Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
a_560x375.jpg

:mjpls:

a_560x375.jpg

:mjpls:
Looks exactly like I thought he would. ::lolbron:

I thought it was great. This is one of the moments of the book I was waiting for a visual representation of.
The thing I can nitpick at and what I don't think the show does a good job of is how emotional Cersei is in the book. She wanted Tyrion gone so bad during that fight that when the Viper drives the spear into the Mountain she starts shreiking. She is absolutely livid when it looks like Tyrion is cleared. Instead in the show she just kinda mean mugs. Oh, Tyrion throws up when Oberyn gets his head smashed too.
That wouldn't have been bad to see. :ehh:

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
For those interested in the racial categories in the series:
So let's talk about the internet controversy about Oberyn Martell. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I commented on my blog. You can find a more studied response there. I made a couple of comments as to what people said about that. I always pictured Oberyn Martell in my head as a — what I call a Mediterranean type. I know people attacked me for that by saying "He's ignorant, he doesn't know that Africa is on the Mediterranean." No, I know Africa is on the Mediterranean. But in common parlance, when you say Mediterranean you are thinking Greek, Italian, Spanish. When you are thinking Moroccan or Tunisian that’s North African. That’s the way people talk about that.

I always pictured the Martells and the salty Dornishman as Mediterraneans, so the casting I think is perfectly appropriate with what I wrote in the books. I do sympathize. I mean, I understand.

Some people have written me some very heartfelt letters, and I've tried to respond to them about how they wanted to see someone who looked like them in the books, and how they were [disappointed]. They had pictures of the Martells looking like them, and they were disappointed.

I understand that, but it still wasn't my intent to make... Even the terminology here is such a land mine. I don't even know what words to use here "black" or "African." I used African at one point, sort of like African American. [But] if you use "African" you are guilty for saying all Africans are the same.

I don't know. I am drawing from history, even though its fantasy. I've read a lot of history, The War of the Roses, The Hundred Years War. The World back then was very diverse. Culturally it was perhaps more diverse then our world, but travel was very difficult back then. So even though there might have been many different races and ethnicities and peoples, they didn't necessarily mix a great deal. I'm drawing largely on medieval England, medieval Scotland, to some extent medieval France. There was an occasional person of color, but certainly not in any great numbers.

And meanwhile, you've got Daenerys visiting more Eurasian and Middle Eastern cultures.

And that has generated its controversy too. I answer that one to in my blog. I know some of the people who are coming at this from a political or racial angle just seem to completely disregard the logistics of the thing here. I talk about what's in the books. The books are what I write. What I’m responsible for.

18usdjjw6s7czjpg.jpg

Slavery in the ancient world, and slavery in the medieval world, was not race-based. You could lose a war if you were a Spartan, and if you lost a war you could end up a slave in Athens, or vice versa. You could get in debt, and wind up a slave. And that’s what I tried to depict, in my books, that kind of slavery.

So the people that Dany frees in the slaver cities are of many different ethnicities, and that’s been fairly explicit in the books. But of course when David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] and his crew are filming that scene [of Daenerys being carried by freed slaves], they are filming it in Morocco, and they put out a call for 800 extras. That’s a lot of extras. They hired the people who turned up. Extras don't get paid very much. I did an extra gig once, and got like $40 a day.

It's probably actually less in Morocco, since you don't have to pay quite the same rate. If you're giving 800 Moroccans 40 bucks each, you're not going to fly in 100 Irishmen just to balance the racial background here. We had enough trouble meeting our budget anyway.

I know for some readers, they don’t care about this shyt. But these things are about budget and realism, and things you can actually do. You are shooting the scene in a day. You don't have a lot of time to [worry] about that, and as someone who has worked in television this kind of stuff is very important to me. I don't know if that is answer or not. I made that answer, and some people weren't pleased with that answer, I know. They are very upset about that.

People complain that the Dothraki are this one-dimensional barbarian society.

I haven't had a Dothraki viewpoint character though.

I guess it's too late to introduce one now.

I could introduce a Dothraki viewpoint character, but I already have like sixteen viewpoint characters. I could kill some of my viewpoint characters, to get down to the seven or eight I started with, or some numerical equivalent. The Dothraki are partially based on the Huns and the Mongols, some extent the steppe tribes like the Alvars and Magyars. I put in a few elements of the Amerindian plains tribes and those peoples, and then I threw in some purely fantasy elements. It's fantasy.

Are they barbaric? Yeah, but the Mongols were, too. Genghis Khan — I just saw an interesting movie about Ghengis Khan, recently. I've read books about Genghis Khan, and he's one of history’s more fascinating, charismatic characters. The Mongols became very sophisticated at certain points, but they were certainly not sophisticated when they started out, and even at the height of their sophistication they were fond of doing things like giant piles of heads. "Surrender your city to me, or we will come in and kill all the men, rape all the women and make a giant pile of heads." They did that a few times, and other cities said, "Surrender is good. We'll surrender. We'll pay the taxes. No pile of heads, please.”

Source: http://io9.com/george-r-r-martin-answers-our-toughest-song-of-ice-and-886133300

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: CJ

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
From his blog:

grrm
Jul. 4th, 2013 07:01 am (UTC)
Re: House Martell Casting
I wasn't present for Pedro Pascal's audition, but I understand that he really killed it with his reading. And since his casting was announced, the producer of another TV show on which he appeared recently has written me to say how terrific Pascal is, and to congratulate us on the casting. So I suspect that he will turn out to be a wonderful Red Viper.

I do know that David and Dan and HBO do favor having a racially and ethnically diverse cast on the series. It is true that we've lost several black characters who appear in the novels (Chataya and Alayaya, Jalabhar Xho, Strong Belwas), but to balance that, characters like Salladhor Saan and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, both white in the books, have been played by black actors. Missandei as well, though in the books the Naathi are golden-skinned, not white.

As for the Dornishmen, well, though by and large I reject one to one analogies, I've always pictured the "salty Dornish" as being more Mediterranean than African in appearance; Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, etc. Dark hair and eyes, olive skin. Pedro Pascal is Chilean. (Check out Amok's version of the Red Viper, that's how I saw him. Or Magali Villenueve's beautiful and sexy portrait of Princess Arianne).

When and if the (OMITTED THE REST DUE TO SPOILER BUT BASICALLY THAT WE WILL SEE MORE BLACK CHARACTERS ON THE SHOW IF YOU CLICK ON THE LINK...YOU WILL BE SPOILED.

Source: http://grrm.livejournal.com/326474.html?thread=17863242#t17863242

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: CJ

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
  • Westeros is inspired by Medieval England.
  • Medieval England refers to a time period known as the Middle Ages.
  • The Middle Ages occurred from 500 A.D. to 1500 A.D.
  • The entire series of A Game of Thrones is based on an English civil war known as the War of the Roses.
Spoilers ain't funny. You got a warning this time.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
How is that a spoiler :dahell:

World history is a spoiler now?
If people feel agravated about certain characters or sets that haven't been on the show and you talk about them(don't need to be specific), that's a spoiler in my book. People want to feel :gladbron: about minor things, that's it. I let a next season characters slide since it was [spoiled] but it won't happen again. End of discussion.