Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Brehs? What are we even arguing about? :wtf:

Characters come and go. They serve their purposes. And anyone criticising GRRM for his choice of killing off certain characters need to realize that none of this is done haphazardly. I can't think of a single death of a "main character" (whatever that means in the GoT universe) that hasn't led to something worthwhile, or had an impact. As fun as it is to joke about, I'm sure he isn't trolling us.

Exactly breh, thats was I was telling Fred earlier that none of these deaths other than Cat could even be considered shock deaths. They all served an important thematic purpose.

Neds -- Started the War of the 5 Kings, basically was the driving force behind every single thing that has happened in King's Landing since season 1

Robb & Joffrey -- Essentially ended the War of the 5 Kings and that story arc. Robb dying killed the North, Joffrey dying was a crushing blow to whatever chances Stannis had left because it put a competent leader (Tywin) in charge of everything behind a controllable Tommen

Oberyn -- Really think about the situation at hand and draw your own conclusions

Catelyn -- Probably could have lived, but her death was definitely an important step in crushing any hopes the North may have had to regroup. For all intents and purposes, she was the last remaining Stark since Sansa was under Lannister control. All others were presumed dead. But I do think this qualifies as a shock death so if you wanna diss Cat getting murked, I won't argue

Viserys -- Needed to die to advance Dany's character.

Renly -- Shifted the balance of power to the Lannisters and Stannis and established the Lord of Light as a real entity. Renly would have had the army to win the throne if the shadow baby didn't get him.

Thats it. No other major character has died, and if more do I can guarantee you will be able to spot the purpose with some critical thinking. There are dozens of them still living, and most all of them have been in life or death circumstances and come out on the living side. So where is this 'predictable unpredictability' at?

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Exactly breh, thats was I was telling Fred earlier that none of these deaths other than Cat could even be considered shock deaths. They all served an important thematic purpose.

Neds -- Started the War of the 5 Kings, basically was the driving force behind every single thing that has happened in King's Landing since season 1

Robb & Joffrey -- Essentially ended the War of the 5 Kings and that story arc. Robb dying killed the North, Joffrey dying was a crushing blow to whatever chances Stannis had left because it put a competent leader (Tywin) in charge of everything behind a controllable Tommen

Oberyn -- Really think about the situation at hand and draw your own conclusions

Catelyn -- Probably could have lived, but her death was definitely an important step in crushing any hopes the North may have had to regroup. For all intents and purposes, she was the last remaining Stark since Sansa was under Lannister control. All others were presumed dead. But I do think this qualifies as a shock death so if you wanna diss Cat getting murked, I won't argue

Renly -- Shifted the balance of power to the Lannisters and Stannis and established the Lord of Light as a real entity. Renly would have had the army to win the throne if the shadow baby didn't get him.

Thats it. No other major character has died, and if more do I can guarantee you will be able to spot the purpose with some critical thinking. There are dozens of them still living, and most all of them have been in life or death circumstances and come out on the living side. So where is this 'predictable unpredictability' at?

If I may piggy back on what you said, I don't even think the War of 5 Kings is important. :yeshrug:

Sugar

Banned
Daps

you forgot King Robert too brah. and Drogo if he would be considered an important character.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Honestly I think you all need to realize that the main character, the star of this show, is the realm of the 7 kingdoms. It's past, present and future are what the whole thing is about. For me as a reader, any character can die ad it won't take away my interest in this story because every death serves a purpose. It's all a huge web of domino effects and at the end, it's just about what is happening in westeros.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
I want disagree. What's your rationale though?

I should clarify to say that I don't think it's important as a center piece of the story. It's obviously an important subplot device, as is pretty much everything outside of humor and normal character and/or location development, but I think the show makes it explicitly clear what is of significant overall importance here. If you go back and watch the past seasons, they make it absolutely clear.

Of course the details remain to be sketched out and it doesn't tell you how it well end, but it tells you what the focus is.

Just my opinion. I'm not spoiling anything here. This is just my opinion and the opinion of some others.

I just scratch my head how people are missing obvious signs. Hell, the show even jumped ahead of the books for a significant reveal this season.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:wtf: :ufdup:Going off the list of the battles in "The War of the 5 Kings" on the wiki-site for the books, the war is not over. The war between the Ironborn & the Bolton-led North is still going on, Stannis is now being funded by the Iron Bank, & we really haven't seen some of the aftermath of the Red Wedding.

:ohhh: This also sorta ties into something I've noticed the last couple weeks. I've watched the fukk outta the various trailers that HBO released before season. Everything that happens in those trailers have already happened thorough the first 8 episodes of the season OR is gonna happen in this upcoming episode 9. Which means there is literally NO footage of the season finale in those trailers. I'm thinking the Season Finale is gonna be the biggest season finale of the series so far.

Sugar

Banned
Daps
:wtf: :ufdup:Going off the list of the battles in "The War of the 5 Kings" on the wiki-site for the books, the war is not over. The war between the Ironborn & the Bolton-led North is still going on, Stannis is now being funded by the Iron Bank, & we really haven't seen some of the aftermath of the Red Wedding.

:ohhh: This also sorta ties into something I've noticed the last couple weeks. I've watched the fukk outta the various trailers that HBO released before season. Everything that happens in those trailers have already happened thorough the first 8 episodes of the season OR is gonna happen in this upcoming episode 9. Which means there is literally NO footage of the season finale in those trailers. I'm thinking the Season Finale is gonna be the biggest season finale of the series so far.

:lupe: u nikkas got me hyped as shyt now