Official NOPE Thread

Daps
What's this movie about? The plot isn't on Wiki.

In short, It's about animal exploitation, our relationship with nature, and how we think we can control it.

ColdSlither told you what it was about, but since you asked about the plot: it’s about a struggling black horse wrangler who notices a UFO in the sky above his ranch. Along with his sister and another guy, they try to record evidence/proof of its existence so they can sell it and become rich and famous. Things take a turn when they realize the UFO isn’t quite what they expected.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
so was he buying the horses from OJ to feed to the alien for the last 6 months? And he had been doing that and assuming it would only eat the 1 horse but since it was starving it fukked everybody up? Ok

I can rock with that explanation about camera guy. It just seemed weird.

And what was the point of getting it on film? I get it for proof but the entire plot just seemed to be record it and then… that’s it. Show the world. Make some money?

I don't think he was hungry. I think that's where Jean Jacket snapped, because it had eaten that fake horse and was agitated. I don't think it can handle anything not organic. Which is why it craps out coins, keys and everything else. They fukk up its stomach. It had just eaten that big ass fake horse, and was probably agitated like a wounded animal. Now here comes Glen trying to make it do tricks when it's not in the mood, like Gordy wasn't, and snapped. Just like how Lucky snapped when that idiot film crew guy kept doing stuff when OJ said chill.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
So did the ship arrive over the studio and make the ape go wild

I need more Gordy backstory

Don’t they send monkeys into outer space

:lupe:

Seems no one really understood the point of Gordy, and what Peele was saying about animals.
From the very beginning, OJ is telling all these people, y'all need to respect this horse.
And they ain't trying to hear him. (prolly cause he can't talk)
His sista comes in with her stupid "safety presentation" while trying to sell herself - and she doesn't talk about safety much.

So what does the white dude do?

Comes in with that crazy mirror/orb/light meter thing and the horse PREDICTABLY bucks.

Flash forward to Asian Kid/Dude.

The show is about a family living with a chimpanzee.
They're having a birthday party.
The young daughter (who shows up as the mauled woman at the ranch) has a box of shiny ass mylar helium balloons.

Same flashy stuff that triggers horses.

Just like the horse, the chimp goes crazy.

The chimp attacks the girl, attacks the 'father' character trying to calm it down, and pops the balloons.

Asian Dude (Jupe) is not making direct eye contact with the chimp.
He's looking at the shoe (that's standing up) the whole time.
He's basically following the rules when it comes to animals.

After the last balloon is popped, the chimp comes back to "normal".
It's about to fist bump Gordy, like it does when it's normal, and then gets shot.

Jupe is traumatized and continues to be traumatized by this. When he talks about the story, he's visibly shaken.

But he thinks that he understood the chimp, and that the chimp would not hurt him.
He felt he had a special connection with animals.

With the "alien" aka Jean Jacket, he's been feeding Oj's horses to it for 6 months.
He's been attracting the alien for 6 months with the horses, the lights and the music.
When we see the "show" this is the first time he's going to show the public.

He thinks he has the alien under control. Just like he had the relationship with the Chimp.

Nope.

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
i didnt look through the thread because im trying to avoid spoilers, but is this any good? I'm going to check it out tonight

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I've read a ton of reviews - and this was not a hard movie to understand at all. I'll let y'all folks work all the basic stuff out.

The thing that I have not seen any of the white critics speak on

What happens when you center a Black person in a horror movie?
Peele talks about this in a lot of the press around this movie, but apparently folks don't read.

When you bring up this discussion with Black people talking about horror movies...What would the black person do?

1) Nope - First sign of trouble, I'm out! Peace! I'm chunking the Deuce!

2) What happens when you try to surprise a black dude

And we see that happen in the movie.

But Peele's follow up to that we still end up trying to deal with the monster instead of running away.

Also shout out to the Akira slide. (And low key the monster is straight out of Evangelion, along with some of the Biblical stuff referenced)
And I might be the only person that used to drink Kirin Ichiban - but it was weird as hell to see them drink it.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
High-mid movie for me. I don't regret going to see it like I did with the Pet Sematary remake.
But....

I was getting a feeling that the "ship" or whatever was going to make the animals turn against the humans. Especially since they opened it up with that Cesar/Gordy shot.

I definitely wished for a more frightening looking alien though. I was more freaked out by the fake aliens than the real one. shyt, even the chimp was scarier than that Final Fantasy X looking ass thing.

I recommend though, it's definitely a unique film and hopefully gets other filmmakers inspired to keep making modern original sci-fi/horror stuff.
I thought the final design was horrifying. I'd reckon the majority of people would straight up collapse if they actually saw some shyt like that in person, alot of times what make thing horrifying is how unfathomable they appear. Like wtf was that

Last edited:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
The movie is about animal cruelty. About how we exploit nature, think we can control it and are on top of it all. That's where the Gordy, Lucky and Keith David flashback about Ghost come in. The cinematographer, and his scenes of him editing his nature footage, is there to tell you that Jean Jacket is a apex predator in it's natural element. You see it looks like a big ass balloon right? What was the government explanation for UFOs. "Oh it's a crashed weather balloon." I think these are natural predators, that can camouflage as clouds. But if you go telling people there's carnivorous cloud balloon beasts in the sky, they will panic. And for the most part they just chill. But six months prior, Ricky discovers it. But he repeated the sins of the past, because people thought they could control Gordy. He did the same thing with Jean Jacket. On the day OJ's father died, Jean Jacket ate an employee at Jupiter's, and expelled the waste from such a high altitude that a coin flew through Keith David's head. That was a warning for Ricky, just like there had probably been warnings with Gordy, but no one listened. And it happened again on a large scale with a whole audience, and he even had his costar there from the show. Jean Jacket snapped like Gordy from something traumatic. Some time earlier, Em fed it that fake horse. Up until then it was probably trusting of humans. But then a human fed it something that fukked up it's stomach, and was in a mood. So when Ricky tried to get it to come out, it saw Lucky, said nope, and snapped on everyone. The same thing happened with Lucky on the set of the commercial. OJ told the crew to not fukk him him like they were. They ignored it, because the show has to go on and they have to make that money, and Lucky kicked someone. They even showed a green screen horse being dragged in, because many productions do use CGI animals now. There was a whole Harrison Ford movie with all CGI dogs. There's less liability and no worry about the temperament of an animal. The last part of the movie is Jean Jacket on a rampage. He was like Gordy when he threw that hat off his head. He had enough of all that shyt.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Seems no one really understood the point of Gordy, and what Peele was saying about animals.
From the very beginning, OJ is telling all these people, y'all need to respect this horse.
And they ain't trying to hear him. (prolly cause he can't talk)
His sista comes in with her stupid "safety presentation" while trying to sell herself - and she doesn't talk about safety much.

So what does the white dude do?

Comes in with that crazy mirror/orb/light meter thing and the horse PREDICTABLY bucks.

Flash forward to Asian Kid/Dude.

The show is about a family living with a chimpanzee.
They're having a birthday party.
The young daughter (who shows up as the mauled woman at the ranch) has a box of shiny ass mylar helium balloons.

Same flashy stuff that triggers horses.

Just like the horse, the chimp goes crazy.

The chimp attacks the girl, attacks the 'father' character trying to calm it down, and pops the balloons.

Asian Dude (Jupe) is not making direct eye contact with the chimp.
He's looking at the shoe (that's standing up) the whole time.
He's basically following the rules when it comes to animals.

After the last balloon is popped, the chimp comes back to "normal".
It's about to fist bump Gordy, like it does when it's normal, and then gets shot.

Jupe is traumatized and continues to be traumatized by this. When he talks about the story, he's visibly shaken.

But he thinks that he understood the chimp, and that the chimp would not hurt him.
He felt he had a special connection with animals.

With the "alien" aka Jean Jacket, he's been feeding Oj's horses to it for 6 months.
He's been attracting the alien for 6 months with the horses, the lights and the music.
When we see the "show" this is the first time he's going to show the public.

He thinks he has the alien under control. Just like he had the relationship with the Chimp.

Nope.
What's the deal with that shoe?