Official Lovecraft Country Thread

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I know the :wrist: scenes threw off a lot of us, but the main takeaway for me was the big middle finger that tonight's episode pointed at c00ns, MAGAc00ns, Nu-Blacks, sellouts, bedwenches, team #NoShapeUp, and other lost negroes.
In episodes 4 & 5, Ruby mentions how much easier her life would be if she were white.
When William turns her white for the first time, Ruby almost causes a Black boy's lynching by the police (this scene had some nice subtlety to it; when the cops rolled up, Ruby got on code with the rest of the Black people, and when Ruby spoke up for the young brother, the rest of the black people gave her a look of approval- -like they were inviting her to "the cookout").
However, less than 48 hours later, Ruby has embraced her white skin so much that she said she didn't need the bankroll that William gave her because "the only currency she needed was whiteness".
Once Ruby got her job at the department store, one of the first things she did was undermine, insult, and exert power over the Black saleslady.
When the white women were in the break room listening to Pat Boone, Ruby took it upon herself to buckdance for them, even while they made racist comments and jokes about Tamera.
Ruby wanted another hit of whiteness so badly that she even played a house servant (house negro?) when William needed her to.
After 4 (that I counted, there could've been more) negro wakeup calls, Ruby finally raises up her hand (and shoe heel) up to harm a white man. However, by the end of the episode, Ruby still hasn't fully abandoned her whiteness.
When I watched this episode, I kept thinking that Misha Green (the showrunner) was sending a message to the Candace Owens / Jesse Lee Peterson types that no matter how much they c00n & act anti-black, actual white folks would never accept them as anything more than "n****r bytches". Even deeper, if this is how Ruby's scene played out in the book, then the white author is giving c00ns the same ether!

RawDogBandit

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis/ATL
Ruby’s transformation outside the bar was wild as fukk :picard:
Letitia must have that :wow:. Cause Attticus doesn’t even get 20 strokes in each time

I don’t understand the meaning of ole boy coming out the closet? Was it like a transformation thing to go along with Rubys???
Either way. I didn’t care for it.:yeshrug:. Hell I want to know why he killed the Indian lady.

Next week looks good. Takes us away for a bit and we get some Asian persuasion :shaq:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Ehh the show isn’t over so saying it has no need isn’t right . Especially with it seemin to fit into the theme of tonight’s episode. They hinted at him being gay last episode as well
The source material doesn’t have his father being gay dude hanging out at drag balls. The show follows enough of that material that the overarching story will be the same. Meaning the story could be told without turning him gay for tv and in doing so, any changes that they make with his story was specifically changed, not to make it better but JUST to make him gay. That’s a writing faux pas.

Miles Davis

Prince of Darkness
Daps
Reppin
Bebop
I know the :wrist: scenes threw off a lot of us, but the main takeaway for me was the big middle finger that tonight's episode pointed at c00ns, MAGAc00ns, Nu-Blacks, sellouts, bedwenches, team #NoShapeUp, and other lost negroes.
In episodes 4 & 5, Ruby mentions how much easier her life would be if she were white.
When William turns her white for the first time, Ruby almost causes a Black boy's lynching by the police (this scene had some nice subtlety to it; when the cops rolled up, Ruby got on code with the rest of the Black people, and when Ruby spoke up for the young brother, the rest of the black people gave her a look of approval- -like they were inviting her to "the cookout").
However, less than 48 hours later, Ruby has embraced her white skin so much that she said she didn't need the bankroll that William gave her because "the only currency she needed was whiteness".
Once Ruby got her job at the department store, one of the first things she did was undermine, insult, and exert power over the Black saleslady.
When the white women were in the break room listening to Pat Boone, Ruby took it upon herself to buckdance for them, even while they made racist comments and jokes about Tamera.
Ruby wanted another hit of whiteness so badly that she even played a house servant (house negro?) when William needed her to.
After 4 (that I counted, there could've been more) negro wakeup calls, Ruby finally raises up her hand (and shoe heel) up to harm a white man. However, by the end of the episode, Ruby still hasn't fully abandoned her whiteness.
When I watched this episode, I kept thinking that Misha Green (the showrunner) was sending a message to the Candace Owens / Jesse Lee Peterson types that no matter how much they c00n & act anti-black, actual white folks would never accept them as anything more than "n****r bytches". Even deeper, if this is how Ruby's scene played out in the book, then the white author is giving c00ns the same ether!

Something else you didn’t mention, when Ruby and Tamara are at the bar with the coworkers there’s metaphorical line at the table where the two sisters(even though she’s Hillary here) are stoic and still while the white coworkers are loose and dancing.