85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
I want accuracy to the source material. I don't care a Latino played Namor, I don't think injecting tons of Mayan/Aztec culture into it was unnecessary and derailed from the wonderful Arican inspired culture the character and film is supposed to be about. I'd rather that get its own film and character, which I would watch unless it looked trash.

Namor and BP are mortal enemies. They are the flipside to eachothers coin. You can't do Black Panther without Namor.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

NAH fukk THAT.

THEY COULD HAVE WROTE
IT IN A BETTER WAY OTHER THAN
HER TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK
AND JOINING FORCES WITH HIM....

:scust:STANDING UNITED AS THEY
FLOATED BACK TO THE SHIP.

THAT WAS SOME OF THE
WORST shyt IVE EVER SEEN.

THEY COULD HAVE EASILY
HAD HIM SURVIVE HIS DEATH BLOW
UNBEKNOWNST TO HER
AND SHOWED HIM IN AN
AFTER CREDIT SCENE.
:devil:
:evil:

I wouldn't be opposed to her failing an attempt to kill him myself, tbh. I would wonder how would that resolve the rest of the battle ending tho. A retreat upon hearing their God had fallen?:patrice: Maybe....

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I wouldn't be opposed to her failing an attempt to kill him myself, tbh. I would wonder how would that resolve the rest of the battle ending tho. A retreat upon hearing their God had fallen?:patrice: Maybe....

THEY COULD HAVE SIMPLY
HAD THE WAKANDANS WIN
THE fukkING BATTLE
IN THEIR OWN MOVIE.

WHATS SO HARD ABOUT THAT?

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Talokan hardly hijacked the movie. Outside of Namor, their characters weren't even that developed (a run-time issue more than anything) and their origin scenes was all of 10 minutes in a 165 minute movie. They literally got 15 minutes of fame and ninjas losing their mind. Would you rather have another set of throway marvel villains really?! The plot had them in the center because they're the main antagonists (on the surface anyways :sas2:), so they should get some noteworthy attention.

And as much as I like Winston Duke's M'Baku here, even more than the first movie, which his re-write also isn't too comic book accurate, by all rights, he SHOULD BE getting washed by Namor and any Black Panther in context of the MCU for him. He's a regular human with no suit at the end of the day.
It didn't make me lose my mind but you mentioned run time and I think there's a relation

I felt the run time of this movie and it's mostly because I didn't enjoy the second half and felt like shyt was kinda all over the place

The way it's constructed Talokan world building robs chances for Wakandan world building

And I'm not saying anything like I wanted M'Baku to wash Namor, my overall point is him lacking opportunities at competence and prowess in relation to everyone else

And you better keep that "regular human" energy when Cap 4 comes out and Sam inevitably gets washed:mjlol:

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps

THEY COULD HAVE SIMPLY
HAD THE WAKANDANS WIN
THE fukkING BATTLE
IN THEIR OWN MOVIE.

WHATS SO HARD ABOUT THAT?

No t'challa no victory

Let them age up his son now thru time travel/multiverse fukkery and get him ready just in time for BP3

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
No t'challa no victory

Let them age up his son now thru time travel/multiverse fukkery and get him ready just in time for BP3

TCHALLA LET THE MAN
WHO KILLED HIS FATHER LIVE
AND THEY WENT OUT OF THEIR
WAY TO PUT EMPHASIS ON
THAT IN THIS MOVIE
SO MENTIONING HIM MAKES
NO SENSE.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It didn't make me lose my mind but you mentioned run time and I think there's a relation

I felt the run time of this movie and it's mostly because I didn't enjoy the second half and felt like shyt was kinda all over the place

The way it's constructed Talokan world building robs chances for Wakandan world building

And I'm not saying anything like I wanted M'Baku to wash Namor, my overall point is him lacking opportunities at competence and prowess in relation to everyone else

And you better keep that "regular human" energy when Cap 4 comes out and Sam inevitably gets washed:mjlol:

Sam got wings, vibranium shield and gadgets. Much more than anything M'Baku has been shown to have. Plus is more of a heroic, protagonistic character comparatively as well. In the books, film, cartoon, wherever.

The Talokan world building did not take away from Wakandans at all.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
First of Namor in the comics is the by-product of an Ship captain/Atlantean mother, so back in those days he would've been at the very least half white/half fantasy race. The way he is drawn, a lot of early comic book heroes and villain's were drawn like that,

atlanteans came from earth so are going to come from an earth "ethnicity"

"In the Marvel Universe, Atlantis was a small continent (about the same size as modern Australia) with many human settlements. Over 21,000 years ago, an event called the "Great Cataclysm" caused it to be submerged into the sea."

"hero" namor was drawn like that by john byrne for example. nothing to do with "early".

his ethnicity is a common question, in particular because of the way he has been drawn most of the time whether that be "early" depictions or very recent ones.

byrne:

01e81d30ecfe34d5f6769f0dc43035c3.jpg

similar questions were asked of northstar and aurora.

despite similar looks quicksilver as a non-human "inhuman" doesn't get the same number of questions as he is rightly assumed to be non-human (modified pre modern humans/ethnicities).

so yeah he could have been up to 50% gringo. he may not have been. what he was though and still is, is asian looking enough to be played by an nothern-asian like japanese or korean.

he clearly doesn't have chinese features but yeah ... IYKYK ..

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Namor's classic look was mostly the product of yellow peril racism(won't even touch on a lot of other racist elements in Marvel or DC) that ran rampant in the comics industry and other media during the 30s-50s

The fact that so many artists kept that racist depiction and even modernized it says a lot about the comic book fans and you will see these same fans preaching faithfulness to the source material above all else like they aren't secretly asking for a racist depiction to be canonized

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly.

If he was Korean they'd be calling it a handout in response to Stop Asian Hate :mjlol:

The only solution is to remove Namor entirely.

What other comic book movie do people go into with so much personal baggage and insecurity? They want Black Panther with strong males, submissive women, no other races, a recast T'challa all to fill some void that has nothing to do with entertainment. Grown ass men trying to live vicariously through a movie :pachaha:

Wait, does strong representation, controlling your image, and the like matter or not?

It’s weird for black men to want to see strong, heroic representations of black men? No other group thinks like that.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Namor and BP are mortal enemies. They are the flipside to eachothers coin. You can't do Black Panther without Namor.
I'm aware of ths. Again, let me be very clear. I have zero issues with Namor being the villain (it was coming eventually regardless). I have zero issues with a Latino playing the character, I just feel making the Atlantians as a whole Latino was unnecessary and it looks like "Black and Brown coalition" propaganda, and came off corny. Like when he explains how he chose his name? Complete and total reach. It made for some decent setpieces and costumes, but was it needed? What did it add besides pandering? I'm sure there is worldbuilding and culture in the comics, Coogler just wanted to get on some "people of color" shyt 'cause reasons.