Official Game of Thrones Season 6 Thread

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
He is saying Bran can't change anything we have seen in seasons 1-6. Everything that has happened on the show, can't be changed, because it was already effected by whatever Bran has done.

Exactly. Not sure why this is dragging through this thread. Bran changed the past but hasn't changed the timeline of events (of what we know as viewers that has been established as the present in Seasons 1-6), this just established the backstory of Hodor.

Now, if Bran Bran goes back and tries to stop himself from D'Angelo Russell'ing the Cersei/Jaime bangout sesh to save himself from being a cripple or tries to go back further in time to stop the Hodor conversion out of guilt, then it unravels the timeline of the established present tense and opens up a pandora's box of really shytty paradoxes.

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
"Everything that has been always will be, now figure out the riddle"

People are looking at time as linear, which is a theory that this story doesn't have to abide by. It's like @Adam3000 is saying, it's not about Bran timetravelling and undoing seasons 1-5 (or books 1-5). It's about what happened in the story's history that Bran, or anyone with those abilities, might have played a part in.

They basically explained another big part of the story - how can people hear voices that "know the past/future" (think the red priests or that woman who told Cersei's prophecy) if Jon Snow is telling us there is nothing after death. It means we're not dealing with Gods in this show, we're dealing with people like Bran.
bran is the voice the mad king heard too???

:mindblown:

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
i gotta say brehs... at first i was a little skeptical about this whole time traveling sh*t, but the more i think about it, the more it fits in with EVERYTHING

:jbhmm:

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
GRRM's original plan was for the GoT series to be comprised of three books too...but here we are waiting for the sixth book to come out later this year :sas1:

That article doesn't mean much of anything
Yet, here we are and against all odds those characters have made it through all 5 books and (Arya aside) are all looking to play a big role in the larger narrative :sas2:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He is saying Bran can't change anything we have seen in seasons 1-6.

Ok cool....

because it was already effected by whatever Bran has done.

Uh....:patrice:

See this is where it falls apart. You're saying Bran can't change anything we've already seen, when everything we've already seen is because of him. If it's because of him, he did change it.

Basically you're saying he can't change it again. And I don't see why not. Nobody even knew he could do this until Sunday.

Bran changed the past but hasn't changed the timeline of events.

He did change the time line of events. He would've died in this episode if he didn't. It's just that we've been watching this altered time line for 6 seasons.

Fred.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Ok cool....

See this is where it falls apart. You're saying Bran can't change anything we've already seen, when everything we've already seen is because of him. If it's because of him, he did change it.

Basically you're saying he can't change it again. And I don't see why not. Nobody even knew he could do this until Sunday.

He did change the time line of events. He would've died in this episode if he didn't. It's just that we've been watching this altered time line for 6 seasons.

Fred.

Because that's not how fixed time loop stories work. In these kind of stories, time isn't linear, the viewer just experiences it in a linear fashion of cause and effect. But in a time loop, the cause and effect can be connected from various ends of the time loop. Anything the time traveler does to try and impact the past will only cause what the viewer has already seen leading up to it. This isn't unique to Game of Thrones. That kind of time travel has been explored for decades. It's essentially the plot of 12 Monkeys.

If in the next episode, Bran goes and stops Ned from being beheaded, then the show would have jumped the shark because that doesn't follow it's own rules. "The Ink is dry" for seasons 1-6. Everything that happened already has time fukkery applied to it.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
Ok cool....

Fred.
He didn't change the time line of events, he just affected the state of existence. That doesn't negate "the ink is dry" sentiment, which refers to fate. One can be fated to change an event in the past. Even being told you can travel to the past and affect the state of existence doesn't negate fate being defined.

So it's still possible for there to only be one timeline. It's the timeline where Bran time-travelled to the past and did an action that led to the one and only present. He was always going to do that, he had no choice because it was fate ("the ink is dry").

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yet, here we are and against all odds those characters have made it through all 5 books and (Arya aside) are all looking to play a big role in the larger narrative :sas2:
You could say this about Cersei too...it doesn't mean much. When Dany dies sooner or later you'll remember who the prophet was :sas2:

And i'll expect my +rep:sas1:

There won't be a world where Dany coexists whilst someone else takes the throne...and I don't think she's taking the throne so :manny:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Because that's not how fixed time loop stories work. In these kind of stories, time isn't linear, the viewer just experiences it in a linear fashion of cause and effect. But in a time loop, the cause and effect can be connected from various ends of the time loop. Anything the time traveler does to try and impact the past will only cause what the viewer has already seen leading up to it. This isn't unique to Game of Thrones. That kind of time travel has been explored for decades. It's essentially the plot of 12 Monkeys.

Everything that happened already has time fukkery applied to it.

Dapped +rep.

Doctor Who has been explaining this shyt since the sixties.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Still not sure why we got people in here acting like they know with 100% certainty one way or the other when no one had any idea about any of this shyt 3 days ago.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
All these posts trying to figure out the time stuff. All I can say is when you are confused about the time travel business just remember how The Doctor explains time:
tumblr_inline_ndk36dNOje1rxr4x6.gif

tumblr_inline_ndk3e53iF41rxr4x6.gif

tumblr_inline_ndk3etUQBs1rxr4x6.gif

tumblr_inline_ndk3issBeY1rxr4x6.gif

tumblr_inline_ndk45nqvz91rxr4x6.gif

Daps

If in the next episode, Bran goes and stops Ned from being beheaded, then the show would have jumped the shark because that doesn't follow it's own rules. "The Ink is dry" for seasons 1-6. Everything that happened already has time fukkery applied to it.

I'll ask again, how do you KNOW this is a fixed timeline? How can you preclude a multiverse here?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

There is no "rules" so far, there is one instance of time travel. I don't get how people are assuming entire rule sets off one example. It's possible "GOT" will use this once and never again, it's possible they'll completely fukk up their own logic with it. I'm not assuming either yet, because we don't know yet.

The problem with saying "the ink is dry" is we seen Wylis prior to Bran fukking with his mind. Also we seen Ned hear Bran, even if it was for a second. So there is two instances of Bran interacting with the past, when he shouldn't have. I hope they completely drop this as a plot device, but it doesn't seem likely.

Fred.