Official Game of Thrones Season 6 Thread

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
That's what im talking about tho. How did he become loyal to the lannisters in the first place? I knew he was one of their knights, but from the picture they paint of him since childhood, seems like it would take more than knighthood to buy that type of loyalty from him. he's been doing their dirt for decades.

He's not loyal. Think of him as a sellsword. The Mountain, as crazy violent as he is, understands that the Lannisters, specifically Tywin offer him a lot of clout and autonomy. By serving the Lannisters he gets to do what he likes. Any other houses would probably :whoa: and :scusthov: at his activities and send a bunch of dudes to kill him off.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Why is the mountain so loyal to the lannisters when he's supposedly always been an unwieldy a$$hole brute? I know they knighted him, but is there some other background as to why he literally serves them?
The Cleganes weren't shyt before Gregor was Knighted. They were a no name house with nothing to their name. The Lannisters gave them titles, land, and a castle. Basically they put respect on their name and brought them into good social standing in the Westerlands. Gregor got to indulge in atrocities with more or less impunity because of it.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Why is the mountain so loyal to the lannisters when he's supposedly always been an unwieldy a$$hole brute? I know they knighted him, but is there some other background as to why he literally serves them?

The Mountain is the one who raped and murdered Dany's mother and slaughtered what was supposed do be her and her brother. It was considered such a heinous act that many were offended and horrified by it when Tywin Lannister brought the dead babies to court. I would imagine this act would bind the Mountain to the Lannister employ as no other House would want to be associated.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
The Mountain is the one who raped and murdered Dany's mother and slaughtered what was supposed do be her and her brother. It was considered such a heinous act that many were offended and horrified by it when Tywin Lannister brought the dead babies to court. I would imagine this act would bind the Mountain to the Lannister employ as no other House would want to be associated.
Small correction but Gregor raped and murdered Elia Martell, Oberyns sister, and Danys sister in law.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

:mjcry: shyt must have been a hell of a crime scene. Raped mama battered to bits, daughter repeatedly stabbed to death, baby on the floor with his dome wide open and his brains on the wall. Everybody was :wtf: even Tywin.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Geography. The Cleganes are from the West where the Lannisters essentially rule so they're sworn to them

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjcry: shyt must have been a hell of a crime scene. Raped mama battered to bits, daughter repeatedly stabbed to death, baby on the floor with his dome wide open and his brains on the wall. Everybody was :wtf: even Tywin.

This is the show's original sin and really highlights the central hypocrisy of the Fantasy genre. Dudes want to go to war and become kings and stage rebellions but balk at what all of that really entails. There is nothing gallant or noble about war. It's brutal and ugly and no amount of lip service to codes of honor make you any less complicit in it.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
This is the show's original sin and really highlights the central hypocrisy of the Fantasy genre. Dudes want to go to war and become kings and stage rebellions but balk at what all of that really entails. There is nothing gallant or noble about war. It's brutal and ugly and no amount of lip service to codes of honor make you any less complicit in it.

That's why I don't rep sets. :mjcry: common folk getting shytted on over these beefs.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I think its bronn giving him a "havent seen you in ages. How you been?" type of choke hold. Remember they used to roll together when pod was tyrions squire. I could be wrong though

All I know is Pod BETTER not die. That boy is the most loyal squire in Westeros history

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think he really likes murdering and pillaging and Tywin has always given him a nice outlet for all of that. And protection whenever anything blows back on him. I'm not sure it's loyalty so much as it is mutual interest.

Now, he's just brain dead and I assume programmed in some way to serve Cersei/Qyburn.

From what I understand from the HBO History and Lores, the backstory is The Mountain and the Hound's dad was the Kennel master for the Tywin's dad, Titus. He saved Titu's life from a Lion by chasing it away with hounds. Titus gave him land and title and promised to Knight his son.. In exchange, his boys were to be trained to become goons for the Lanisters.

The Mountain was rumored to have killed servants and even a sister.

Jards

All Star
Daps
You know what. I think Arya might've have put her face on the GIRL who hired the FACELESS MEN to kill her rival in the play. Somehow Arya might've learned that technique. And the WAIF might've killed the girl from the play wearing Arya's face. That actually makes sense and would be an interesting twist.

Now, we haven't seen or don't know if Faceless Men can put their own face on someone else, but if they can, then Arya might've pulled that off.
Just had a convo with one of my fam who said the same thing.

johnnydakota

Star, "Skateboard High"
Supporter
Daps
Good points re: littlefinger. My only issue with it all is him delivering Sansa to the Boltons. It's hard to believe he didn't know about Ramsey.

Apparently he didn't know about Ramsey.

The writer producer also confirmed that, for those suspecting Littlefinger might have known about Ramsay’s sadism, that Baelish was definitely ignorant of the situation. “The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. So Littlefinger doesn’t have the intelligence on him. He knows they’re scary and creepy and not to be folly trusted and it’s part of a larger plan.”

'Game of Thrones' producer explains Sansa's wedding night horror

"Meanwhile, for fans who wondered all season if Littlefinger understood who it was he was marrying Sansa off too, Gillen is pretty unequivocal. Those who think that Littlefinger knew exactly what he was doing are wrong. For the first time, Littlefinger misjudged, and that’s partly because he hadn’t done his homework."

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Apparently he didn't know about Ramsey.

The writer producer also confirmed that, for those suspecting Littlefinger might have known about Ramsay’s sadism, that Baelish was definitely ignorant of the situation. “The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. So Littlefinger doesn’t have the intelligence on him. He knows they’re scary and creepy and not to be folly trusted and it’s part of a larger plan.”

'Game of Thrones' producer explains Sansa's wedding night horror

"Meanwhile, for fans who wondered all season if Littlefinger understood who it was he was marrying Sansa off too, Gillen is pretty unequivocal. Those who think that Littlefinger knew exactly what he was doing are wrong. For the first time, Littlefinger misjudged, and that’s partly because he hadn’t done his homework."

I suspected he didn't know. I honestly don't think Littlefinger would have put Sansa in such a precarious situation that didn't benefit his own. Knowing that Catelyn was his only love and weakness and that he sees Sansa as kind of a Catelyn Surrogate, it wouldn't make sense.