Official Hateful Eight Thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
seems the consensus is if u love tarantino dialogue you'll love this....if u love movies whose director doesnt realize his fans love his dialogue and makes sure they get as much of it as possible even when its not needed then you'll just think its a solid flick :ehh:

It's better than that breh. It's more than just the dialogue.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I saw this yesterday, sold out theater, 70mm, the whole deal.....I'll say I liked it more then 'Django', but that it left me feeling mostly the same as 'Django, mostly unimpressed, and left wondering when Tarantino's great characters that were more then just funny names and English accents, all quirk and no substance.....the writing is often not as sharp as it needed to be, waiting for some of the actors to deliver brilliant and cutting dialoge, and instead left with a few one liners and Walton Goggins, who makes almost anything sound funny. I don't care much for the new Tarantino, he's lost his ability to craft criminals, gangsters, killers who speak in profanity laced tirades, who contain traces of humanity, a humanity that an audience can believe. Travolta and Jackson in 'Pulp Fiction'....remember when Travolta stood in the bathroom mirror and talked himself out of sleeping with Uma Thurman, despite their obvious mutual attraction and the fact he is a shy, heroin using hitman, who doesn't connect with many women? I loved that moment because it's so relatable....it feels real, it's funny and it's honest....I don't see that in his films anymore. I see a lot of indulgent, self serving, superficialness, masquerading as something more.

This movie is almost all window dressing. It is beautiful though, the snow covered landscapes and howling blizzard make for a perfect setting....Some of the running gags I liked, (the door) though wasn't used enough, some I liked less....'Mexican Bob' felt like VERY cheap laughs.... I loved Kurt Russell's performance, but what was the point of the John Wayne impression, that he already did in 'Death Proof'? Nothing really, just another spectacle in a movie full of them, without much of a reason to care. The set up is pretty incredible, I love the idea of a murder mystery, in the vein of Agatha Christie, but there was no real mystery to unravel, no real tension generated by that storyline, I loved the score, the actors, but the movie as a whole is hollow, with a lot of messy references to racisim, police brutality that make it's hollowness even more uneasy to me. Walton Goggins and Jackson were the standouts...I think his lines weren't enough for his acting, but that aside, he was consistently hilarious, 'Who in the HEEEEL is Jody Domengure'?

The suspense is pretty minimal, the violence, aside from occasionally eliciting a small laugh, wasn't funny or compelling....The ending was a spectacle of morbid violence, that I wanted to appreciate more then I did....It just seems so lacking in anything real, cartoonish violence, cartoonish characters, cartoonish story......I was pretty uncomfortable also with many, if not all of the '******' lines, but much more so with the fact that ALL the black characters, besides Jackson, (who was castrated) were massacred. In a sequence that felt very forced, and very repitive, that was the Kill Bill' wedding scene all over again, except showing the inside. Why? Why did Zoe Bell and the other extra characters need to be slaughtered, in a pointless flashback, that extends the sagging running time?

I'll give myself an intermission, and finish this later.

No man.... you've done well.... you've done enough friend...... you dont need to fight anymore buddy

giphy.gif

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
it's time QT delivers us a Horror film..maybe do a hateful 8 and fuse it with another genre/setting..something chilling..or is he allowed?

There were parts during the film that sort of reminded me of a horror.

Thinking on it the movie was even a bit similar to the The Thing and even had Kurt Russel as the main lead/paranoid character at the start.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Earlier he's Mexican Bob, later we find out he's just regular ole Bob :manny:

Just like how Tim Roth's British accent changes in the flashback.
His real name was Marco The Mexican. Roth explains that when they were trying to make the deal

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
There were parts during the film that sort of reminded me of a horror.

Thinking on it the movie was even a bit similar to the The Thing and even had Kurt Russel as the main lead/paranoid character at the start.
well done..you saw the link/reference.
kurt with the beard..snow and paranoia.

btw did you peep the Carrie reference..
Daisy's bloodied face..
carrie5.jpg

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
well done..you saw the link/reference.
kurt with the beard..snow and paranoia.

btw did you peep the Carrie reference..
Daisy's bloodied face..
carrie5.jpg

Plus the score breh. There were moments from his score he lifted straight from his score for the thing

:russ: at you telling him "very good" on some sensei shyt

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
As great as Sam was in the role. I kept thinking if Jeffrey Wright or even Bokeem Woodbine were in that role :banderas: