Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Other people already have, that's what makes it so ridiculous. Better than "LOTR"? :mjlol:

And for the record I'd take "GoT" over "LOTR" any day of the week, but battle-wise? It's no contest. This shyt was impressive....very impressive on a TV budget. But it's a TV budget version of any of the battles from that trilogy.

This is The Booth equivalent of calling an album classic literally 10 minutes after the first time it's heard. Even the complaint of "well I prefer this, because you knew LOTR characters wasn't gonna die" doesn't make any sense. Both of these are based on books, you could know who was gonna die or not years in advance for both.

Fred.

What battle in LOTR was better than this one? Because, IMO, Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, while awesome battles, don't carry the same weight.

In this episode, we were familiar with characters on both sides of the conflict, the violence was gorier than anything allowed in LOTR, and the one-on-one conflicts were better (the only one that stands out to me in LOTR is Aragorn vs Lurtz). Just because it had a bigger budget and more CGI doesn't make it a better battle. Rush Hour 3 had a bigger budget than The Raid, but which one had better martial arts scenes? :usure:

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Man Grenn's death actually has me a little :to: brehs. Dude was a real G. No fear, took the whole battle in stride. Lies to Janos and sends him downstairs, once realizing what a bytchass p*ssy he is - so that Jon can take command and run shop up top. Then takes order from Jon to hold the gate, and with a smile to boot. Even gave Jon the "I got this :jawalrus:" and grabs the 5 guys without hesitation. Successfully holds the gate against that Giant coming full Usain Bolt at them. :salute: to Grenn. I gotta give him that 6th man award. :rip: homie.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
What battle in LOTR was better than this one? Because, IMO, Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, while awesome battles, don't carry the same weight.

In this episode, we were familiar with characters on both sides of the conflict, the violence was gorier than anything allowed in LOTR, and the one-on-one conflicts were better (the only one that stands out to me in LOTR is Aragorn vs Lurtz). Just because it had a bigger budget and more CGI doesn't make it a better battle. Rush Hour 3 had a bigger budget than The Raid, but which one had better martial arts scenes? :usure:

I'm not talking about weight. Which is meaningless really because the outcome for both battles was determined in books years before either was filmed. I mean CGI, fight choreography....just the sheer spectacle of it. If you felt more emotionally connected to Jon Snow or Ygritte or whoever :yeshrug: I guess we have nothing more to discuss because we're not on the same page.

Regardless, like I said, let's revisit this a year....or hell, even a month from now. On the internet everything is the GOAT when it happens.

Fred.

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man Grenn's death actually has me a little :to: brehs. Dude was a real G. No fear, took the whole battle in stride. Lies to Janos and sends him downstairs, once realizing what a bytchass p*ssy he is - so that Jon can take command and run shop up top. Then takes order from Jon to hold the gate, and with a smile to boot. Even gave Jon the "I got this :jawalrus:" and grabs the 5 guys without hesitation. Successfully holds the gate against that Giant coming full Usain Bolt at them. :salute: to Grenn. I gotta give him that 6th man award. :rip: homie.

thought that was bullshyt myself but eh

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
In regards to the quality of this battle vs. the quality of LOTR or other major movie battles.....

When you build up a battle for nearly 40 hours, there is an emotional investment that has a big payoff. And this particular episode kept the action very personal. It was a blend of technical filmmaking prowess, real world style choreography, and characters you can care about. This is what will put it over the edge in some peoples mind vs. much more epic and visually stunning battles from blockbuster movies

Saying "its all personal preference" is the cowards way out of an argument, but in this case there isn't much else that can be said. It comes down to a person's preference in the type of action they enjoy. This was a very personal-feeling battle, I did not feel detached from it despite the giants and mammoths and 700 ft ice wall.

On a side note, Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) needs to be absolutely commended for his ability to bring a swordfight to life on screen. His speed and fluidity bring an element of realism to the combat that is inherently missing in big screen sword fights. He hacks and slashes with power and doesn't waste movements, and he looks natural doing it.

Compare this with a more flashy TV swordsman like Syrio Forel (@T-K-G ):skip:and you will see how Syrio's style is cool but not rooted in reality

EDIT: And while I'm busy giving praise, gotta give props to the dude that played Styr of Thenn because his axe fighting was viscious and believable as well. I had him ready to slot onto my top 10 warriors list until Jon hit him with the Karl Tanner spit then Hammer Time

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Compare this with a more flashy TV swordsman like Syrio Forel (@T-K-G ):skip:and you will see how Syrio's style is cool but not rooted in reality
you got a problem wit syrio then you got a problem with his prodigy arya stark :stopitslime:

:ufdup: see how that works whoadey, ya done fukked up now :ufdup:

all them hack n slash nikkas gon end up gettin the same treatment
tumblr_n5swlgDVD71qcxdguo6_250.gif

and you can get it too if you hype me up and make me catch a body like that :dontdothis:

Daps
Reppin
thetown to global

true display of loyalty :salute:

seeing Ghost catch a body was dope too

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
In regards to the quality of this battle vs. the quality of LOTR or other major movie battles.....

When you build up a battle for nearly 40 hours, there is an emotional investment that has a big payoff. And this particular episode kept the action very personal. It was a blend of technical filmmaking prowess, real world style choreography, and characters you can care about. This is what will put it over the edge in some peoples mind vs. much more epic and visually stunning battles from blockbuster movies

Saying "its all personal preference" is the cowards way out of an argument, but in this case there isn't much else that can be said. It comes down to a person's preference in the type of action they enjoy. This was a very personal-feeling battle, I did not feel detached from it despite the giants and mammoths and 700 ft ice wall.

On a side note, Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) needs to be absolutely commended for his ability to bring a swordfight to life on screen. His speed and fluidity bring an element of realism to the combat that is inherently missing in big screen sword fights. He hacks and slashes with power and doesn't waste movements, and he looks natural doing it.

EDIT: And while I'm busy giving praise, gotta give props to the dude that played Styr of Thenn because his axe fighting was viscious and believable as well. I had him ready to slot onto my top 10 warriors list until Jon hit him with the Karl Tanner spit then Hammer Time
inside the episode had the director thinking the special effects guys sped up the film for Jon

came to them like "what the fukk is this... why y'all speed him up... take that out of there"

they looked back like "fam... we didn't even start editing yet"

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I don't understand all the tears for this broad :what: she tried to kill Snow once and she was about to do it again. I think I was the only one hoping he would put a hammer in her skull too. Crazy bytch tryin to kill me and my brothers I ain't feelin nothin for her.

Great episode though, I'm positive I had the :lupe: reaction the whole time
nah breh if you remember one of the wildings was snappin on her cuz she purposely didn't kill Jon with those arrows the first time, you notice every other time she had a bow in her hands she was surgical with that shyt? :merchant:

Jon was in love wit that fire snatch and she fell in love wit that outside d

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
that's why I had no sympathy and that's why I love this show. every time you want to sympathize with a certain character you smarten up and realize the dirt in their past. only snow and arya are 100% pure.
bran and rickon aint did no dirt bwoi :ufdup:

unless running up on/potentially exposing some nasty ass brother/sister sex is a crime to you
29xg9js.jpg