Official NOPE Thread

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
:dahell: Y'all do understand the concept of characters in movies right? A quiet, stoic, shy farm breh is the character Daniel Kaluuya was playing. Y'all sounding like you expected him to be Fred Hampton again.
Quiet and stoic is one thing….robotic is another. The man
Watched his father get killed right in front of him, and was like :unimpressed:And instead of being like ‘I have to kill this thing because of what it did to my dad’, he just goes along with the sister on filming it to make money. Maybe that’s the point that I missed in this, but it was executed poorly.
The characters weren’t the central problem with the movie. It was just an observation I made while watching.

Daps
:dahell: Y'all do understand the concept of characters in movies right? A quiet, stoic, shy farm breh is the character Daniel Kaluuya was playing. Y'all sounding like you expected him to be Fred Hampton again.
This nikka saw an alien and was more more concerned about his fukking horse. This is not a stoic character. Its a emotionless robot.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Quiet and stoic is one thing….robotic is another. The man
Watched his father get killed right in front of him, and was like :unimpressed:And instead of being like ‘I have to kill this thing because of what it did to my dad’, he just goes along with the sister on filming it to make money. Maybe that’s the point that I missed in this, but it was executed poorly.
The characters weren’t the central problem with the movie. It was just an observation I made while watching.
Yeah, because the first thing on your mind after watching your dad being killed is to take out an extraterrestrial ship. Good luck with that monumental task.

Y’all are killing me. :dead:

Daps

Seems no one really understood the point of Gordy, and what Peele was saying about animals.
From the very beginning, OJ is telling all these people, y'all need to respect this horse.
And they ain't trying to hear him. (prolly cause he can't talk)
His sista comes in with her stupid "safety presentation" while trying to sell herself - and she doesn't talk about safety much.

So what does the white dude do?

Comes in with that crazy mirror/orb/light meter thing and the horse PREDICTABLY bucks.

Flash forward to Asian Kid/Dude.

The show is about a family living with a chimpanzee.
They're having a birthday party.
The young daughter (who shows up as the mauled woman at the ranch) has a box of shiny ass mylar helium balloons.

Same flashy stuff that triggers horses.

Just like the horse, the chimp goes crazy.

The chimp attacks the girl, attacks the 'father' character trying to calm it down, and pops the balloons.

Asian Dude (Jupe) is not making direct eye contact with the chimp.
He's looking at the shoe (that's standing up) the whole time.
He's basically following the rules when it comes to animals.

After the last balloon is popped, the chimp comes back to "normal".
It's about to fist bump Gordy, like it does when it's normal, and then gets shot.

Jupe is traumatized and continues to be traumatized by this. When he talks about the story, he's visibly shaken.

But he thinks that he understood the chimp, and that the chimp would not hurt him.
He felt he had a special connection with animals.

With the "alien" aka Jean Jacket, he's been feeding Oj's horses to it for 6 months.
He's been attracting the alien for 6 months with the horses, the lights and the music.
When we see the "show" this is the first time he's going to show the public.

He thinks he has the alien under control. Just like he had the relationship with the Chimp.

Nope.
Really good write up. :ehh:

Makes me want to watch it again. I liked it, but felt it dragged a bit. Now I want to watch it knowing better what it’s trying to say. I’m sure I’ll really appreciate it then.

Daps
I will the the only thing i didnt like was
how they kept the alien from eating them. I mean all you gotta do is close your eyes or look away? Its not really even a threat at that point then. And it didnt make sense because horses running away dont sit n stare at the sky, so why did it eat them? I think it should have been able to beam anyone up if exposed out in the open

Like any predator, when it’s hungry it’s going to eat. So the Asian dude had been feeding it OJ’s horses for months. But then Keke fed it a fake horse and it started to become agitated (agitation of animals is a big theme of the movie). So the not looking in its eyes only works when trying to avoid being killed while is lashing out, not when it’s hungry.

Tetsuo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I saw that thread in TLR trashing this movie and thought it was gonna be wack, came out very satisfied with what I saw.

I told my mom to get us seats away from the entrance
She got us seats right by it
I'm like what if someone try to shoot this shyt up?
She was like oh...that's what you meant:francis:
When that guy shot up the theater for Dark Knight years ago, I made a habit of sitting in the back row at the corner and if I can't get seated there I don't go.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I saw that thread in TLR trashing this movie and thought it was gonna be wack, came out very satisfied with what I saw.

When that guy shot up the theater for Dark Knight years ago, I made a habit of sitting in the back row at the corner and if I can't get seated there I don't go.
Same.
I went because of that thread trashing the movie
I was pleasantly surprised

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The biggest issue with the movie IMO, was just the sheer stupidity of the bunch.
Like doing all that for a picture or footage of an alien in 2022?? That, by their assertion, at best would net 100K? With all the damage to their property, they wont even breakeven with their highest monetary estimate:pachaha:. It reminds me of the end of Glass where they have video evidence of people with powers. With deep fakes, cgi, photoshop etc etc, NO ONE is moved by that type of evidence.

And for a movie called Nope, none of the characters acted like I thought they would. They kept acting like the white boys in scary movies. When I thought the point of the 'nope' was black folk will see some wild shyt and be like "nope. Not my problem". These dudes really tried to tease and tame an alien to get a picture/ video to sell for some money:dead:
Real talk, they should've fukked around and found out like
Jupe