[Official] MGSV: The Phantom Pain Thread: GOTY Edition.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
For those that have beat the game, MAD theories are out. peep this tho

I knew something was up with Ishmael, first time I played the prologue , I figured big boss was tripping on some fight club shyt, come to find out, Ishmael has BOTH eyes, and NO facial hair. And peep how he disappears and re appears throughout the prologue.

Something is definitely up with mission 46.

didn't Quiet shoot him in the hospital?

something is wrong

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Quiet's Theme is :banderas:.

Man...

I haven't played a game for THIS long and finished it in a while. This game is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than MGS4 imo it's not even funny. MGS4 couldn't even keep me awake half the times I was playing it. This felt very personalized. I liked it alot. I wish DLC would come to wrap up the story bits but all in all I wasn't even disappointed as some dramatic gamers made the ending(s) out to be.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
chapter 2 just seems like a mess. like I said before, there's no explanation for the repeat missions. the Quiet ending (mission 45) kind of fits, I guess, although I wish there was a way to get her back for the remaining missions. all in all it seems like Quiet is the only one that gets a complete story in this game. but then chapter 46 just comes out of nowhere, and has no real build up. it's just like all of a sudden you're playing the prologue again, with some slight changes. obviously this is the big twist or whatever, but the pacing of the story doesn't really build up to that. and then why are there some more repeat missions after that? I guess it would have worked a little better with the missing mission 51, but that's not there either

I think the repeat 'extreme' missions are a good idea, but they should be an optional thing for replayability. not just arbitrarily thrown into the mix in chapter 2. shyt just totally breaks the immersion and the pacing of the story

it just seems obvious shyt went wrong, and they threw the second half of the game together with some pieces they had laying around. it really was a let down in what was seeming like such a great game :francis:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
didn't Quiet shoot him in the hospital?

something is wrong

she stabs Ishmael with a knife but there's no blood, after that she chokes you (venom) out. Then venom wakes up to the sound of a lighter and its thrown on her.

Ishmael tells you after ward "we" gave her a lift down. :jbhmm:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
chapter 2 just seems like a mess. like I said before, there's no explanation for the repeat missions. the Quiet ending (mission 45) kind of fits, I guess, although I wish there was a way to get her back for the remaining missions. all in all it seems like Quiet is the only one that gets a complete story in this game. but then chapter 46 just comes out of nowhere, and has no real build up. it's just like all of a sudden you're playing the prologue again, with some slight changes. obviously this is the big twist or whatever, but the pacing of the story doesn't really build up to that. and then why are there some more repeat missions after that? I guess it would have worked a little better with the missing mission 51, but that's not there either

I think the repeat 'extreme' missions are a good idea, but they should be an optional thing for replayability. not just arbitrarily thrown into the mix in chapter 2. shyt just totally breaks the immersion and the pacing of the story

it just seems obvious shyt went wrong, and they threw the second half of the game together with some pieces they had laying around. it really was a let down in what was seeming like such a great game :francis:

They are optional. but I agree, chapter two just has me :dwillhuh: as a whole. It's really only half a chapter and it sucks because things were just getting interesting.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps

I agree it was disjointed and clearly rushed, but I don't get why people keep asking for an explanation plot wise for repeat missions, they are completely optional and don't have to be done to complete the story. They are just extras with modifiers on them.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

My main complaint of the game was the structure and pacing of it overall. Doing each mission by "episode" fukked it all up because one minute you're in a failing chopper with Code Talker and mist surrounding you and then a few minutes later you're sitting in the same chopper looking at your Idroid playing music and cassette tapes. I mean it should've just continued from there. Too many mission just felt disjointed from the overall story that made pacing off. I kind of got to grips with it but still..

Another thing I didn't like was how each mission had spoilers pretty much before starting like damn I didn't want to know the Man on Fire appears in this episode.
Also certain cassette tapes would've been better off as cinematics and shyt. Those overly long ones too. Having big shyt like that on a tape was weird as hell.
As for the missions in Chapter 2, since I already knew ahead that they weren't necessary I ignored them but I can see newcomers playing through them thinking they're important. I didn't do any of them while playing. I just did a few side ops and important ones and new story details came about. Also I did Mission 46 before mission 45 and it was kind of jarring having to actually replay the WHOLE mission over just to get a few different viewpoints that led to the twists. I would've preferred if the scene where he looks into the mirror and sees his reflection but instead of showing his reflection it would've cut to the cutscene and then you'd find out you're actually playing in FOR Big Boss.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
They are optional. but I agree, chapter two just has me :dwillhuh: as a whole. It's really only half a chapter and it sucks because things were just getting interesting.
they are optional, but the player wouldn't really know that unless they read around online, or discover that doing side-ops unlocks more missions. it's just weird that they're thrown into the mix as numbered 'main missions'. it just shows how strange and disorganized chapter 2's progression is

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
they are optional, but the player wouldn't really know that unless they read around online, or discover that doing side-ops unlocks more missions. it's just weird that they're thrown into the mix as numbered 'main missions'. it just shows how strange and disorganized chapter 2's progression is
I agree it's weird how they are lumped in like that. However everything story related in main missions or side ops has yellow with it.

Yellow dots next to story missions relevant to the plot, and yellow text for side ops relevant to the plot.

The repeat missions had white dots next to them. Could've been explained though

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I agree it's weird how they are lumped in like that. However everything story related in main missions or side ops has yellow with it.

Yellow dots next to story missions relevant to the plot, and yellow text for side ops relevant to the plot.

What's the point of the repeat missions?

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
What's the point of the repeat missions?
I assume to pad out the length of the second chapter, or at least make it superficially seem longer.

They are chapter 1 missions with modifiers like 'total stealth' meaning failed if you get an alert. Or 'extreme' which is high difficulty, or 'subsistence' which means you procure all weapons or items during the mission and start with nothing.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

yeah, but the situation ends up being that doing a certain number of the white dot missions does progress the story

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
yeah, but the situation ends up being that doing a certain number of the white dot missions does progress the story
I did side ops to progress it, but you're right, there's some sort of hidden time/mission-done factor before the next story missions unlock.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I'm have played this game for endless hours and I'm only 28% done :mindblown:

that being said, I haven't used d-horse since d-dog became a full sized dog.

I ONLY use quiet and d-dog for missions. I don't even really like using d-walker that much TBH.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
she stabs Ishmael with a knife but there's no blood, after that she chokes you (venom) out. Then venom wakes up to the sound of a lighter and its thrown on her.

Ishmael tells you after ward "we" gave her a lift down. :jbhmm:

only thing I can think of is hallucinations?