Official Hateful Eight Thread

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
It gave me a heavy Reservoir Dogs vibe. Just curious where you rank that one in his filmography? Also, are you counting Kill Bill 1 and 2 as one flick?

I do count Kill Bill as one movie, since that was how he originally wanted it to be released (and, incidentally, how I saw it last night at the New Beverly).

Reservoir Dogs would be #5 in my rankings, which is the lower level of amazing for me (and while I can understand where people are seeing RD here, I thought the Agatha Christie/Eugene O'Neill comparisons were more apt). Hateful Eight would be #2, as of right now (because I need to let this sit for a minute then rewatch Pulp Fiction). The use of history (and specifically how it colors the type of violence depicted in the film), the expansive cinematography (absolutely gorgeous and ridiculously detailed. Totally worth using Ultra Panavision for), and the sound design (which is much an effect of using 70mm stock as the cinematography was) puts it over the top for me.

Even if I look back on this and find that I overrated it, I really do think that this film will be seen as one of his best decades down the line. We'll just have to get away from the predominant conversation about Tarantino to do so.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
In the theater now

dvncjc.jpg

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
Damn, so he od'd on the nword in this too:what:

I really have no desire to see this film. Someone needs tedit these movies down for him. Since its obvious he thinks every second is proof of his genius.

The n word usage got the point where I felt a bit uncomfortable. Sitting around in a theater hearing a bunch of white people laugh everytime it was said is a little much.
Seemed like they were just saying it to say it, it didn't really add anything to the movie.
We get it, this is civil war era and they don't like blacks.
I'd rather have went to a late showing that was empty, but I had to sit in the front row cause I got there late and it was so packed.

Aside from that I liked the movie.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Not as good as Basterds among his recent work....But in the top half of his filmography for me. I don't even know how to begin to arrange it though lo

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i really enjoyed this.. the 2nd half was really dope to me.

i loved how the roadshow version didn't have the 22 minutes of previews and just started right away.

the overture was dope and the ennio morricone score was :noah:

he went a bit over the top a few times but i still enjoyed the movie overall.

not sure where i'd rank it as of yet or rate it.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
i really enjoyed this.. the 2nd half was really dope to me.

i loved how the roadshow version didn't have the 22 minutes of previews and just started right away.

the overture was dope and the ennio morricone score was :noah:

he went a bit over the top a few times but i still enjoyed the movie overall.

not sure where i'd rank it as of yet or rate it.

3 hrs though:francis:

I'm catching an 11pm showing at a theater about 40 mins from my house (but still in my city.... Charlotte deceptively big as fukk)

I'm not gonna get home till like 3am:damn:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I got 4 of the programs. Kinda got tight that I couldn't get all 8 lol. Each has a different poster.

Given the time, setting and the type of characters in it, I wasn't surprised by the n word usage. I could see why people were like yooo what the hell because it was kinda used for comedic effect but at the end of the day,
Sam had a hold of the situation the entire time, the old Confederate General gets killed by him after being utterly embarrassed with Sam's story about his son and Doggins, the clear racist that Kurt Russell says would never team up with Sam, ends up teaming up with him, and he gets to watch the lady get hung, obviously symbolic of the time. Even though everybody dies, it wraps up in a feel good way :yeshrug:.They all died while all harboring some kind of hate or just being hateable type of people.

I don't know what type of movie people were expecting of this movie knowing most of it was in one place. That intermission felt necessary though.

Beautifully shot no doubt. All of the acting was dope. The score was dope. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't like comparing movies quickly but I don't see it as one of his worst films that's for sure.

I went and got another after the movie because i read this post. Got Goggins and daisy. Everyone in my row had daisy. I wanted samuel L

Bobhoward

Baseball Ready
Daps
Well....

8. Death Proof
7. Reservoir Dogs
6. Kill Bill
5. Jackie Brown
4. Django Unchained
3. The Hateful Eight
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Inglorious Basterds

But... I still need to see how this holds up with repeat viewings.

And I'm sorta curious to see what they cut for the non-roadshow version.. I'm guessing mostly exterior shots but I don't think I'd want to see the movie without them.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The n word usage got the point where I felt a bit uncomfortable. Sitting around in a theater hearing a bunch of white people laugh everytime it was said is a little much.
Seemed like they were just saying it to say it, it didn't really add anything to the movie.
We get it, this is civil war era and they don't like blacks.
I'd rather have went to a late showing that was empty, but I had to sit in the front row cause I got there late and it was so packed.

Aside from that I liked the movie.

I was about 5 minutes in and it was getting slung around over and over,i had to hit the x:camby:

He's trolling for attention with it at this point.