alien...

He been feeding it this whole time try to turn it into an attraction.

It explains the quote from the beginning.

It explains why Steven gave him that weird look about buying his horses back

It's why he has a weird ass room filled with memorabilia from the incident.

So... How long has he been feeding it horses?
:martin:
It was the first show
They were rehearsing

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
I really enjoyed it. Like Us, it ran long but the acting and story made up for it.

This was Jordan Peele’s commentary to the industry and how people view his directing career.

The animals, besides representing their own treatment, represented the treatment of black creatives.

The references to “get out”: one way to evade the alien and stay safe was to stay in shelter. Keke Palmer said she had to “get out the house” but it came at the risk of being killed. I feel this represented Peele wanting to try something out of the box and not only be known for Get Out, which is what he did with the Us and now Nope.

I also believe the first scene with Lucky was a reference to Get Out. The commercial scene when he saw his reflection and immediately bucked was similar to the flash waking up the black folks in Get Out.

The “Alien” rejecting decoy horse and the big blow up doll: I feel this represented how the general public rejected Us (i.e. a movie about decoys in a sense).

I think it also represented how the industry eats its own. It ate real horses and people, but it’s inability to distinguish real from fake was the ultimately the reason for its demise. The same can be said about Hollywood. The appetite for mindless tv and movies is killing the game.

I have some more idea that I’ll scribe out later after some thought.
Brilliant analysis.

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
yeah, this movie really confirming some shyt i've thought for a while with people calling everything trash. basic shyt going over their heads.
After I watched it I knew when I logged on here it would be a whole bunch posters hating on it.

I never trip of this sections thoughts on movies. This is the same place that will hype up shyt like Venom:mjlol: but shyt on this. Some people just want basic ass blockbuster flicks.:manny: Mothafukkas need explosions and car chases to enjoy a movie nowadays I guess.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Heres my analysis of Kaluyaa as OJ that really resonated with me. I think he was the standout star in this movie. From jump, it already set the expectation of who his character is. At the photoshoot, you see how anxious and unnerving he is around other people. He is one of those types that really don't think highly of humans because how they can be manipulative. He establishes early on how much he respects animals and sees them for what they are and not what we as humans make them out to be.

You can see that he was the type of son that did whatever his dad asked him to. He liked the slow ranch life, made him appreciate animals by caring for them on a daily basis. All he wanted was to work the ranch and that was fine for him. His father dealt with the business aspects dealing with other people and that's something he steered far away from until his fathers passing which forced him to step in that role.

Could he have been on the spectrum? Maybe. But the ranch was everything to him. And him being a loyal son and reverence for his dads legacy. Breh had to come out of that shell as best he could to protect what he and his dad built.

I also loved how intelligent he was. I initially thought the ufo was a ship or carrier. But he was the first to say no, that shyt is a creature itself. And using all his experience and instincts really helped him survive. Especially when he tried to save breh that flew off the motorcycle :mjlol: saw the creature coming and said :manny: i tried breh :russ: but if it was a horse, he definitely would've saved it at any cost:wow:. Just like he did for his sister at the end
blackish-watching-you.gif

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Movie is worth watching for the Gordy scenes alone.

I thought the alien was supposed to be a unique take on a giant jellyfish tentacled alien thing

He transforms when the kid makes him eat the barbed wire fence

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Mothafukkas need explosions and car chases to enjoy a movie nowadays I guess.

This is the same talking point used on this site since it started. Maybe the movie just didnt satisfy people bruh. No one once has mentioned needing car chases or eplosions. So gtfoh with that b.s.

Everytime people dont like a movie or criticize one this same talking point is posted. Get a new defense of films already. Maybe the movie just wasnt all that bruh. You can analyze it and go deep with it and say the horses represented this and the creature represented that. Ok. Fine. Still doesn't make it a great film.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
This is the same talking point used on this site since it started. Maybe the movie just didnt satisfy people bruh. No one once has mentioned needing car chases or eplosions. So gtfoh with that b.s.

Everytime people dont like a movie or criticize one this same talking point is posted. Get a new defense of films already. Maybe the movie just wasnt all that bruh. You can analyze it and go deep with it and say the horses represented this and the creature represented that. Ok. Fine. Still doesn't make it a great film.
The post they replied to was about ppl not getting it, when it was clearly spelled out