Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

DonkeyPuncher718

If Your Knee Dont Bend It Can Be Broken
Daps
Reppin
The Wall
Winning and not dying are two different things. Dayne, Drogo, Jamie in his prime, Selmy...these cats don't need to "survive" a fight....they beat you. And Dayne wasn't worn down, he was overwhelmed. The fact that 3 kingsguard took on 7 of the North's BEST and only 2 survived is a testament to the Kinsguard not the Northmen.

The question was how good of a swordsman Ned was, and for sure he's good. But nowhere near those others. If you got jumped by 3 cats and took out 2 you wouldn't be talking about how good that last dude is...you would talk about how it took 3 of them to take you out.

Talk to 'em breh:salute:

I hear you, but I guess Ned being Ned figured that he was better off with family than somewhere else. It may not make sense to us, but Ned seems like a really old school kinda cat.
Co-Sign about them letting him join the watch though. I get the feeling that maybe Robb and the other kids didn't know. I'm pretty sure that Ned and Benjen still see it as an honorable calling though. They sold him the dream. :sadcam:

They sold that breh the american dream he aint know until it was too late he took his frustrations out on his brothers when they were training breaking Edd's nose:sadbron:

On another note talking about Benjen Stark Im sure that was a person Jon looked up too and made his decision to join the nights watch that much easier. Watching season 1 where the fukk is Benjen Stark we dont have ANY IDEA where breh is went to investigate distrurbing reports and he aint been seen since I know its Cold in the north you know the nights watch could use all the Hands they have:laugh:

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Talk to 'em breh:salute:

They sold that breh the american dream he aint know until it was too late he took his frustrations out on his brothers when they were training breaking Edd's nose:sadbron:

On another note talking about Benjen Stark Im sure that was a person Jon looked up too and made his decision to join the nights watch that much easier. Watching season 1 where the fukk is Benjen Stark we dont have ANY IDEA where breh is went to investigate distrurbing reports and he aint been seen since I know its Cold in the north you know the nights watch could use all the Hands they have:laugh:
:laugh:
The first thing I thought of was the army recruiters prowling my high school grounds trying to get us. They got my bro. :sadcam:

I do wonder what's happened to Benjen. Homie became an Unsolved Mystery real quick.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I feel what you are saying about Cat having to watch JonSnow around winterfell must have had her in her feelings but it aint like Cat got any power she aint Cersei Lannister even Robert was quick to slap that broad when she got out of line Ned should have checked Cat from the jump.

You also bring up Jon parents being a secret and all that if thats the case why not send him with Howland Reed? At least you know you leave him with someone who knows the truth plus he aint going to get shytted on by them Reeds they seem like real cool peoples. Watching season 1 again I never truly realized how bad Jon Snow had it real talk its fukked up what he had to go through in winterfell plus getting suckered into joining the nights watch Jaime AND Tyrion tried to tell Jon Snow the truth but he didnt want to hear it coming from a Lannister plus he was blinded by the fact he was joining something close to the family business:smh:

When Tyrion and Jon are traveling to the nights watch and Tyrion breaks down how everyone there are the worst scum with know choice in being there he had his"shyt got real" moment

Jon="They knew. They knew what I was joining and didnt tell me the truth":to:

Tyrion(paraphrasing) "Tough break breh. Better get used to staring at men all day and being called a b*stard. Better learn to own it":ufdup:

Ned is the lord of winterfell and no one is going to question his word, simple as that especially a man as straight laced as Ned Stark. Ned keeping him was the best course of action to protect him, should his parents be who we think they are.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I feel what you are saying about Cat having to watch JonSnow around winterfell must have had her in her feelings but it aint like Cat got any power she aint Cersei Lannister even Robert was quick to slap that broad when she got out of line Ned should have checked Cat from the jump.

You also bring up Jon parents being a secret and all that if thats the case why not send him with Howland Reed? At least you know you leave him with someone who knows the truth plus he aint going to get shytted on by them Reeds they seem like real cool peoples. Watching season 1 again I never truly realized how bad Jon Snow had it real talk its fukked up what he had to go through in winterfell plus getting suckered into joining the nights watch Jaime AND Tyrion tried to tell Jon Snow the truth but he didnt want to hear it coming from a Lannister plus he was blinded by the fact he was joining something close to the family business:smh:

When Tyrion and Jon are traveling to the nights watch and Tyrion breaks down how everyone there are the worst scum with know choice in being there he had his"shyt got real" moment

Jon="They knew. They knew what I was joining and didnt tell me the truth":to:

Tyrion(paraphrasing) "Tough break breh. Better get used to staring at men all day and being called a b*stard. Better learn to own it":ufdup:

The problem with this entire post is it assumes that people were hiding the truth from Jon. They weren't. Because to the Starks, the Nights Watch IS a position of honor from now until forever. It is only the people from the south who look at it as a band of misfits and outcasts. To the Northerners, there are no misfits and outcasts on the Watch, only brothers. The House Stark founder built the wall and helped establish the watch, we are joined together.

Didn't Ned's face light up like a Christmas tree when he found out Jon wanted to go to the wall? His excitement was not because he pulled the wool over Jon's head and tricked him into joining, it was because he knew that Jon would be accepted there. Benjen Stark is a true man of honor and Jon wanted to follow in his footsteps, it was Jon's choice he was not pressured or tricked.

Yes, Tyrion told Jon the truth about the type of people that the Nights Watch recruits, but they are forced to recruit those people because of all the southern idiots who have forgotten the purpose of the brotherhood. The southerners think it is just a bunch of rapists and thieves fighting off the Wildlings. The Wildlings aint shyt and the people of the North know it. Hell, the Nights Watch can't even maintain their castles or add to the Wall anymore thanks to the south, then those same southerners have the nerve to spit on the Watch because they are surviving on the scraps?

Matter of fact, I gotta quit talking about this shyt cause its got my blood boiling and I'm just wishing more and more for the White Walkers to come in and destroy the whole motherfukking continent with a Northern welcoming party on the Kingsroad

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Winning and not dying are two different things. Dayne, Drogo, Jamie in his prime, Selmy...these cats don't need to "survive" a fight....they beat you. And Dayne wasn't worn down, he was overwhelmed. The fact that 3 kingsguard took on 7 of the North's BEST and only 2 survived is a testament to the Kinsguard not the Northmen.

The question was how good of a swordsman Ned was, and for sure he's good. But nowhere near those others. If you got jumped by 3 cats and took out 2 you wouldn't be talking about how good that last dude is...you would talk about how it took 3 of them to take you out.

First off, Ned didn't "not die," Ned did win. Secondly, Howland Reed was not a fighter so it was 6 vs. 3, not 7. And 3 Kingsguard, led by the GOAT swordsmen, should easily be able to dispatch of 6 common knights. Yes, it is a testament to the Kingsguard, and it is also a testament to Ned as the only surviving swordsman of the battle.

But ignoring all that, ignoring the Tower of Joy, I already pointed out that we have direct evidence of how a battle between Ned and Jaime would go down. This is the Game of Thrones thread, which means Game of Thrones is cannon. And since GRRM had a direct role in season 1 as producer, I suspect this could be as close to book cannon you can get in terms of sword skill levels without actually being in the books:

Peep Jaime's face at around 2:17-2:19.....dude look like he just saw the holy ghost. Against an old and past prime Ned. Combine this with Ned's proven warrior skills, vs Jaime's I have verbally declared I am amazing body of work. What did Jaime do to prove this? Looking up his history, it looks like one victory over Big Belly Ben? (Big Belly, really? :flabbynsick:). Also, the fact that he DIDN'T die against the Smiling Knight? (sounds familiar...the whole 'not dying' thing). Furthermore, he was promoted to the Kingsguard yes because he was a skilled swordsmen, but a far greater reason was because the Mad King wanted to mock Tywin Lannister by depriving him of his heir. So even his Kingsguard promotion is a stained one.

I'm sorry, I got respect for Jaime as a swordsmen, but this blanket acceptance of his greatness is completely without merit or actual evidence.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons

Thank you:salute:This convo always goes like this. No one knows how the battle went down. All we know is that Ned claims Howland saved his life from Arthur Dayne. That means that Dayne and Ned might have never even clashed swords before Howland got involved. This whole Ned vs. Jamie discussion wouldn't even exist if the show didn't feel the need to get as much out of Sean Bean's character as possible before they killed him off. There's a reason that when people talk about Jamie they automatically mention his fighting prowess and when they talk about Ned they mention his honor. Ned had a ton of great qualities, no need to invent more of them.

• Dap
Reactions: Jax
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
There's a reason that when people talk about Jamie they automatically mention his fighting prowess and when they talk about Ned they mention his honor. Ned had a ton of great qualities, no need to invent more of them.

And that reason is because Jaime is a sniveling prick who has nothing else going for him, while Ned had a multitude of great qualities.

I gotta ask again, what is on Jaime's resume that has gained him such acceptance? Who says Ned cant beat him other than himself? I need to see the text because I dont remember any

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
*WITHDRAWS NED SWORDFIGHTING PRAISE*

Nevermind yall, I just went sniffing around and word straight from the mouth of GRRM is that Ned was more of a brilliant commander than a brilliant swordsman, and that Jaime is one of the greatest to have ever lived.

I withdraw my entire argument. The man that makes the characters has spoken. Jaime would have snuffed Ned 1 on 1, Ned would have beat him on the battlefield

King Crimson

Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Ned is the lord of winterfell and no one is going to question his word, simple as that especially a man as straight laced as Ned Stark. Ned keeping him was the best course of action to protect him, should his parents be who we think they are.
My sentiments exactly.

I just finished season 3. :to: :sadbron: :sadcam:

:pacspit:
oAapmT3.png

*WITHDRAWS NED SWORDFIGHTING PRAISE*

Nevermind yall, I just went sniffing around and word straight from the mouth of GRRM is that Ned was more of a brilliant commander than a brilliant swordsman, and that Jaime is one of the greatest to have ever lived.

I withdraw my entire argument. The man that makes the characters has spoken. Jaime would have snuffed Ned 1 on 1, Ned would have beat him on the battlefield
What'd you come across? Share it, please.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
What'd you come across? Share it, please.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mo...ge-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-sports-podcast/
SI.com: The athlete atop our athlete power list is LeBron James. Who is the equivalent of LeBron in your universe?

Martin: Well, LeBron James is the greatest active basketball player I suppose so the parallel in Westeros would be who is the greatest active swordsman. You can make a case for Jamie Lannister. You can make a case for The Hound or his brother Ser Gregor [Clegane] or Sir Loras [Tyrell], the Knight of Flowers. These are all first class Knights. Or even Ser Barristan The Bold [Sir Barristan Selmy]. These are all guys who are top at their own particular sport, which is swordsmanship and jousting, and all of the combat skills that attend knighthood.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/How_good_a_swordsman_was_Ned

so maybe we shouldn't draw all these conclusion :ld:
Only conclusions anyone has attempted to draw from that is that Ned must be a great swordsman if he survived. Me and a couple other dudes are the ones saying it's ridiculous to assume that.

King Crimson

Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
There is an MTV interview where he is discussing ASOIAF characters vs. LOTR characters

Says Jaime is one of the greatest in the history of Westeros, says Ned is more of a "general"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mo...ge-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-sports-podcast/

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/How_good_a_swordsman_was_Ned

Only conclusions anyone has attempted to draw from that is that Ned must be a great swordsman if he survived. Me and a couple other dudes are the ones saying it's ridiculous to assume that.
Good looks.