hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Word. 20 years is a LONG TIME. People figured out 75% of the story.

Yeah, exactly. And it wouldn't even take 20 years. People figured out Walt poisoned Brock in "Breaking Bad" before it was revealed. People figured out a major "Mr. Robot" season 2 plot point before it was revealed....people figured out the "Westworld" twist before it was revealed. The only way to avoid that is to stay away from any show discussions on the 'net.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, the budget. The closer it gets to ending the more large scale battles, the more scenes with dragons, etc. and I doubt HBO wanted to pay for 20 more episodes across 2-3 more seasons. Not to mention the most important actors make like $2 mill an ep now.

Fred.

It wasn't budget related, why the last two seasons are shorter.. Dan and Dave made the decision to cut episodes. HBO wanted more episodes. They would've welcomed more episodes. Dave and Dan felt 13 episodes was enough for the rest of the series. They didn't want to stretch it farther.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dahell:

Well then this is confusing as fukk to me because there's no reason to shorten the seasons. They could've gotten new show runners for 2-3 more seasons. Granted, it's possible the show might've fallen off for other reasons in season 8, 9, or 10 but as of right now ending it in 13 episodes doesn't seem like a good idea.

Fred.

HBO and most premium cable networks aren't into changing showrunners unless they have to. They believe in the vision of the creator and prefer having them see it through. Rare occasions on premium networks do creators/showrunners get replaced (They get replaced more on regular cable networks and network TV) That's part of the reason the Walking Dead is a mess. They've had like 4 different showrunners.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Episode 7 title is "The Dragon and the Wolf"

I would have been much more excited about this episode title back before Jon bent the knee

#NotMyKing

Hope we get more Lyanna and if the moon lines up with the sun I hope we get more Howland GOAT Reed

EDIT: Actual title is "The Long Night"
WTF....so the actual title is The Long Night, not "The Dragon and The Wolf"

Not sure what is up with these episode titles getting mixed up. This is the 3rd episode this season that is jacked up.

My DISH Network is still listed E06 as "Death Is The Enemy" even though the real title is "Beyond The Wall"

EDIT: Its unclear what the real title is. Conflicting sources. Nonetheless, I cant believe E06 is titled wrong on my DVR. Just odd

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol, basically the "who cares, dragons!!!" crowd is who they're catering to...nice for them to admit that and hopefully that crowd sees that complaints from the other side are valid :ld:
Which is all nikkas really been saying.

In turn the DRAGONS:gladbron: nikkas are getting at the people making valid criticisms about what the show has become

I'm about ready to just throw the discussion in the bushes. Nikkas want their 3rd act fukkery:manny: fukk it

Nikka still gonna clown when I see implausible shyt tho:pachaha:

Last edited:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Man these hackers popped a lot of shyt. Where's the leaks, you guys think HBO giving you 6 million come on, drop that shyt.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word. 20 years is a LONG TIME. People figured out 75% of the story.

Yeah, exactly. And it wouldn't even take 20 years. People figured out Walt poisoned Brock in "Breaking Bad" before it was revealed. People figured out a major "Mr. Robot" season 2 plot point before it was revealed....people figured out the "Westworld" twist before it was revealed. The only way to avoid that is to stay away from any show discussions on the 'net.

Fred.
The internet is def ruining things in this regard

On one hand its good that people are using their brains, on the other everybody ends up spoiling and exhausting themselves.

R + L=J is a great example. Nikkas been talking about/deducing an ice dragon for years so when it happens you're excited, but ultimately are like :yeshrug:

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
I never disliked Sansa, even at her most annoying cuz I saw early what her character arc was likely to be and it was something I was willing to watch for the long haul.

An impossibly naive girl learning from the most clever and cunning characters in the series, and becoming a cunning character herself seemed like some potential God tier character growth.

I wanted to see a Stark become the offspring of Cersei/Littlefinger so I was all on board by the end of season 4. And I didn't care if she ended up evil or redeemed, as long as she ended up learning and applying what she learned in some way that benefits her. I thought Sansa would be the viewers window into how a character can become a master manipulator.

Seeing the difference long term from season 1 to the end of her story would be a satisfying deconstruction of both fairytale and damsels in distress tropes.

But to that point, it's all been muddled since then.

There is still time to bring it there, but with the way they've handled character arcs since season 4 I'm not really optimistic about them sticking the landing. At least on the show.

Thank you for this post. While I do have more faith in Sanaa's character development, I appreciate that you at least give an objective view rather than completely trashing her for failures that other characters have committed and been forgiven for.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
WTF....so the actual title is The Long Night, not "The Lion and The Wolf"

Not sure what is up with these episode titles getting mixed up. This is the 3rd episode this season that is jacked up.

My DISH Network is still listed E06 as "Death Is The Enemy" even though the real title is "Beyond The Wall"

EDIT: Its unclear what the real title is. Conflicting sources. Nonetheless, I cant believe E06 is titled wrong on my DVR. Just odd
Maybe they are planting false titles to catch who is leaking their shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Maybe they are planting false titles to catch who is leaking their shyt.
No, the titles are coming from TV listings. In this case, The Lion and the Wolf came from a Sky Atlantic TV listing. The Long Night came from am HBO.com listing which is no longer up and possibly was just a photoshop

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
As far as all the other shyt....I don't really give a fukk about realism in fiction obviously...."Breaking Bad" is my favorite show....but I do care about internal logic. And there wasn't much this episode.

90% of the complaints about how long Jon and crew were stranded, how long the raven took, how long Dany took, etc. could've been cleared up with one of them commenting on only having 2-3 days worth of rations before they headed out....then towards the end, on the frozen lake, show they're out of rations. Boom, we know 2-3 days passed without explicitly saying it. Freeze to death? Use the fire swords for warmth.

I'm not gonna sit here and write 15 paragraphs about how the show fell off but there was a few....bizarre choices in the writing this episode that could've been cleared up with literally a line of dialogue, or a 10 second throwaway scene. Other stuff like Benjen I could let slide, and the other point of contention (Arya vs Sansa) I'm gonna reserve criticism until I see how it plays out.

And for the record there was some questionable writing in season 5 too. I don't know how nuanced it was in the books but the whole "Cersei is taken captive in her own city" was probably the WOAT story arc for this show.

Fred.
This is my favorite show on TV but @hex is correct

Unless they're using the fast travel from Elder Scrolls, this was poor story telling

• Dap
Reactions: hex

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
As far as all the other shyt....I don't really give a fukk about realism in fiction obviously...."Breaking Bad" is my favorite show....but I do care about internal logic. And there wasn't much this episode.

90% of the complaints about how long Jon and crew were stranded, how long the raven took, how long Dany took, etc. could've been cleared up with one of them commenting on only having 2-3 days worth of rations before they headed out....then towards the end, on the frozen lake, show they're out of rations. Boom, we know 2-3 days passed without explicitly saying it. Freeze to death? Use the fire swords for warmth.

I'm not gonna sit here and write 15 paragraphs about how the show fell off but there was a few....bizarre choices in the writing this episode that could've been cleared up with literally a line of dialogue, or a 10 second throwaway scene. Other stuff like Benjen I could let slide, and the other point of contention (Arya vs Sansa) I'm gonna reserve criticism until I see how it plays out.

And for the record there was some questionable writing in season 5 too. I don't know how nuanced it was in the books but the whole "Cersei is taken captive in her own city" was probably the WOAT story arc for this show.

Fred.
I agree

The concept of time has made this season a bit silly. I still like the show a lot, but it isnt like ti was a few seasons ago. Im okay with that too.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
:dahell:

Well then this is confusing as fukk to me because there's no reason to shorten the seasons. They could've gotten new show runners for 2-3 more seasons. Granted, it's possible the show might've fallen off for other reasons in season 8, 9, or 10 but as of right now ending it in 13 episodes doesn't seem like a good idea.

Fred.

To me it just further shows that the HCIC right now are creatively bankrupt and are counting on spectacle and fan favorite characters (+Sam) to get the ratings and get them to the finish line as quickly as possible.