Official Lovecraft Country Thread

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
I'm confused about the ending. Does the ring that Christina gave Tic have any significance besides getting rid of her father and the Order?

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Something else you didn’t mention, when Ruby and Tamara are at the bar with the coworkers there’s metaphorical line at the table where the two sisters(even though she’s Hillary here) are stoic and still while the white coworkers are loose and dancing.
They know they can do whatever they want even when completely outa their element.

'White women are the most dangerous people in the world!"

- Michael Che

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The source material doesn’t have his father being gay dude hanging out at drag balls. The show follows enough of that material that the overarching story will be the same. Meaning the story could be told without turning him gay for tv and in doing so, any changes that they make with his story was specifically changed, not to make it better but JUST to make him gay. That’s a writing faux pas.
It’s not a writing faux pas it’s different mediums and a different person overseeing this story . I didn’t read the book but based on the themes of story. Being told in the tv show the dad being gay fits thematically and I don’t see how it really effects the show’s story outside of a bunch of dudes on here who hate anything lgbtq

Dontay Flaco

fka King Napz
Daps
Reppin
VA
Dope episode! Of course Thecoli will hate it tho.
200_d.gif

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I'm sorry - as a Black woman - I am tired of seeing Black men being portrayed as Gay and DL in these shows. First Watchmen, now LoveCraft. And what's fukked up - they are usually a father, or head of a household.

I didn't need to see all that last night. Another anal scene with Black men - go HBO.. not.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It’s not a writing faux pas it’s different mediums and a different person overseeing this story . I didn’t read the book but based on the themes of story. Being told in the tv show the dad being gay fits thematically and I don’t see how it really effects the show’s story outside of a bunch of dudes on here who hate anything lgbtq
Cant speak for everyone else but the general consensus is people hate pandering. People hate forced storylines. People hate out of place fukkery done just to placate a segment of people. The fathers love interest and sexuality will 100% have NOTHING to do with the end game of the show. So its annoying when a black male character gets changed for a reason only to serve as an appeasement to the gay community. If that was the case, and they have no problem changing the source material that much, then they couldve just written a gay character into the story instead of taking a straight black man and making him gay. As far as the book, there was very little sexuality of any kind, straight or gay. The father was not "thematically" gay. The faux pas I spoke of was changing the story to fit a side character. Its not a different story, even with the changes.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I'm sorry - as a Black woman - I am tired of seeing Black men being portrayed as Gay and DL in these shows. First Watchmen, now LoveCraft. And what's fukked up - they are usually a father, or head of a household.

I didn't need to see all that last night. Another anal seen with Black men - go HBO.. not.
I appreciate your sentiment. People acting like they dont know understand why people are tired of this trope now.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Cant speak for everyone else but the general consensus is people hate pandering. People hate forced storylines. People hate out of place fukkery done just to placate a segment of people. The fathers love interest and sexuality will 100% have NOTHING to do with the end game of the show. So its annoying when a black male character gets changed for a reason only to serve as an appeasement to the gay community. If you that was the case, and they have no problem changing the source material that much, then they couldve just written a gay character into the story instead of taking a straight black man and making him gay. As far as the book, there was very little sexuality of any kind, straight or gay. The father was not "thematically" gay. The faux pas I spoke of was changing the story to fit a side character. Its not a different story, even with the changes.

I agree. I read the book. To have the father - and especially one as strong as Montrose be gay - and dating Trans or whatever they are called men -- is fukked up. And to have every big show on HBO have a Black man and father -- during that time (period pieces) be made out like they are gay or had gay tendencies is wrong.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I agree. I read the book. To have the father - and especially one as strong as Monroe be gay - and dating Trans or whatever they are called men -- is fukked up. And to have every big show on HBO have a Black man and father -- during that time (period pieces) be made out like they are gay or had gay tendencies is wrong.
Exactly. With Hooded Justice, the dislike was superficial because from a story standpoint, HJ was suspected to be a gay black man from the source material all along. We just didnt like the visuals of one of the only strong men on television throwing his family in the bushes to fukk a white man. But this here with Montrose, is extremely contrived.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

I didn't need to see all that last night. Another anal scene with Black men - go HBO.. not.

The strongest male character is Tic and the second strongest male character was George. I get what you sayin but Omar hasn't been a strong character at all in this show and he ain't a head of household