Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Rewatching Season 3. How can anyone run with Stannis? He's finna give up Gendry to The Red Woman. :why:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Rewatching Season 3. How can anyone run with Stannis? He's finna give up Gendry to The Red Woman. :why:
This is another stain on his character along with the okie doke on Renly

But understand the moral dilemma here

"What is one boy vs. an entire kingdom".....according to Melisandre, the burning of Gendry would literally bring an end to the war and put Stannis on the throne. Power in a king's blood. If Gendry was just some random teenager (adult in their world) then I would burn him no question. The problem becomes that he is Robert's blood, which makes him Stannis' blood too. Killing kin is one of the most unforgiveable sins in their entire world. But Gendry is a b*stard, does he really even count as kin? Major grey area all around.

Also, take into account that Stannis appointed a low born smuggler (Davos) as his right hand man and his future hand of king. This goes well beyond what is considered unacceptable in terms of royal behavior, but Stannis knew that Davos was the right man for the job so he did it anyway. And it was Davos that saved Gendry. Stannis put Davos there to protect him from himself. Sure, Stannis made the wrong decision by giving Gendry to Mel, but he made the right decision before that to stop the outcome from happening.

And in the end, Stannis is still the king by every law known to man.:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I'm gonna defend Stannis a bit in spoiler tags. The reason I'm putting spoiler tags up is because I am going to briefly cite a few differences between how the show has portrayed his character and how the book does. I'm only going to mention past events that have already occurred on the show, so show-only watchers can click this if they want a brief summary of why Stannis is loved so much. I'm putting it in spoiler tags out of courtesy to those who don't want anything to do with it

Stannis fans are almost always book readers, because to be quite frank his portrayal on the show along with some slight changes to the plot paint him in more of a negative light. It is one of the few issues that I consider to be legit gripes with the story adaptation. In regards to Renly's murder, we never see the lead up in the books. We never see or find out about Stannis having sex with Melisandre or lusting after her, we never see him order Davos to smuggle her in. That never happened as far as we know. in the book the shadow just appears and "looks like Stannis" and we find out indirectly later that Stannis is weakened by Melisandre, and it is heavily implied that they had sex and created the shadow baby. The show writers took great liberty with this implication and turned it into a major moment in the show and it makes Stannis come off as a simp. Furthermore, he is much more dismissive of Melisandre in the book. He doesn't lust for her or simp her at all, he really only has her there as a means to the end.

In regards to Gendry, I'm almost certain that Stannis does not order Melisandre to burn him in the books (it is actually a different b*stard of Robert that they capture, not Gendry, but the characters were combined for the show). I may be remembering wrong, but I think he is still weighing his options (and it is a HUGE moral struggle for him, we get to see his thoughts and dig deeper into the morality). Davos frees the b*stard before Stannis ever orders his death. And I'm pretty sure that Stannis never orders the execution of Davos in the books either.

All around, the portrayal of Stannis on the show has been a bit more dark and evil while in the books he is a man just trying to do his duty as rightful king. He is quite funny as well, although the humor is very dry. I believe the intent of altering his character into more of an antagonist is to not confuse the general audience of who the protagonist is (Dany). Lets be reality....the average viewer is incredibly stupid and does not want to deal with conflicting emotions. There is a reason why The Wire was never a popular show. The hardcore viewers who love to be challenged do not pay the bills.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
This is another stain on his character along with the okie doke on Renly

But understand the moral dilemma here

"What is one boy vs. an entire kingdom".....according to Melisandre, the burning of Gendry would literally bring an end to the war and put Stannis on the throne. Power in a king's blood. If Gendry was just some random teenager (adult in their world) then I would burn him no question. The problem becomes that he is Robert's blood, which makes him Stannis' blood too. Killing kin is one of the most unforgiveable sins in their entire world. But Gendry is a b*stard, does he really even count as kin? Major grey area all around.

Also, take into account that Stannis appointed a low born smuggler (Davos) as his right hand man and his future hand of king. This goes well beyond what is considered unacceptable in terms of royal behavior, but Stannis knew that Davos was the right man for the job so he did it anyway. And it was Davos that saved Gendry. Stannis put Davos there to protect him from himself. Sure, Stannis made the wrong decision by giving Gendry to Mel, but he made the right decision before that to stop the outcome from happening.

And in the end, Stannis is still the king by every law known to man.:yeshrug:
1zdpysi.jpg
Stannis is no different than any of the major players in the game. He hides behind honor and justice but will do anything to get what he wants.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
every time i see the title for this thread I think about how the north forgot about the Rains of Castamare.

And the Rains weep for his hall and not a soul to hear

Sounds familiar Starks. :lolbron:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
except the remaining starks will have their vengeance

:dead:
Sansa is hostage with the Lannisters
Bran and Rickon are not even thinking about rasing an army and John snow is up to his elbows in wildlings.
And Arya aint doing shyt.
And now the Starks weep for there hall with no one left to hear.