Official Justice League "Snyder Cut" Thread

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I hear that but I can’t say enough people wanted to see it if there was diminishing returns. Man of steel didn’t do what they wanted it to financially. Neither did BvS hence that huge drop off in its second week of release.

That’s why the studio got cold feet. Movies for more expensive and weren’t going to suddenly get cheaper. Meanwhile the return isn’t adding up. One thing Feige did really well in the early days and still to this day is keep costs down. It gives more leeway for things
If WB was disappointed by Man of Steel's numbers then they must have been smoking crack in their boardrooms.

The only metric they had to go on when it came to a Superman movie was what Superman Returns did and MOS ended up doubling the box office of Superman Returns while having a budget that was like $50 million less.

So a film about a character that hadn't been well received on the big screen in decades being expected to do Nolan Batman numbers was basically WB setting themselves up to fail.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
And I disagree. Even if it’s not on a JL level I atleast want to see other heroes apart of these movies. Every other variation of dc content has this. Why can’t the movies take their time to get it right?
That is your personal preference but it isn't something that objectively makes a film good or bad if it is or isn't included.
Batman Begins was flames and it didn't include not one reference to anything outside of Batman's mythology.
Blade and Blade 2 were great movies and not having an appearance by Dr. Strange didn't lessen the entertainment value of those movies.
The good X-Men movies were self-contained to X-Men characters only and they worked.
Iron Man would've still be an awesome movie even if it didn't include that post-credits scene with Nick Fury talking about the Avengers Initiative.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
If WB was disappointed by Man of Steel's numbers then they must have been smoking crack in their boardrooms.

The only metric they had to go on when it came to a Superman movie was what Superman Returns did and MOS ended up doubling the box office of Superman Returns while having a budget that was like $50 million less.

So a film about a character that hadn't been well received on the big screen in decades being expected to do Nolan Batman numbers was basically WB setting themselves up to fail.
And that’s the issue. Spending too much and expecting a return to match that expenditure. Cause I agree with you. But there’s a reason they put a Batman injection into the sequel. Wanted more money. And there’s a reason it took them so long to get the engine going on another Superman movie.
Like I said, I don’t fukk with every marvel movie but I salute them for their business model. Jason Blum uses the same model just on the horror level.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
but not everyone knows it was chopped and screwed. That’s my point. The general audience doesn’t know that shyt nor do they care. Even tho I think the directors cut shyts on the original and makes it a better film it’s still the same vision that people weren’t feeling. Tinkering around the edges and adding more scenes doesn’t change that.

there are plenty of movies cut the fukk up in the editing bay. Look at jaws for instance. But if the audience is feeling the tone of what they get then none of that matters to them at the end of the day because they won’t be able to tell and won’t care.

To assume giving them the three hour version would’ve changed fortunes is a hell of an assumption

And this is my problem with people using this new version of Justice League, and the Ultimate cut of BvS. Just throwing extra runtime at shyt is not a cure-all, and ultimately shouldn't be.

If you absolutely need three to four hours to tell your story every single time, that means you probably need to work on telling your story more effectively. I watched the Ultimate cut of BvS, and while it's much better and I enjoyed it, I still wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a good movie. The problem, even with the extra runtime, is the same as the theatrical cut. The movie tries to cover far too much ground, and the tone is such that it struggles to make either Superman or Batman the character the polar opposites they're supposed to be, and make the viewer choose or identify with one over the other. No amount of extra scenes was going to fix that, since it's a fundamental issue for most people.

Yeah, DC (really, Warner Bros) weren't thinking about any of that. They saw that The Dark Knight Rises had just done over a billion, and Marvel had just shown that they could cash out using characters that weren't hot at the time (people conveniently forget that Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor were looked down upon at the time, and people thought Marvel were crazy for trying this without Spider-Man, the X-Men, or at least the Fantastic Four). DC just assumed, and still assume really, that their top characters were more ubiquitous, and they could just walk into the same system.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
but not everyone knows it was chopped and screwed. That’s my point. The general audience doesn’t know that shyt nor do they care

i still disagree to an extent because it takes a massive movement to get a company like AT&T to throw another $70M on a project that was a loss.. and then promote it even more..

it's not just a few diehards. it's millions of people who wanted to see Snyder complete his vision. So i believe they saw the fucc shyt WB did to BvS as well..

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL

The whole MOS shyt came from the CEO at the time who promised his shareholders that MOS would make a billi after Avengers came out and did big business. That didn't happen and everyone got fired or left months after MOS' release, Alan Horn was one of those people

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

They were happy though.. that's why they gave the reigns to Snyder in the first place. They loved Man of Steel. They and Nolan as producer threw the bag at Snyder but from that point on.. the rest of the WB team meddled and meddled instead of leaving Snyder alone.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i still disagree to an extent because it takes a massive movement to get a company like AT&T to throw another $70M on a project that was a loss.. and then promote it even more..

it's not just a few diehards. it's millions of people who wanted to see Snyder complete his vision. So i believe they saw the fucc shyt WB did to BvS as well..
It’s a massive movement online from a vocal minority. Everyone who buys a ticket to that movie isn’t online talking about it and asking for a Snyder cut. Just like everyone who sees any movie doesn’t immediately take to the internet to bytch and moan about it. Some people just see a thing and that’s that. They move on.

They realized they could capitalize on social media hype along with entice that same audience to get subs for their new service. You don’t need strong fan demand for that. You need loud fan demand and loyal fan demand because loyal fans will sign up for anything you ask them to to see the thing they want to see.

we’ve seen video companies do similar moves bending to loud fans only to see those fans represent a minority of the buying public. All the bytching and moaning about mass effect 3 didn’t come from every single person who bought the game. But geek properties like mass effect and comic book movies, are especially tuned in to social media because that’s where a lot of us talk our shyt at. Tossing 70 mil at him to do that when you’re already gobbling up subs with your other content makes it an easy move in my eyes. Shrug

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They were happy though.. that's why they gave the reigns to Snyder in the first place. They loved Man of Steel. They and Nolan as producer threw the bag at Snyder but from that point on.. the rest of the WB team meddled and meddled instead of leaving Snyder alone.
this whole "meddling" shyt can be overblown too. There's good meddling and bad. This was a clear case of bad. Cats act like producers don't meddle with films all the time. To think that Feige hasn't done it is kinda delusional. On his end though, he has the benefit of the doubt.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
this whole "meddling" shyt can be overblown too. There's good meddling and bad. This was a clear case of bad. Cats act like producers don't meddle with films all the time. To think that Feige hasn't done it is kinda delusional. On his end though, he has the benefit of the doubt.
All producers meddle. They’re the ones writing the checks. Bond producers meddle. Spielberg meddled. Bruckenheimer meddles.
Don Simpson meddled. A lot.

Unless the director has it in their contract that they have final cut, their movie isn’t going to just be their vision

Last edited: