Official Game of Thrones Season 6 Thread

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I get that. I have boxsets that are variable by season as to episode count (Southpark, Futurama, etc...) but its always bad when they do that. Thats how you see shows like Lost, Once Upon a Time, etc airing 'recap' episodes and clipshows and specials that aren't really special at all.

I am against filler.

7 episodes isn't even a season to me. Its like a miniseries.
The same thing happened to music awhile back.

Albums used to be 20 songs. Now10 songs is considered an LP.
:scust: Standards are lowering annually across all mediums and its really a shame.
actually albums used to be 11-13 songs, then deluxe/exclusive editions bloated albums to 17-21 songs in the late 90's-00's which is part of the reason albums sales suffered IMO...too much filler. now people are back to 13-16 on average, and that's good.

/sidetrack

Daps
If they do 15 all at once we probably won't see them until late 2018 man. The turnaround on these prestige dramas, especially one as large as "Game Of Thrones", is huge.

Fred.

Or they could air it in Fall 2017 and winter could come when winter actually comes
tumblr_inline_n4042xYktA1rfezux.png

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I get that. I have boxsets that are variable by season as to episode count (Southpark, Futurama, etc...) but its always bad when they do that. Thats how you see shows like Lost, Once Upon a Time, etc airing 'recap' episodes and clipshows and specials that aren't really special at all.

I am against filler.

7 episodes isn't even a season to me. Its like a miniseries.
The same thing happened to music awhile back.

Albums used to be 20 songs. Now10 songs is considered an LP.
:scust: Standards are lowering annually across all mediums and its really a shame.

If you're against filler then why do you want more episodes when the writers have point blank said they only have story for 15 episodes? I don't get it.

GRRM cant finish writing his books...:scust:
The showrunners cant be bothered to make 10 episode seasons anymore...:scust:

Such a clumsy handling of a highly-praised brand.

:what:

You're going off the deep end here. If they only have 15 episodes worth of content what do you want them to do? Write 20 anyway? Shorten it to 10?

The story should always be of utmost importance. If people start trying to hit a certain amount of seasons or episodes, shyt falls apart immediately. The last 5-10 years is the first time in history writers and show runners have actually had the power and freedom to say "I got X amount of story, after that I'm done". The fact that you're trying to make that into a negative is extremely bizarre. It would be clumsy if they said "ok, we got enough story for 15 episodes" then the number changed to 20 because HBO cut a check.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Or they could air it in Fall 2017 and winter could come when winter actually comes
tumblr_inline_n4042xYktA1rfezux.png

That would be dope but there's no way in hell they'd be able to write, location scout, cast (for potential new characters and/or extras), film, edit, score, SFX, etc. 15 episodes by then. They barely get 10 done a year as is.

Fred.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
actually albums used to be 11-13 songs, then deluxe/exclusive editions bloated albums to 17-21 songs in the late 90's-00's which is part of the reason albums sales suffered IMO...too much filler. now people are back to 13-16 on average, and that's good.

/sidetrack

10 songs is not better than 20 songs.

You are misequating poor quality with increased output.
But an artist that produces 2 crap songs amongst 10 total will produce 4 crap songs amongst 20. The quantity is not to blame.
So when an artist must produce in mass simply to search through 100 songs for 10 or so that are acceptable... what you have there is a shytty artist.

That doen't mean you should lower your expectations to 10 songs from now on.
You should still expect 20 and let them make 200 or 300 if they have to in order to find those 20.

If you lower standards to match the current landscape, the art suffers, as does the consumer.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

But an artist that produces 2 crap songs amongst 10 total will produce 4 crap songs amongst 20. The quantity is not to blame.
So when an artist must produce in mass simply to search through 100 songs for 10 or so that are acceptable... what you have there is a shytty artist.

You should still expect 20 and let them make 200 or 300 if they have to in order to find those 20.

If you lower standards to match the current landscape, the art suffers, as does the consumer.
breh...go look at old albums from the 70's - 90's, albums were 8-13 songs. they were much more solid products, the probability of a weaker album increases with more songs, you're not picking the best, you're adding shyt for the fukk of it. anyway, i'm stopping here, this thread aint the place.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
breh...go look at old albums from the 70's - 90's, albums were 8-13 songs. they were much more solid products, the probability of a weaker album increases with more songs, you're not picking the best, you're adding shyt for the fukk of it. anyway, i'm stopping here, this thread aint the place.
vinyls couldn't hold more content than that. longer albums became the norm after CD's became the standard.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
If you're against filler then why do you want more episodes when the writers have point blank said they only have story for 15 episodes? I don't get it.

:what:

You're going off the deep end here. If they only have 15 episodes worth of content what do you want them to do? Write 20 anyway? Shorten it to 10?

The story should always be of utmost importance. If people start trying to hit a certain amount of seasons or episodes, shyt falls apart immediately. The last 5-10 years is the first time in history writers and show runners have actually had the power and freedom to say "I got X amount of story, after that I'm done". The fact that you're trying to make that into a negative is extremely bizarre. It would be clumsy if they said "ok, we got enough story for 15 episodes" then the number changed to 20 because HBO cut a check.

Fred.

That isn't how writing works, as I am sure you know.
You are not naive enough to believe that all 6 seasons thus far fit neatly into 10 episode arcs arbitrarily.

They added and subtracted until the story matched the airing schedule.

"Adapted for television", "Screenplay written by" there is a reason these ppl are credited each episode. :coffee:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

:stopitslime:

So people like you are the reason I have to suffer through 75 minute albums that are half filler
:childplease:

40 minute albums >>>>>>>>*

:lawd:

:wtf: At the thought of stretching the GOT out with even more filler just to fill an imaginary quota that was set by greedy networks who never cared about quality, only money

Bizarro world. Please dont ever become a TV or record exec

FrankyFourFingers

Raised in Ruins
Daps
Reppin
CA
Dont you think the following passage(bolded especially) indicates Bran could perhaps be the Night King, either through some parallel world shyt, or the next Night King?

Book shyt being put in spoilers

There are several other parallels between this Night’s King and Jon, but the biggest one of all is his blood:

“Some say he was a Bolton,” Old Nan would always end. “Some say a Magnar out of Skagos, some say Umber, Flint, or Norrey. Some would have you think he was a Woodfoot, from them who ruled Bear island before the ironmen came. He never was. He was a Stark, the brother of the man who brought him down.” She always pinched Bran on the nose then, he would never forget it. “He was a Stark of Winterfell, and who can say? Mayhaps his name was Brandon. Mayhaps he slept in this very bed in this very room.” -Bran, ASOS
I dont think this is the case cause both live at the same time. Unless magic is involved ofcourse, but i believe he was a stark, who married a walker as some sort of pact, and he, with help, built the wall ala bran the builder. In that messege boards comments, they theorize how they belive it was the walkers who built the wall to keep the humans out.

I hope GRRM pulls that kind of angle with the Walkers, though those theories do have some inconsistencies tho

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
GRRM cant finish writing his books...:scust:
The showrunners cant be bothered to make 10 episode seasons anymore...:scust:

Such a clumsy handling of a highly-praised brand.

IMO they're doing pretty good. Most shows go to the shyts after 4 or 5 seasons. They need to wrap it up when they can and on a high note. 8 years is enough.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
vinyls couldn't hold more content than that. longer albums became the norm after CD's became the standard.

Yep.

I've actually recorded and released on vinyl. I just didn't feel like going into a music history lesson with him cause it has nothing to do with GoT.
But quality has very little to do with quantity. Something can be singularly terrible or excellent in multitude. It depends on the craftsman... was the point.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Eh....that's not true. Double sided vinyl could hold 60+ minutes of music.

The problem wasn't how much it could hold, the problem was the sound quality gets harder to maintain the more songs you press to it. So it becomes a matter of, do you want to bother with it?

So nah, that wasn't a factor. Besides, most 90's albums that were on CD also came out on vinyl.

Fred.