Official Nas Thread

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Illmatic was the shyt but will it forever prevent other works of art by Nas' from getting classic status or re-release treatment? With the exception of the Lost Tapes, which is my favorite Nas project, his other great albums are albums are not getting their due as far as classic status or release treatment. Among others, It Was Written and Stillmatic are worthy of it and Life Is Good will be in a few years.
Illmatic, It Was Written, and Stillmatic to me are the 3 classic albums from Nas that either shifted/changed the rap game, were main events of a certain era, and responsible for many MCs styles, terminology, flow, blueprints and etc.

Illmatic doesn't really need an explanation.

It Was Written was shytted on by backpackers but the quality and influence of the album just couldn't be denied over time. The album catapulted Nas to superstar status. He became a focal point in the East vs. West controversy and Pac's final album being titled as the "ring leader". shyt, in that same album Pac was inspired by IWW and derived the concept of Me & My Girlfriend from I Gave You Power. That influence :wow: .Years later rappers were still inspired by that album. Lupe Fiasco would model his debut album Food & Liquor (which is a classic IMO) after it.

Stillmatic doesn't really need much explanation either. The whole Nas vs Jay beef was probably the greatest rap battle on the mainstream scale. Not only Ether but Stillmatic as a whole resurrected the faith of hip hoppers in Nas. Him being the GOAT has been written in stone ever since.

H.S.

All Star
Daps
Roc Marciano was also heavily influenced by It Was Written, and says he prefers it over Illmatic. His best album, Reloaded, reminds me of an underground version of IWW.

Rick Ross' best work was heavily influnced by The Firm, and he even featured half the group on Deeper Than Rap.

To your point, though, having a signature album doesn't negate the rest of an artist's work. John Coltrane, Bob Marley, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, etc all have signature albums.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps

LQwj1No.jpg

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, if the reality is Nas's Mass appeal compilation coming in the 4th quarter, followed by the new album possibly by the 2nd quarter of next year, then we aint seeing the Lost Tapes 2 til Christmas of next year. :noah:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas New album discussion:

What do we know?

No Such Thing as a White Jesus- was found and was said to one day to heard. Not sure the status of this. probably won't be on the album
Sinatra in the Sand- Timbaland track with Timberlake nas Jayz. Not excited about this. Hate when Nas has features

Nas recorded for a long time and had an album name ready to reveal but didn't. It is rumoured that he changed directions with the album. Probably lots of music sitting around

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nas New album discussion:

What do we know?

No Such Thing as a White Jesus- was found and was said to one day to heard. Not sure the status of this. probably won't be on the album
Sinatra in the Sand- Timbaland track with Timberlake nas Jayz. Not excited about this. Hate when Nas has features

Nas recorded for a long time and had an album name ready to reveal but didn't. It is rumoured that he changed directions with the album. Probably lots of music sitting around
Timbo said he was doing Nas album but then Nas said he had to step back from it and be re-inspired.

Doing the Time Is Illmatic documentary re-inspired him again and then he started recording.

No ID, Swizz Beatz, and Timb were the names I heard he was working with. Then last year I recall an interview were Pete Rock said they were cooking up something. Hopefully he can clique up with Large Pro

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Roc Marciano was also heavily influenced by It Was Written, and says he prefers it over Illmatic. His best album, Reloaded, reminds me of an underground version of IWW.

Rick Ross' best work was heavily influnced by The Firm, and he even featured half the group on Deeper Than Rap.

To your point, though, having a signature album doesn't negate the rest of an artist's work. John Coltrane, Bob Marley, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, etc all have signature albums.
Lupe actually got the Fiasco part in his name directly from the Firm's, Firm Fiasco song. Drake also states Nas as one of his biggest influences for his Thank Me Later album. I could see Drake loving It Was Written due to all the melodies in the album, the fact that he's a huge Lauryn Hill fan, Nas' singing on the Street Dreams hook.

"Nas was somebody that I used to listen to his raps and never understood how he did it. I always wanted to understand how he painted those pictures and his bar structure. I went back and really studied Nas and André 3000 and then came back with this album".

Covers are kinda similar :sas2:
Drake-Thank-Me-Later1.jpg

23197988.jpg

Gold selling American reggae artists/rapper Matisyashu said about IWW "I too, felt enslaved. By what?...Just felt the chains. The lyrics rocked...the beat did, too...it connected with hip-hop, the hardness of it, the driving beat. It’s music with space, that has gaps in every little thing that happens".

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Tim
Timbo said he was doing Nas album but then Nas said he had to step back from it and be re-inspired.

Doing the Time Is Illmatic documentary re-inspired him again and then he started recording.

No ID, Swizz Beatz, and Timb were the names I heard he was working with. Then last year I recall an interview were Pete Rock said they were cooking up something. Hopefully he can clique up with Large Pro

If Timbo came up with one track that would be a strong radio cut then I cna stomach it. Other than that, they need to can all his other shyt. Stick with No ID and Salaam agin . Through in a Large Pro, Pete Rock or preme joint as the street single and lets move on. I am just as eager, these days, for the content than the beats. If the Swizz Beats track is the one everyone said was dope from Life Is Good, then use that shyt and never work with Swizz again. I think he is gabage!

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
If Tim

If Timbo came up with one track that would be a strong radio cut then I cna stomach it. Other than that, they need to can all his other shyt. Stick with No ID and Salaam agin . Through in a Large Pro, Pete Rock or preme joint as the street single and lets move on. I am just as eager, these days, for the content than the beats. If the Swizz Beats track is the one everyone said was dope from Life Is Good, then use that shyt and never work with Swizz again. I think he is gabage!
Yeah Salaam and No ID are good money. Wouldn't mind some Alchemist for that Queens sound :banderas:

And yeah I wanna hear that "Street shyt" song with Swizz. Throw it on the album if it's as great as nikkas was hyping it to be. I'd be good with just one Swizz track.

It'll most likely end up on Lost Tapes 2

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Tim

It depends on whether what he and Nas came up with is as strong as what the producers brought to Life Is Good or better. Nas described what he did with Tim for the new album as "powerful". If that's the case, then it's definitely album worthy material. Tim's great at making radio friendly bangers, but he's also created some album gems.

Swizz is hit or miss. I'm not really a huge fan of Swizz's newer stuff aside from a few tracks. In fact, the last beats of his that I liked were co-produced with Timbaland (Jay's "Open Letter" and "Versus").

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My biggest confusion is what Def Jam is going to do with their left over Nas material. I wonder if that material is being considered for Lost Tapes 2 release. I know he is done with that project. It was in the can years ago. I just can't see Def Jam giving him the go ahead now and so easily when they didn't give it back when Nas wanted it to drop. Nas should go ahead and leak all them shyts CDQ No DJ.

Swizzi shyt is plain terrible. THe only shyt he ever did that is, to me, tolerable is the unreleased Nas track "Top Down". Other than that, his shyt is horrid.