Official Lovecraft Country Thread

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree. I read the book. To have the father - and especially one as strong as Montrose be gay - and dating Trans or whatever they are called men -- is fukked up. And to have every big show on HBO have a Black man and father -- during that time (period pieces) be made out like they are gay or had gay tendencies is wrong.

Truth is Black masculinity still terrifies closet racist white liberals just as much their openly racist alt right counterparts. But this is the weak representation of black men they all prefer, just like how corporate America prefers to hire and promote gay black men and black women over straight black males.

It's beyond obvious at this point what HBO and these other networks are doing is strategic and agenda driven. The fact they are doing it with the historical backdrop is even more insulting. They can easily showcase black gay characters without attacking black masculinity and compromising the strong black characters in these shows.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
The strongest male character is Tic and the second strongest male character was George. I get what you sayin but Omar hasn't been a strong character at all in this show and he ain't a head of household

I understand.

But he's a father though. Tic's father. An uncle -- and a protector of his family.

My issue is these are period pieces - they are coming at our Fathers, Grandfathers and Great Grandfathers with this mess. We can't even keep our masculine role-models and figures of the past -- now they are trying to portray them as gay.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
We'll see about that....

Even if he doesn't pan out to be. He is still seen as a father, brother, uncle and protector. This is ahistorical and destructive to the Black male image (as well as the Black family) in media. Which is already stereotypical, false and has damaged generations of Black men GLOBALLY.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Even if he doesn't pan out to be. He is still seen as a father, brother, uncle and protector. This is ahistorical and destructive to the Black male image (as well as the Black family) in media. Which is already stereotypical, false and has damaged generations of Black men GLOBALLY.
:salute:Thank you!

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
So far we've gotten 2 group episodes, we got Ruby & Montrose's episode, and Leti's episode(Jurnee acted her ass off in her ep.).
I guess next week is Tic's episode, but I've heard from people who've read the book that Hippolyta's episode might be the best of the bunch. That's the one I can't wait to see!

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I'm sorry - as a Black woman - I am tired of seeing Black men being portrayed as Gay and DL in these shows. First Watchmen, now LoveCraft. And what's fukked up - they are usually a father, or head of a household.

I didn't need to see all that last night. Another anal scene with Black men - go HBO.. not.

Exactly. With Hooded Justice, the dislike was superficial because from a story standpoint, HJ was suspected to be a gay black man from the source material all along. We just didnt like the visuals of one of the only strong men on television throwing his family in the bushes to fukk a white man. But this here with Montrose, is extremely contrived.

The source material for The Watchmen implied Hooded Justice was a black man and may have been gay. It's a pretty popular theory among The Watchmen fanbase, so that happening isn't necessarily a big deal to me. If anything, it was just a nod to the popular theory being correct since we'll never know with Alan Moore being the dikkhead he is today.

I haven't read Lovecraft Country yet (picked up the book from Amazon and will start soon), but this came off as forced on the show. I have no idea if Montrose is actually gay in the source material, but it does feel like every major HBO show has a requirement of having a gay character. I honestly can't think of one HBO show that I watched that didn't thinking back now :russ:

Edit - I guess True Detective Season 1 :patrice: