Official Mass Effect Discussion Thread - Um...happy N7 Day

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
Mass Effect 2 & 3 overhauled with a huge fan-made texture pack
Alec Meer on December 1st, 2017 at 3:43 pm.

Share this:

mass-effect-textures-620x320.jpg

Face still feeling tired after the whole Mass Effect: Andromeda debacle? Well, the earlier, better games haven’t stopped existing, y’know. Maybe revisiting them with a slightly more 2017 look will scratch your itch. For instance, with these mods that add over 3,000 replacement, higher-res, 4K-friendly textures to Mass Effect 2 & 3.

Texture packs are not in and of themselves an act of kindness – often, they wind up making the game look disjointed or more artificial, or indelicate use of sharpening and noise filters just makes them look horrendous in motion, or the modders get carried away with added details or tweaked colours that noticeably impact the game’s creator-intended appearance, or NPC faces wind up looking like makeup was applied with a catapult.

Fortunately, looking through videos and screens of the A Lot Of Textures (aka ALOT) 2017 ME2 and 3 packs, it appears that, in the main, discretion has been exercised and the broad result is indeed the same games but sharper.

Textures are hardly the be-all and end-all of what makes a game look hot or not, of course, but I do find stuff like NPCs with detailed faces sat atop shirt collars that look like pixel soup to be a mite distracting. As such, it’s the armours and outfits that most pop with these mod packs, although there is perhaps an over-reliance on added nicks and dents.

Take a look at it in action, complete with a few screeny-wipey before and after shots:

denim-gun-620x351.jpg

Unfortunately at present you can’t choose what you do and don’t want installed, so expect a bit of rough-with-smooth if you give this a shot. Oh, I should note that the ALOT 2017 mod packs are not themselves the work of their uploader CreeperLava, but rather he compiled, with permission, thousands of textures made by a dozen-odd other modders – full credits are on the download pages. For Mass Effect 2 that’s here, and for Mass Effect 3 it’s here.

Mass Effect 2 & 3 overhauled with a huge fan-made texture pack
--------------------------

I am going to try this on my next play though

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
Look what I found. It takes place right before Mass Effect 2. The summary is right below the video. It's also streaming on Hulu if you have it. :popcorn:

Mass Effect Paragon Lost
Alliance Marine James Vega (Freddie Prinze Jr.) leads a squad of elite soldiers in a battle against an alien threat. After a fierce battle, Vega takes command of all the planet's forces, but he learns that victory in war comes at a heavy price.

Last edited:

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
Look what I found. It takes place right before Mass Effect 2. The summary is right below the video. It's also streaming on Hulu if you have it. :popcorn:

Mass Effect Paragon Lost
Alliance Marine James Vega (Freddie Prinze Jr.) leads a squad of elite soldiers in a battle against an alien threat. After a fierce battle, Vega takes command of all the planet's forces, but he learns that victory in war comes at a heavy price.

I watched most of this and if they were going to make a movie about a character other than Shepard, I would have preferred it to be about Ashley. I don't really care about Vega to watch a full film about him. To make things worse, they had the audacity to compare the foolishness Vega going through to the suicide mission of ME 2. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I instead watched the Best Parts of Paragon Lost video below. I suggest you do the same.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I have an itch to play the trilogy again. Is there a collection with all the dlc included on pc?

Wish they remastered this shyt for the ps4. :mjcry:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I have an itch to play the trilogy again. Is there a collection with all the dlc included on pc?
The pack that includes all the games has no DLC

:snoop:

Mass-Effect-trilogy_vignette-p.jpg

EA slick

I'm playin' 3, right now on X1 (360 version of course)

I was this close to coppin' Omega and Citadel til I realized $30 could go towards a game

I already have a bunch of DLC for the PC version

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps

Wish they remastered this shyt for the ps4. :mjcry:

Beamdog was founded by a former member of Bioware. Since the company started they have been remastering old Bioware games. So far they have done baldurs gate, icewind Dale, planescape torment. They are currently working on Neverwinter nights. I am hoping that they will eventually get to remaster at least the original Mass Effect. That would be a day one buy for me.