Official NOPE Thread

old soul

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was reminded of Jeff VanderMeer and, of course, of Lovecraftian horror. VanderMeer has these fantastical creatures and characters tied to standard post apocalyptic scifi elements. The space predator in Nope reminds me of some of the creatures from Borne

Dump Gawd

Im Exactly What You Think
Daps
Reppin
The 6ix
This movie was nothing special, I hated US and this was on the same level for me

I understood the point Jordan Peele was trying to make with animal exploitation but plot wise it feels there's nothing he was depending on the spectacle a bit too much

film ended weak for me

Gordy was the best thing about the film

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I really liked it. The suspense build-up in the first half was my favorite highlight of it all, especially the scene where
OJ encountered those “aliens” in the barn. One of the creepiest bits of the film and a brilliant fakeout for the audience.

I wish the film had maintained its darker, sinister tone throughout, but I’m not mad with what was presented. The second half had the heart and wonder of the beloved Spielberg classics. Keke Palmer was amazing in her performance and Perea did his thing as well - my first time seeing him in anything. Will give another watch over the weekend.
Yeah that was a great fakeout, wasn't even expecting that shyt.
I was like breh stop backing up and get outta there :damn:

calh45

Cal
Daps
Ppl are dumb
I was wondering what the monkey meant to the movie
But by the last third I understood it
It was still a good movie if you're not into the secondary meaning of it all. That might be the part I dug the most where if you didn't want to think super deep it was still a pretty good time.......I think it was more of a western than a horror movie now that I think about it.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Van Lathan on the Ringer today sounded like a lot of you Coli brehs today asking what the chimp scene had to do with the rest of the movie. I'm seriously shocked at how man people are somehow both looking too much into AND too little into that storyline. It ain't deep:
  • Peele uses it to establish rules about looking wild animals in the eye.
  • Peele also is showing that nature is unpredictable and never fully tameable.
  • Jupe gets the idea here that the chimp spared him when in reality, the chimp never saw his eyes since his face was partially covered by the tablecloth. Due to this, Jupe feels like he's charmed and special, I also think seeing the shoe stick up made him more susceptible to believe this.
  • The shoe is just something that stuck out in his memory of a traumatic experience, and also is a "bad miracle".
  • Saw this a couple places, studio lights are hot and popped the balloons. Jean Jacket wasn't present in this scene or causing the lights to flicker (also Jean Jacket didn't make the chimp go wild, seen that dumb shyt a few places.
meh. if the chimp didnt see the asian dude why he reach for a dap?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

Seems no one really understood the point of Gordy, and what Peele was saying about animals.
From the very beginning, OJ is telling all these people, y'all need to respect this horse.
And they ain't trying to hear him. (prolly cause he can't talk)
His sista comes in with her stupid "safety presentation" while trying to sell herself - and she doesn't talk about safety much.

So what does the white dude do?

Comes in with that crazy mirror/orb/light meter thing and the horse PREDICTABLY bucks.

Flash forward to Asian Kid/Dude.

The show is about a family living with a chimpanzee.
They're having a birthday party.
The young daughter (who shows up as the mauled woman at the ranch) has a box of shiny ass mylar helium balloons.

Same flashy stuff that triggers horses.

Just like the horse, the chimp goes crazy.

The chimp attacks the girl, attacks the 'father' character trying to calm it down, and pops the balloons.

Asian Dude (Jupe) is not making direct eye contact with the chimp.
He's looking at the shoe (that's standing up) the whole time.
He's basically following the rules when it comes to animals.

After the last balloon is popped, the chimp comes back to "normal".
It's about to fist bump Gordy, like it does when it's normal, and then gets shot.

Jupe is traumatized and continues to be traumatized by this. When he talks about the story, he's visibly shaken.

But he thinks that he understood the chimp, and that the chimp would not hurt him.
He felt he had a special connection with animals.

With the "alien" aka Jean Jacket, he's been feeding Oj's horses to it for 6 months.
He's been attracting the alien for 6 months with the horses, the lights and the music.
When we see the "show" this is the first time he's going to show the public.

He thinks he has the alien under control. Just like he had the relationship with the Chimp.

Nope.
nice breakdown. i felt the same way about it all except I missed the bold/underlined and didnt piece it together