Official Game of Thrones Season 5 Thread (No books/leaks spoilers; spoiler tags not allowed)

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its a fair criticism. the show makes too many leaps of logic that detail oriented viewers notice. you dont even have to be a book reader to ask

":dahell: where the fukk are the 5,000 wildlings they just let into castle black?"

or

":dahell: where the fukk is daario's army?"

i get it, shyt doesnt have to be 100% true to the books, but they dont have to treat the average fan like complete idiots

I feel you but I've come to realize in my interactions with people(outside of this board) that watch this show that the average fan is pretty dumb:manny:

Last edited:

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
@R.E.N. Spells Ren here is where I am having trouble reconciling Stannis dying narratively:

You are correct that the "you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die" can be applied to his quick destruction at the hands of the Boltons. So I have no probelm with his army's destruction

Where this all falls apart narratively stems from Melisandre's behavior towards him throughout the show and the specific words she uses towards him.

1) "You will betray the men who serve you. You will betray your family and everything you hold dear. And it will all be worth it in the end" -- Here, her visions proved true except the last one

2) "Look into the fire Stannis" -- Stannis himself looked into the fire and saw himself as a conquerer

3) "You must go North. Only you can save the kingdom from the real threat to come" -- She saw the upcoming White Walker invasion and that Stannis needed to unite the North to save the realm

4) "I saw Bolton flags burning" -- Self explanatory

Every one of these prophecies needs to be reconciled otherwise his arc is not complete. We know for a fact that her fire visions are real, because it has been proven. So the only explanation is that she misinterpreted all of these visions.

3 and 4 are explainable. She could have had visions of Bolton defeat and Northern unity and not actually seen Stannis as the cause for them. She may have just assumed that he was the man to do it.

But 1 and 2 are not so easily explainable. You know what it reeks of? It reeks of future events being set up in past seasons, then just being flat out dropped when they wrote Season 5. "Oh shyt, we don't have time to finish this story in 20 more episodes. We need to start eliminating characters that take up screen time. Hey look, Stannis isn't going to be a part of the end game anyway so lets just kill him now! That would be shocking!"

I hope that HBO didn't do this. I hope he is still alive. And if he isn't, Melisandre has some explaining to do.

Two explanations and iI like how you are thinking through this.

1. Milsandres visions aren'ta bout STannis but someone else.

a) who else has betrayed men who served you? potentially "betraying" your family and eveyrhting you hold dear. Is this Jon Snows betraying the night's watch with bringing the wildings into castle black?

b) he saw himself as a conquerer or was it him?

c) Jon Snow also went North and maybe he's the savior of the kingdom

d) unfulfilled?

2. Stannis story is not yet complete as you mentioned and all these things will come to pass, Brienne spares his life and he makes the greatest resurrgence that GOT has seen!

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Ya you're right, the wilding fighters probably are at the Wall. Prepping for war if nothing else.

But that's probably why they killed Jon at night instead of the middle of the day :ld:

They still gotta deal with the consequences tho so I really hope next season starts off with wildlings gone wild :heh:

By the way I made a deposit into my coli savings account after u mention how :flabbynsick: it was

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
They don't need one...they're already behind the Wall.

No my issue is if Thorne and the Night's Watch were gonna betray Jon as a traitor....why let him and the wildlings through the Wall in the first place
Because Stannis was still alive and sent Jon with his ships. Now that Stannis is dead, Thorne and the few haters had no reason to hold back.

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
The Wildlings do have their own sense of practical honor. I think they were very much behind Lord Commander Snow after Hardhome. Tormund in particular, and Tormund is DEFINITELY looked at as a leader in their camp now.

Now what the show didn't have time/didn't choose to address was how, at least in the novels, Jon started helping some of the Free Folk assimilate. A few even started on the path of taking the Black and were settling within the Watch's castles; that's a recipe for major trouble right away, soon as THE WINDS OF WINTER starts. In the show, it's possible that the Watch counted on hiding Snow's murder from the Wildlings who now all may be settling in the Gift, South of the Wall, or perhaps lying about it. But eventually, the Wildling point people including Tormund will return to Castle Black (if they really did all leave) needing something. And at that point, it would be unlikely the Free Folk wouldn't react - badly. If/unless Jon's already resurrected by then.

It's a SMMFH scenario that the "Brothers" think they can get away with this shyt. Thorne saw the Free Folk wanting passage, and he should have known that as soon as he granted it, no matter how he hated Jon, things couldn't possibly go back the way they were. Thorne's an idiot even if he is brave, and that's disappointing. I kinda hoped he'd be one of those interesting characters who didn't have plans to shank Snow or might have even scrapped on his behalf, surprising our expectations.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Look, I think Stannis was a clown ass character, and he deserved to fail.

Having said that, in the narrative he was a main character. The show invested a fukk ton of time into building his story.

So all that "LOL there is no main characters, anybody can die like in real life!" shyt is goofy to me. It sounds good in theory but this ain't real life. It's a story a lot of people invested time and effort into following. So for them to take Stannis's entire arc....and basically kill it off in the first 5-10 minutes of the season finale...is not good writing. There's nothing praise worthy about it.

And if he's not dead, that's another set of problems entirely.

Fred.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
its a fair criticism. the show makes too many leaps of logic that detail oriented viewers notice. you dont even have to be a book reader to ask

":dahell: where the fukk are the 5,000 wildlings they just let into castle black?"

or

":dahell: where the fukk is daario's army?"

i get it, shyt doesnt have to be 100% true to the books, but they dont have to treat the average fan like complete idiots
The Wildlings were sent to The Gift. Jon said that's where they would be going in episode 7 I believe.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cmon son, she had him kill the daughter - woke up in the morning boasting

then found out 1/2 the army left

then found out the wife died , which they probably told him in her presence

he was gonna kill her

no one knew how big the army the Boltons had, hell he thought he would get a chance to siege winterfell not get obliterated. Don't give me that Azor Ahai prophecy - she stuck with him after kings landing failure. This time after he did everything she asked and she was taking "L"'s plus lost his family. LOL@probably hated her....he was gonna dead her.
Breh...:snoop: he wasn't going to kill her. Just stop it lol. For what reason? And when? If he defeats the boltons, her way is correct...right? So why would he kill her if her advice is helping him WIN...which is all he wanted. You really think he would murk her when she would've been the most powerful weapon he had to use to get to the throne? You been paying attention? Stannis burned his daughter alive, you really think he gave a fucc about the consequences of getting the throne aslong as he got it? And If he lost, he grts murked before he can get revenge on her, which is what happened. Explain to me a scene where he alluded to the fact he wanted to kill her or she alluded to being in fear of stannis killing her....cos you LOL'ing at me using evidence from the books and the show talking about dont give me the azor ahai prophecy as if the only reason she rolls with stannis isnt because she thought he was azor ahai :dead: while your making full reaches and assumptions lol...smh...if you cant give me no scenes its whatever and just don't bother replying and we'll agree to disagree. Kool.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Breh...:snoop: he wasn't going to kill her. Just stop it lol. For what reason? And when? If he defeats the boltons, her way is correct...right? So why would he kill her if her advice is helping him WIN...which is all he wanted. You really think he would murk her when she would've been the most powerful weapon he had to use to get to the throne? You been paying attention? Stannis burned his daughter alive, you really think he gave a fucc about the consequences of getting the throne aslong as he got it? And If he lost, he grts murked before he can get revenge on her, which is what happened. Explain to me a scene where he alluded to the fact he wanted to kill her or she alluded to being in fear of stannis killing her....cos you LOL'ing at me using evidence from the books and the show talking about dont give me the azor ahai prophecy as if the only reason she rolls with stannis isnt because she thought he was azor ahai :dead: while your making full reaches and assumptions lol...smh...if you cant give me no scenes its whatever and just don't bother replying and we'll agree to disagree. Kool.
You done bumped your head if you think he wasn't gonna put the beats on her given half a chance. She knew she had better get fukk out of there. She was good as dead.

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
21636990.jpg

I think Dillane's acting though is very interesting in the finale. It almost seems like he knew he was on a suicide mission even before the bad news started rolling in. He may have been too bummed/too indifferent to deal with the Red Bytch at all.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Neither were focal points in the way that Jon is, tho. This whole story is about stopping the White Walkers, the war between Light and Dark. While Ned and Robb were certainly main characters, neither was purported to have a major role in that war.
The name of the show is Game Of Thrones, the whole story is about taking the throne