Official Judas And The Black Messiah Thread

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I thought it was an interesting spin to make this story a genre thriller instead of your basic biopic. I know many people would prefer a Hampton biopic, but this movie reminded me - in a good way - of The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford. Terrific performances by Kaluuya, Stanfield, and Plemons. Can't wait to see what Shaka King does next.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Fair. I feel like films like this however do spark something in young adults and teenagers who don't know these stories as well as others to go and dig and find out more.
absolutely, it definitely does the job of shining the light on hampton, the panthers and seeding the info about the whole cointelpro operation. between this and snowfall, i hope younger folk are looking into how the fed govt had institutional approval to move against us (not just some wily one-off agents moving on their own)

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
As I told @Drew Wonder what some critics were saying.

I think this movie would have benefitted from a longer run time. The Departed, Heat, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford were all long movies.

Another 30 mins to an hour spent fleshing out Fred/O'Neal would have put to rest some of the issues for others.

Still great tho :yeshrug:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
As I told @Drew Wonder what some critics were saying.

I think this movie would have benefitted from a longer run time. The Departed, Heat, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford were all long movies.

Another 30 mins to an hour spent fleshing out Fred/O'Neal would have quelled some of these people's issues.

Still great tho :yeshrug:
This I agree with.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This I agree with.
At the same time I know why they didnt do it. No idea the pandemic was coming/getting switched to HBOMax. It was hard a studio to agee to give this movie a decent budget. So obviously WB wasnt going to let them make a 2hr 30 to 3 hr epic when trying to fill seats.

Its what makes Malcolm X so unique and why Spike needed others to contribute to the budget.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
yep the movie was so good it went by fast. i wouldn't mind a 3 hour movie

the Malcolm x movie was about 3 hours long

X Was a full biopic this was more so just a segment of Fred’s life ala Jesus in his last days hence the title. A longer movie would have needed to be a true biopic

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The only strong emotion I felt was at the end when his woman heard the gun shots and knew he was murdered.

But I felt like the movie did not deep dive into the Panthers. Why did the community turn out to rebuild the headquarters? We saw brief glimpses of that, but nothing that showed community.

We also didn’t get much on why Fred felt that way, other than the small mention of his mom babysitting Emmitt Till.

There also wasn’t much tension with O’Neal’s character. There were glimpses, but not too much.

I didn’t care at all for the FBI internal dynamics and I felt they were on some “degrees of evil” shyt, with Hoover being portrayed as Lucifer. In a weird way, they tried to make a parallel between Hampton and Hoover, which was low key offensive.

I thought the acting was great and the people who created that late 60s look and vibe knocked it out, but it missed on a few things. Kaluya, Stanfield, Plemons and Dominique Fishback were outstanding. The brother who played Bobby Rush was good too and I never get why he don’t get more roles. He is a really good actor in everything I’ve seen him.