Official Hateful Eight Thread

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm watching it again right now. Did anyone ever feel remorse for Jennifer Jason Leigh's character, when she was getting her a$$ whooped in the beginning?

"KICK IT OPEN...2 PIECES OF WOOD"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm watching it again right now. Did anyone ever feel remorse for Jennifer Jason Leigh's character, when she was getting her a$$ whooped in the beginning?

"KICK IT OPEN...2 PIECES OF WOOD"

Saw it again last night and I think that's something he was going for but then immediately took it back once she started spewing the racism lol. And like oswaldo said: until they invent a trigger a woman can't pull...

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it again last night and I think that's something he was going for but then immediately took it back once she started spewing the racism lol. And like oswaldo said: until they invent a trigger a woman can't pull...
Did I miss how oswaldo got the letter from little rock

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Just came back from it and I liked it a lot, easily better than Django Unchained but not sure yet where I would rank it among his other work. It took a while to get truly interesting since the first two or three chapters are all introduction/setup and although a lot of it is necessary, it also got to a point where certain parts dragged unnecessarily for seemingly no other reason than Tarantino's refusal to trim them down. I also noticed that a lot of Ennio Morricone's excellent score was shamefully reduced to transitioning scenes, seemingly because Tarantino didn't want to distract from his dialog in any way. And while Morricone can certainly be blunt to your face, I find it hard to believe he couldn't come up with some calm background melodies for those scenes.

Anyway, once the story moves into Minnie's Haberdashery things luckily start to move forward a lot faster and there's nothing I can fault the movie on, except maybe for Tarantino still being on his extreme gore wave. That shyt might've made sense in his B-movie tributes Kill Bill and Death Proof but like Django Unchained before this, here it was cartoonish and distracting. But fukk it, a lot of it was exaggerated (like the abuse of Daisy) The mystery is great and executed really well, Tarantino proves he's still the master of the stand-off, building suspense in a single scene like no other. And although Madsen was painfully flat and Tatum was just kinda there, the cast did a great job with special shout-outs to Sam Jackson, Walton Goggins and Jennifer Jason Leigh who all excelled here.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Then someone is lying..... Because in a recent Actors panel interview (the one with Will, Benecio, and etc).

Sam says that QT calls him and tell him he got a part in a movie for him and Sam just says "ok"

:patrice:

Yea man for sure. I remember hearing QT say he writes all his roles with certain actors in mind. He certainly doesn't let Sam pick his role lol

Brandwin

Pro
Daps
I thought it was okay, it kept me entertained enough, but that slow burn didn't seem to have a big enough payoff. I also didn't feel as if the any of the characters are memorable. I rank this towards the bottom of his movies.

Last edited:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The n word usage got the point where I felt a bit uncomfortable. Sitting around in a theater hearing a bunch of white people laugh everytime it was said is a little much.
Seemed like they were just saying it to say it, it didn't really add anything to the movie.
We get it, this is civil war era and they don't like blacks.
I'd rather have went to a late showing that was empty, but I had to sit in the front row cause I got there late and it was so packed.

Aside from that I liked the movie.
I felt the exact same way. I caught the early show this morning and it was only about 15-20 people in there I was the only black man in the theater. 10 minutes in and they just start slanging that shyt around like it was a contest to see who could say it the most in the least amount of time. White people snickering and laughing in the theater whenever it was said really had me feeling some type of way and I couldn't even enjoy it after that b/c it just kept getting worse. Like you said I understand that its a civil war era movie but that shyt was not needed to be used that much in order to make this movie what it was. I'll probably never watch this movie again. Beautiful cinematography but other than that I didnt care for this much at all.