Official Money and Violence Season 1 Discussion Thread

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I finished the whole thing a day ago and Leon + Jamacians made the show for me. I found myself skipping over a lot of Raefs parts cause it seems like dudes ego is massive.The amount of corny overdrawn lines he was given himself in order to try and be an "actor" pissed me off.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
i dont think they are up to any kind of improv.

if you check around their youtube channel, you'll see a video where its basically out takes. dudes cant get their written lines right 100% of the time.

right i saw on their breakfast club interview how rafe said he works better under pressure. i think he said he writes the episode the same week they start filming right? i might be wrong. but i dont see how they have time to memorize all their lines in that short time period.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
On ‘Money & Violence’ And The Importance Of The Black Narrative
51 mins ago - By Bossip Staff

YouTube Show Offers Fresh Perspective On Black Street Experience

Money & Violence is a low-budget Youtube drama about stick-up kids and drug dealers in New York City. And it’s the most talked-about non-Empire show in the mystical world of Black Twitter. Every episode since its August debut has amassed at least half a million views and it’s as addicting as the white stuff the corner boys are pushing. On its surface, M&V is a typical movie about drugs and guns in the Black community. At first glance, the show is something the Black intellectual community would scoff at as detrimental for us to consume. But Money & Violence is much more. The YouTube hit is a story about trust, friendship and moral ambiguity. It only takes an episode to get drawn into the moral dilemmas of the main characters. They murder and steal but they live by codes. And they honor them with their lives.

What also makes the show unique is that it’s a show devoid of White people. Anywhere. While The Wire is arguably the most realistic visual of an urban mostly-Black drug trade, it’s a story that’s still told under the narrative of a White power structure. The Wire explained all of the political and socio-economic functions that created the Baltimore projects – and it did so brilliantly. M&V functions on a micro level. Yes, we know or at least have a vague understanding of the political decisions that led Miz and his crew to rob and sell drugs for a living, but this isn’t about that. It’s about how the characters navigate their terrain, surviving by any means. M&V is insulated Blackness. It’s a Black experience independent of White characters, White saviors and White power. There’s nothing like it on television. For as great as Black-ish is, it’s a show about maintaining Blackness in a wholly White world. Empire comes close but it’s so over-the-top that it’s insane to consider it even remotely realistic. These shows are important, but M&V is something else entirely.

By the end of M&V’s first season, I’m emotionally invested in the main characters’ tragedies. The characters are products of their environments, bad decisions and quests for power. M&V’s writer-director, Moetivation, said he plucked stories from his and his friends’ personal experiences and hired acquaintances to act out the scenes. The language is authentic, so much so that it’s actually helped me understand half the things rappers say when they’re talking about street life. Most importantly, the show demonstrates the importance and placement of Black narratives in the American creative process.

The reason Money & Violence is so compelling is that it tells a story that no one has ever broached from such an intimate perspective. There are details about the characters’ lifestyles that can only come from those who lived it. What’s lost is that these stories are all across America. Every corner or public school or business has a story about Blackness that’s ignored because the storytellers aren’t allowed in the discussion about America. Watch Fruitvale Station again; it didn’t take an execution-style murder to make his story worth telling.

Black inclusion in America’s creative consciousness isn’t new. However, Black stories told by Black people, executed by Black people and done in a way that’s unimpeachably true are all too rare. Moe’s story of street corner ethics is just as needed as Whitley’s story of discovering her blackness on a HBCU campus. We need Money & Violence just as much as we need A Different World. These stories make up the oeuvre of the Black experience. And if we don’t tell them, who will?

Contrast M&V to Noisey’s documentary on, well, anything Black. Noisey treats Blackness like a ride at Six Flags, a scary adrenaline rush that they want to enjoy as long as they know they’ll eventually get off and go back to their glorious whiteness. Blackness is treated as a spectacle, with the hipster-y White guy gazing in awe as trap rapper du jour metaphorically tap dances with his favorite gun. Blackness has no redeemable quality for Noisey’s documentaries. And for the longest time, these voyeurs have controlled the Black narrative, essentially creating propaganda films for any neighborhood watch racist who needs a frame of reference when he sees a Black teen in a hood.

Money & Violence is so much more. The show isn’t afraid to admit that, yes, there are Black men in this world who will rob you or carry guns wherever they go. They’re alive. But they are more nuanced, morehuman with real stresses, cares and regrets that Noisey doesn’t care to explore.

Money & Violence shows how we can control our own narratives. How, regardless what a television network, Oscar Academy or blogger says, our voices and, by default, lives matter.

Really good write up in regards to the shows message. I highlighted the bold for those who see shows like Noisey and glorify its existence when all it glorifies is propoganda for racists and media trolls like the guy who interviews the artists.

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Any word on season 2
I think they need to strike while the irons hot

i think they wanna see what kind of money they can get poured into the show.

a good amount of the things that would make sense for season 2 will take some money to get done.

just the part where the cops might be involved regarding shane. thats real actors and props (cop cars) you would need to pull that off convincingly.

and if something like the diamond district heist was to be filmed, you'd want to be able to pay for a real location to shoot that in

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
I finished the whole thing a day ago and Leon + Jamacians made the show for me. I found myself skipping over a lot of Raefs parts cause it seems like dudes ego is massive.The amount of corny overdrawn lines he was given himself in order to try and be an "actor" pissed me off.
Look at it like this... The show doubles as an Crime Drama and an After School special :heh:

Some women who lost her son to Street Violence personally contracted Rafe to thank him for explaining to the viewers the downside of the street life :manny: he mentioned that in the Breakfast Club interview they did.

I assume you're an adult, the corny overdrawn lines are directed at kids, not adults.

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
i think they wanna see what kind of money they can get poured into the show.

a good amount of the things that would make sense for season 2 will take some money to get done.

just the part where the cops might be involved regarding shane. thats real actors and props (cop cars) you would need to pull that off convincingly.

and if something like the diamond district heist was to be filmed, you'd want to be able to pay for a real location to shoot that in

They could just send a black impala over to Shane's crib. He's only a potential suspect. I doubt police will send 5 cop cars over an anonymous 911 tip.
And I doubt rafe still wants to do the diamond district heist. He had a funny feeling about it even before black showed his true colors.

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.
Theres plenty of time to write the storyline for season two then start taping in the summer

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Theres plenty of time to write the storyline for season two then start taping in the summer

word hopefully itll lead to few inconsistancies
very first episode shane is runnin around with a gun
then miz is always checkin him and he never has a gun talkin about he dont need 1
then for the labor day parade he robs someone with a gun

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
then miz is always checkin him and he never has a gun talkin about he dont need 1
I didnt take that as him not needing a gun. It's just if he wasnt putting in work he wouldnt pack it, like he would chill on the block and be comfortable. Miz was trying to school young'n.....

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota

summer? man that's too long. you gotta strike while the iron is hot. id give it 2-3 months tops. only because everyone still ain't up on it yet. im trying to get cats to watch it but they wont give it a chance.

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.

They have alot of ground to cover because theres so many questions, will any main characters die, will new ones be introduced

summer? man that's too long. you gotta strike while the iron is hot. id give it 2-3 months tops. only because everyone still ain't up on it yet. im trying to get cats to watch it but they wont give it a chance.

True everybody is checkin for them now interviews etc, as far as fans go they can use this time to catch up and binge watch if they missed any episodes

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
He's getting under my skin being so friggin preachy.