Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I must say "with the way it was shot"

You'd expect a guy that athletic and with those cat quick reflexes....to roll up outta that shyt. I mean dude spin moving in the air like Jordan.

They should have showed him clearly smashing his head on the ground and "being out of it" for a second.

Because there were times The Mountain knocked him down or had him in a good position to be struck by a sword...yet Oberyn would get out of target range quickly.

I think the way they meant it to be seen was him hitting the ground and The Mountain grabbed him up instantly after that giving him chance to do nothing.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:what:
She's not even the baddest Queen in the Red Keep
:what: :wtf::dahell:Who is badder than her in the Red Keep?!! It ain't Cersei.
:whoa: cersei can just look at a nikka and make me feel some type a way :noah: her and Dany got them facial expressions breh i can't explain it

:ehh: If we talking about on the show & in-character, I guess it's debatable who the baddest chick on the show is. If we talking off-show & the actress as themselves, Natalie Dormer (The chick who plays Margery Tyrell) is definitely the baddest.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I'll put it in spoilers so that way people can scroll past what I got to say like :manny:

I don't want to be that guy and nitpick the episode for people that liked it.

First off I don't read the books. So anything I say is strictly about the show....and I guess by extension the books.

The show tries so hard to go against the grain that it's becoming predictable. "The grain" being the usual happy "good guys win" Hollywood bullshyt. After 4 seasons anytime I see a new interesting character that seems halfway decent I assume they'll die a horrible death. I swear to God I had a convo earlier in the day....and I called the fight ending more or less exactly how it did. I knew Obreryn would die, and he'd die horribly, and it would somehow undermine the Trial By Combat, thus keeping Tyrion in danger. That's G.R.R. Martin 101 at this point.

So the reasons you're saying....nah. They've been pulling the same okey-doke since Ned Stark, and I don't want some happy shyt because I want the Lannisters to catch an L....I want anything beyond the usual "introduce/prop up a decent character....oh they're dead" routine going on 4 seasons. "Nobody is safe" is cool but eventually somebody has to be safe, or else death means nothing, because you always expect it. Or at least let off the gas pedal a bit, then catch people slipping. Beloved characters catching Ls late in the season is a cliche at this point.

"Oh look, he died". :yeshrug: That's basically how I watched that fight. Not trying to start a stan war but "The Wire" pulled off the "nobody is safe" shyt better, without it seeming like borderline trolling.

It's whatever. I'm not gonna stop watching but I hope at some point G.R.R. Martin understands that if everyone is constantly in danger that becomes as meaningless as nobody ever being in danger.

Fred.
i'd agree with you if all of the "big" deaths didn't have any effect on anything, but they do so :manny: it's not like he's just killin people off for lulz breh, tyrion getting that death sentence is a major

if you think any of these deaths are for no reason then you must have some type of short term memory cuz we've seen again and again how big characters dying changed the course of the story, King Robert,Ned, Robb/Cat, Joffery, even people THINKIN arya bran and rickon were dead effected the choices and moves made by other characters (im only talking in the context of the tv show of course, no spoilers)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
tumblr_m7ykx4zx241rxe2jbo1_500.gif

:dahell: nikkas wasn't lying. That nikka Chief Keef look dirty as fukk & look like he ain't showered in a month. Even his clothes look dirty & needs to be washed.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
I'll put it in spoilers so that way people can scroll past what I got to say like :manny:

I don't want to be that guy and nitpick the episode for people that liked it.

First off I don't read the books. So anything I say is strictly about the show....and I guess by extension the books.

The show tries so hard to go against the grain that it's becoming predictable. "The grain" being the usual happy "good guys win" Hollywood bullshyt. After 4 seasons anytime I see a new interesting character that seems halfway decent I assume they'll die a horrible death. I swear to God I had a convo earlier in the day....and I called the fight ending more or less exactly how it did. I knew Obreryn would die, and he'd die horribly, and it would somehow undermine the Trial By Combat, thus keeping Tyrion in danger. That's G.R.R. Martin 101 at this point.

So the reasons you're saying....nah. They've been pulling the same okey-doke since Ned Stark, and I don't want some happy shyt because I want the Lannisters to catch an L....I want anything beyond the usual "introduce/prop up a decent character....oh they're dead" routine going on 4 seasons. "Nobody is safe" is cool but eventually somebody has to be safe, or else death means nothing, because you always expect it. Or at least let off the gas pedal a bit, then catch people slipping. Beloved characters catching Ls late in the season is a cliche at this point.

"Oh look, he died". :yeshrug: That's basically how I watched that fight. Not trying to start a stan war but "The Wire" pulled off the "nobody is safe" shyt better, without it seeming like borderline trolling.

It's whatever. I'm not gonna stop watching but I hope at some point G.R.R. Martin understands that if everyone is constantly in danger that becomes as meaningless as nobody ever being in danger.

Fred.

Agree 1000%. People are like, "Why didn't Oberyn do this or that?" "Why did he HAVE to let his vendetta get in the way?" :beli:

Oberyn didn't do shyt. GRRM did. It's his master level troll ass that does this every season (as a byproduct of the books). GRRM'S thing is that he wants to break all the writing conventions (e.g. poetic justice, hero arch, etc). We get it, dude. We got it a long time ago.

I also don't know how people are supposed to watch a show and not get attached to the characters at all (if they like the show and don't posses some foreknowledge of events). That's not really feasible for most people. When people say, "I love this show," or "I like this show," they're actually saying there's some quality or characteristic about the show they like beyond the basic story-line, which is derived from some character(s). So, if I say, "I love 24" the likelihood of me then turning around and saying, "But, I hate Jack Bauer" or "I have no feelings towards him at all. I'm apathetic," isn't likely. Basically, Jack Bauer = bad ass, so 24 = bad ass.

*Editor's note: I haven't seen one episode of 24. I was just using it as an example. :yeshrug:

There is definitely merit to what both of you are saying, but you have to understand that GRRM wrote most of these scenes before social media existed. I don't think he did it for shock value, but as filler (my opinion, no spoilers). There was no real social media backlash. My only fear is that now that there is social media and the show happens to arguably be the most popular show in the world, he will fall victim to altering his original plan in order to shock people or to say "look, I'm better than you". That would be severely disappointing.

But (in my opinion, again no spoilers), the show and book have already told us the deal. The main arc is there, out in the open.

Pay attention to these scenes from earlier season. They don't spoil anything while telling you exactly what the main arc is (in my opinion):

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Agree 1000%. People are like, "Why didn't Oberyn do this or that?" "Why did he HAVE to let his vendetta get in the way?" :beli:

Oberyn didn't do shyt. GRRM did. It's his master level troll ass that does this every season (as a byproduct of the books). GRRM'S thing is that he wants to break all the writing conventions (e.g. poetic justice, hero arch, etc). We get it, dude. We got it a long time ago.

I also don't know how people are supposed to watch a show and not get attached to the characters at all (if they like the show and don't posses some foreknowledge of events). That's not really feasible for most people. When people say, "I love this show," or "I like this show," they're actually saying there's some quality or characteristic about the show they like beyond the basic story-line, which is derived from some character(s). So, if I say, "I love 24" the likelihood of me then turning around and saying, "But, I hate Jack Bauer" or "I have no feelings towards him at all. I'm apathetic," isn't likely. Basically, Jack Bauer = bad ass, so 24 = bad ass.

*Editor's note: I haven't seen one episode of 24. I was just using it as an example. :yeshrug:

But isn't the point of watching things like this is to get lost in the world? You aren't supposed to care about who's crafting the world. It's somewhat predictable as a watcher of a narrative but looking at it from a perspective of any character or person in the world it's just the way shyt is. Oberyn's vendetta made sense 100% in the world it was in. It's been the only thing driving his character since he stepped foot in King's Landing.

Also you should watch 24 and see how that show goes against the grain.

LurkLurker

No f*cks available to be given
Daps
Reppin
Secret Location, Somewhere
I like it because it is reality...human depravity at its finest. I look at it from an analogy and philosophical point of view...So I don't really care who gets got...there is a message that we all learn from these deaths.:yeshrug:

This is the way I take in the story too. It's fun to ride or die for some character, but if they go it's for a reason. Just because that reason isn't apparent in the first 10 minutes after you see it happen, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Stannis gonna be alright tho. :salute:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
There is definitely merit to what both of you are saying, but you have to understand that GRRM wrote most of these scenes before social media existed. I don't think he did it for shock value, but as filler (my opinion, no spoilers). There was no real social media backlash. My only fear is that now that there is social media and the show happens to arguably be the most popular show in the world, he will fall victim to altering his original plan in order to shock people or to say "look, I'm better than you". That would be severely disappointing.

But (in my opinion, again no spoilers), the show and book have already told us the deal. The main arc is there, out in the open.

Pay attention to these scenes from earlier season. They don't spoil anything while telling you exactly what the main arc is (in my opinion):

I would rather he stick to his original plan off GP, whatever it is, social media be damned. Even if I don't like it. I assume the foundation of this story was set in stone since the 90's. The books didn't really catch on until after the show, so it's hard to say how a lot of these arcs were initially received.

Fred.

LostOne

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do y'all think losing Jorah is going to play out? He's been her best advisor as far as strategy, she might start making mistakes without old Jorah. Who is going to take his place?
She has no voice of reason/compassion anymore, I suspect muhfukkas gonna start burning left and right.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i'd agree with you if all of the "big" deaths didn't have any effect on anything, but they do so :manny: it's not like he's just killin people off for lulz breh, tyrion getting that death sentence is a major

if you think any of these deaths are for no reason then you must have some type of short term memory cuz we've seen again and again how big characters dying changed the course of the story, King Robert,Ned, Robb/Cat, Joffery, even people THINKIN arya bran and rickon were dead effected the choices and moves made by other characters (im only talking in the context of the tv show of course, no spoilers)

I never said the deaths are for no reason, or anything like that breh. I'm sure Oberyn's death will have huge ramifications.

Fred.

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I can see the confusion when O'Block hits the mat. I noticed that on the 2nd go. The editing was a little botchy as Mountain's right arm is by his side, but a second later he is single handedly raising Oberyn by the neck with the same arm. Oberyn doesn't roll into him though, he is literally picked up by the dude :damn: