OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They rushed the seasons because they were ready to do other projects, Star Wars or not, they rushed the seasons to an end when HBO could’ve easily let them walk and gotten passionate runners who would give HBO the 10 seasons they actually wanted

That goes against the entire ethos of HBO. They’re always going to trust their writers/showrunners, sometimes to a fault. Sometimes that gets you a Deadwood, sometimes it gets you a John From Cincinnati.

:yeshrug:

Personally I prefer it that way. Much rather that than normalizing the idea of an executive dictating stories. I’d rather HBO not become Disney.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
That goes against the entire ethos of HBO. They’re always going to trust their writers/showrunners, sometimes to a fault. Sometimes that gets you a Deadwood, sometimes it gets you a John From Cincinnati.

Personally I prefer it that way. Much rather that than normalizing the idea of an executive dictating stories. I’d rather HBO not become Disney.

While this is a fair point I think it's also worth noting they got conned. I understand D&D wanted to move on, and I have no issue with the total season count. But the way they reduced the episode counts and rushed to the ending is unacceptable. You're right, HBO getting rid of them would have been a bad move. But there's a middle ground. Namely, writing a bigger check and demanding the last two seasons have 10 episodes. The show could have had the same wack story beats...but with an addition seven episodes (ie 3 more for S7, 4 more for S8) they could have at least set the table better.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

How is an executive dictating the story by hiring new show runners? It’s clear as all day, even before the finished product, 13 episodes wouldn’t be enough to wrap this shyt up. HBO should’ve made the audible, yet they fumbled by letting these guys pull a rush job to move on to other things

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm done with school for the summer so I'm finally watching GOT from the beginning (I've seen enough clips and spoilers to know the overall plot but I've never actually watched it straight through).

I'm only on the second episode and this kid Geoffrey is :hhh:

Last edited:

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
If D&D wanted to move on so badly then why not hand the series to someone else? A passing of the baton?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
St

Star Wars had nothing to do with Game of Thrones ending. It’s crazy how so many people keep repeating this despite it being absolutely not true.

They’ve always said the plan was 7 or 8 seasons. And the final 2 seasons were officially announced and ordered more than a year and a half before they signed on to do Star Wars.

The Disney/Star Wars deal was officially announced February 2018....when they were in the middle of making season 8. Which means they probably knew about it long before production on season 8 began.

So it definitely impacted the last season. Not to mention they turned down a season 9 offer, due to the Disney deal.

While this is a fair point I think it's also worth noting they got conned. I understand D&D wanted to move on, and I have no issue with the total season count. But the way they reduced the episode counts and rushed to the ending is unacceptable. You're right, HBO getting rid of them would have been a bad move. But there's a middle ground. Namely, writing a bigger check and demanding the last two seasons have 10 episodes. The show could have had the same wack story beats...but with an addition seven episodes (ie 3 more for S7, 4 more for S8) they could have at least set the table better.

HBO offered Benioff & Weiss a basically unlimited budget and as many episodes as they wanted. B&W refused.

Fred.

SnugglesDaBear

Superstar
Daps
It's been one year brehs. But It feels like a lifetime ago.

I don't know about you guys, but this show was a huge escape from the stresses of life.

As badly as it ended, I do miss the discussions, theories, debates around this show.

I don't think a tv show will ever capture the world's attention to this level in our lifetimes.

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
Fun note while rewatching - Danerys went out just like Viscerys - jealous of another, more beloved than themselves.

I don't like the way it was all done but I appreciate the time and effort taken to recall things.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
If D&D wanted to move on so badly then why not hand the series to someone else? A passing of the baton?
Cause people are dikkheads who think they know everything. You can see in those post show eps that they were thinking they was really doing something special in those last two seasons... The special editions after release, about the last days... The readings and Jon crying when he read he kills Danny...

All that bullshyt... They though they was Jordan, game 6... They ended up like Karl Malone..

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
They should reshoot the last two seasons per GRRM direction. shyt would still do numbers and would be like Brotherhood was to Full Metal Alchemist.

That's never gonna happen man. They already cancelled all the spin offs except one. HBO knows they fukked up. I doubt they'd ever want to revisit it.

Fred.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
That's never gonna happen man. They already cancelled all the spin offs except one. HBO knows they fukked up. I doubt they'd ever want to revisit it.

Fred.
I hear everything you saying. But it would still numbers. GoT quality was dropping like a rock and it was still doing numbers. A more authentic story to finish out the last two seasons would work. I hate the last 2 seasons. I wont even watch them over...and I would still watch the redo. We all would. Let it be a lead-in to the Targ series or something. They could even change the name to let people know its more true to root story. Call it the actual book title "Song of Ice and Fire"

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I hear everything you saying. But it would still numbers. GoT quality was dropping like a rock and it was still doing numbers. A more authentic story to finish out the last two seasons would work. I hate the last 2 seasons. I wont even watch them over...and I would still watch the redo. We all would. Let it be a lead-in to the Targ series or something. They could even change the name to let people know its more true to root story. Call it the actual book title "Song of Ice and Fire"

It would 100% do numbers and there was actually a petition for this very thing.

But I'm saying HBO would never go for it because they already cancelled all the spin offs except one. If their primary objective was capitalizing on the popularity of "GOT" (which is what a remake of the last 2 seasons would do) then there's no reason to do that.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All the spinoffs except one are not cancelled. There are 2 other spinoffs still in active development. One has been created by Brian Hegeland (LA CONFIDENTIAL writer)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
All the spinoffs except one are not cancelled. There are 2 other spinoffs still in active development. One has been created by Brian Hegeland (LA CONFIDENTIAL writer)

There was originally 5, they cancelled 4. In addition to "House Of The Dragon" one is (their words) in contention as of 2-3 weeks ago.

That doesn't mean "active development".

Fred.