OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
Read the IGN reviews and they gave a 7/10(same IGN that gave the WOAT episodes from 8 to 9.5:mjlol:)..read the reviews and lord and behold folks on there

full

Many people enjoyed it including me, I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations but not sure what you wanted. I thought they did a good job at wrapping things up

To those who didn’t enjoy it, I’m sorry, but I am glad I am not one of you.

Now everyone can stop complaining he didn't pet his wolf.

It was such a nitpick that it was getting annoying.

:pacspit:

It was the best ending that could've happened in a story that had turned into a shipwreck. Once I let go of all expectations, I actually found the ending satisfying.
While I didn't particularly liked where they took the story in this final season, I'm still grateful to HBO and the showrunners for the show over the years.
I take it for what it is, fukk ups and all.

once i let go of all expectations"

and that was the problem for everyone that is saying that this season was "bad"

You came into to the season with fan theories and predictions. Once those were not followed instead of just opening your mind on the matter. It was closed off and rejected anything that was put forth. Some people had the audacity to make a petition.

I thought the season was going to end differently. However I was perfectly find by how it ended. I wasn't expecting it but it was a pleasantly surprise.

People can have an opinion and I know folks just like to watch show and that's that, but don't put people who didn't like it down, this just like the Last Jedi debacle, some of these folks can't explain why they liked it. :pachaha:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I recommended this show to so many people back in 2012... :mjcry:

I feel like apologizing to all of them now :wow:
season 8 is ass for sure, but them earlier seasons still crack. i'm being reminded of that now as my bro keeps texting me as he's just now binging the show...he just got to the red wedding :mjgrin: and he's #starkset :blessed:

i'mma let this shyt breathe, i absolutely can't fukk with the rush job at the end, but i'd still tell people to watch GOT if they haven't, no denying the ride they took us on for 6 seasons

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Its kinda annoying because I got so used to the idea of Jon being the future King but, there's alot of foreshadowing and parallels there. Bran is like the Northern/Stark version of Aegon the V. Aegon wasn't expected to be King, like Bran wasn't expected to be Lord. Let alone King of the entire country.

Aegon V dreamed of becoming a Knight. Bran dreamed of becoming a Knight. If you include Jon in the Stark family, Bran is the fifth oldest kid. Aegon was the fifth oldest kid too.

As a kid Aegon V spent his time traveling around Westeros with Duncan the Tall. Bran spent his youth traveling around the North with Jojen, Meera, and Hodor....Hodor being the descendant of you guessed it....Ser Duncan the Tall. Im sure that's all done on purpose.

And then Jon went to the Wall, where he met Aemon Targaryen, who was Aegon V's older brother. The older brother who turned down the throne so Aegon V could have it. Aemon tells Jon years ago that "love is the death of duty". At the time we thought Aemon was speaking about how hard it was for him to stay at the wall and do nothing as Aerys went crazy, Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and the entire Targaryen family was destroyed. But it ended up applying to Jon later on with Ygritte (loving her vs. Night's Watch), with Daenerys (loving her vs. protecting Westeros), with Ned and his mom (protecting Jon/Lyanna's secret vs. his honor and his loyalty to King Robert), which shows there was alot of parallels between Jon and Aemon. Jon "giving up" his throne and birthright after killing Dany and being exiled to the Wall opens up the way for the younger sibling to become King, much like Aemon and Aegon. There's even the parallel that Aemon NEVER wanted to become King, like Jon NEVER wanted to become King. It was a burden they both didn't want but, the schemers and king makers of Aemon's time who wanted to rule through him would not allow him to live his life away from the Iron Throne, just like people wouldn't allow Jon. Which was why Aemon took the Black and went to the Watch. So, the whole time Jon was "Aemon" and Bran was "Aegon" or at least that's what I think :yeshrug:
Great parallels you've pointed out. Never thought about it that way. Only difference is...Egg wasn't a 3 eyed Crow or a skin changer, so I'd expect Bran's arc to be more like Egg's uncle Bryden...who was the Hand of the King...not King...eventually joined the Night's Watch and became Lord Commander...then merged with the Weirwoods north of the wall to wait for the next 3 eyed Crow. Egg was also a Targaryen, so by right he had a claim on the throne once Aemon declined. Bran has no reasonable claim, since Jon declined. Gendry has more of a claim than Bran. So I like the parallels, but there are things that the show should've worked out to make it more in line with the overall ASOIAF story.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Great parallels you've pointed out. Never thought about it that way. Only difference is...Egg wasn't a 3 eyed Crow or a skin changer, so I'd expect Bran's arc to be more like Egg's uncle Bryden...who was the Hand of the King...not King...eventually joined the Night's Watch and became Lord Commander...then merged with the Weirwoods north of the wall to wait for the next 3 eyed Crow. Egg was also a Targaryen, so by right he had a claim on the throne once Aemon declined. Bran has no reasonable claim, since Jon declined. Gendry has more of a claim than Bran. So I like the parallels, but there are things that the show should've worked out to make it more in line with the overall ASOIAF story.

I disagree. I believe Bran IS Bryden.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
It wouldn’t have mattered. At this point, they’ve decided that the throne wouldn’t be ruled by families. Instead they would elect a ruler to represent the people. I always predicted that the show would end with the throne being destroyed and Westeros would have no ruler. The ending with Bran is a safe happy medium. I’m not thrilled about it but it is what it is.
But the entire continent of Westeros is ruled by Starks now :bryan:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
There is a red priestess in Essos that became familiar with Dany I can't remember exactly where she went she was in earlier seasons.
If youre into fan theories thats actually a 250 year old Red Priestess that is rumored to be only one to successfully sail across the ocean West to East (Arya arc dead already :bryan: ) and became a Red Priest in Asshai upon arrival to survive

Who was she rumored to be before?

The lady who stole 3 eggs from Dragonstone to fund her trip. She sold these 3 eggs to someone in Braavos

250 years ago

The Targs thought the eggs would turn to stone because they werent near the heat of Dragonstone.

Who gave Dany her eggs? A guy from Braavos. Said they were 3 eggs turned to stone, as a present.

Thats why the Red Priestess she met was so interested in seeing the dragons in Essos because it was the 3 eggs she stole 250 years ago to fund her trip from Westeros to Essos. She even discovered and named 3 islands after Targ Set

I was way too invested in this show to even know this :damn: fukk D&D :damn:

FUPA

#LWO
Daps
Reppin
Lakers, Dodgers
29xg9js.jpg
Bran the Broken? More like Bran the Finesse God. I've heard of playing the long game but this was excessive. nikka time traveled to create his own retarded man servant/door stop. He gets to Winterfell and just chills in the cut. Then he's like "Just so y'all know, the Night King is after me and he always knows exactly where I am. Y'all might want to get ready"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"Oh yeah Sam, Jon's real name is Aegon Targaryen and he's the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. Just putting that out there incase you want to tell him at a critical juncture"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"Oh, the army of the dead is almost here? Imma just post up by the weirwood. Y'all know I got your back with my brolic warg powers, right?"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"They're gone right, Theon? Imma just warg into Lamar Jackson and the rest of the squad. That bum ass Flacco got traded."
2gtn1x0.jpg

"Oh, the Night King's pulling up? It's been real Theon. You a trill ass nikka for real"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"Yo Jon, it's your choice whether you want to tell Arya and Sansa...but you did bring us all this way after all, and it's cold outchea"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"I see this girl Dany done lost her damn mind. I didn't see that coming. I wonder what will happen as a result"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"Oh, Sansa got a raven asking her to come to King's Landing? Arya and I should come too to display a united front and provide support"
2gtn1x0.jpg

"Oh, you want me to be the new king? I thought you'd never ask":mjlit:
King's Landing finna be renovated to be more wheelchair accessible now. Bran's gonna triple the number of handicapped carriage parking spots. My dude finna have Bronn divert coin to a fund for his new pimped out wheelchair. Same color Lupita Nyong'o with the Miley Cyrus guts. 22 inch chromed out Pirelli's with the spinners. Bran straight breaking necks when he comes through in the miracle whip:wow:The best part of all of this? Y'all #Starkset nikkas don't get to claim him. Sansa just seceded y'all out the 7 Kingdoms:umad:I liked her better when Ramsay da gawd was clapping her lemon cakes. I already know y'all nikkas finna claim #Targset took an L tonight. We did:manny:But you know who took the bigger L? Westeros. Y'all never deserved Dany. Y'all and your off brand continent can enjoy being ruled by Tyrion's dumbass. If you think Bran's finna put in work ruling, you're bugging. Dude's gonna be too busy looking for ramps to do GTA stunts on when he's not too busy warging into the customers at the brothels Bronn's gonna build. He's gotta get a nut somehow:yeshrug:I don't blame Grey Worm for taking the Unsullied and Dothraki and getting the fukk up outta there. You already know these cacs finna fukk up. Sam's gonna get his way and there'll be open elections. fukk around and have Bran replaced by Donald Trump the Burger King. I'm sure the wall get repaired expeditiously once he's in office:francis:But there's still one Targaryen left in Westeros and he's living his best life. Bran clearly had my boy Aegon fukked up. He said his watch is ended, breh:gucci:He meant what he said. My man done indulged in too much royal box the last couple seasons to go back to that life. Tormund da gawd was waiting with the whole squad, Ghost, and a bottle of D'Usse. It's lit. My dude is gonna drown in that wildling p*ssy. More power to him. He'll stay his ass up there if he's smart cause God forgives, Drogon doesn't. Big homie is just biding his time, letting these nikkas get comfortable and build new brothels until he comes through to reintroduce himself. This one is for his mama
i2ow9u.jpg
There was one huge silver lining to this episode. Anyone that knows me knows I have horrible luck stanning characters. First they killed my dude Finn da gawd in Homeland:mjcry:Then sent my mans Todd da gawd to Belize in Breaking Bad:mjcry:I tried to stan a character in Barry last season and he got clapped the next episode:mjcry:The old gods finally spared me, brehs:blessed:Ser Podrick of House Payne, Squire turnt Sanga, Untier of Meereenese Knots, Tripod, Possessor of Crisp Hairlines made it. And my dude is on the Kingsgaurd. Arthur Dayne who? Pod's finna hit the brothels and show them hoes the real Sword of the Morning:shaq:

#PodSet stand up!
2n6sx1y.jpg

How did i miss this? :mindblown: Rep pending once im cleared to rep you again. Another show with @obarth the god of reviews down. Smh what show you onto next breh?

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
HBO boss shytting on the fans... smh

looks like everybody's offical response is "Angry nerds mad because their theories weren't right"... except even the most casual fan knows the seasonw as trash

lol @ no Arya spinoff... i guess they trying to play hardball in negotiations right now

HBO Boss On ‘Game Of Thrones’ Finale Backlash, Sequel Status, Spinoff Chances – Deadline

HBO Boss On ‘Game Of Thrones’ Finale Backlash, Coffee Cup Gate, Prequels Status And Why Spinoffs Aren’t In The Cards
game-of-thrones-series-finale-dragon-pic.jpg

HBO

HBO just wrapped its epic series Game of Thrones on Sunday with a finale that broke the premium network’s ratings records and divided fans over how the eighth and final season played out. With discussion about Sunday’s capper far from slowing, we talked with HBO programming president Casey Bloys about the polarizing finale and alternate endings for the show created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the possibility of overall deals for them and J.J. Abrams, the coffee cup that became a pop culture phenom, the status of GoT‘s prospective prequels, and why it’s likely not even Arya Stark can make a spinoff happen right now.

DEADLINE: Were you surprised by fans’ reaction to the finale?

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen and Kit Harington as Jon Snow HBO
BLOYS: No. To tell you the truth, for a show this big and this sprawling and for a show that has this passionate a fan base, I don’t think there is any way that all fans would’ve been happy. I think based on online reaction, which you do have to take with a grain of salt, it does seem split and I think that’s about right — some people are going to love it, some people are going to hate it. But the point is, everybody is feeling really passionate about it.

Related Story

'Game Of Thrones' Series Finale Sees A True Song Of Fire & Ice Burn To A Cunning End

I think everybody had hopes for where the characters might go or should go. But Dan and David have had a plan for how they wanted the show to go for a long time, and they did it the way they thought fit as creators. I think they did a spectacular job. They landed a big plane, which was not easy. You are never going to keep everybody happy, but I don’t think that’s what they were trying to do.

DEADLINE: You made comments in 2017 that Game of Thrones would film multiple endings to protect the finale. Did you shoot multiple endings?

BLOYS: No. I think that was something at an appearance, and I said it something like anecdotally, and it caught on. I don’t think they actually shot multiple endings. But putting that in the water supply wasn’t a bad thing to protect against leaks. They always had a little bit of edge of doubt because you couldn’t be totally sure.

DEADLINE: How did you protect the ending from leaking in a big way?

BLOYS: I think there was somebody who was posting. … You could’ve found it if you wanted to but most people want to experience and go on a ride — I think it’s a testament to the show. By the last season we had so many security measures in place for how the show was distributed internationally, many safeguards. Even with that, because you are dealing with humans, there always is going to be the potential that someone leaks or tells somebody or does something so you can’t safe guard 100%. Ultimately, there was speculation about the ending — some of it correct as it turns out — but most people wanted to experience it as fans.

DEADLINE: Did you discuss any other alternate endings with Dan and David?

BLOYS: No. They are very smart, very bright, very methodical. They’ve had this in their heads for a long time. So there weren’t big debates about, should it end this way or not end this way, this is what they had planned.

HBO
DEADLINE: Did you get money from Starbucks after the coffee cup incident?

BLOYS: No. (laughs).

DEADLINE: What do you think about fans’ fascination with the cup and the water bottle in the finale?

BLOYS: The fascination with that, the divisive reaction to the finale, all of it is a testament to how much people were invested and engaged with the show. Some people have very strong negative options and obviously some have positive opinions. But I take all of this as a really great sign of what the show has been able to do to stay in the cultural conversation to have people passionately debate the characters and the storylines. That’s what you want a show to do.

DEADLINE: Has the big turnout for the final season and fans’ passion for the show’s end game changed the timeline for the prequel pilot?

BLOYS: I think this is the last thing you want to do with any show — prequel or not — you try not to rush it. So the last thing I want to do is put that sort of pressure on the prequel because George [R.R. Martin] has created this massive universe. It is within that universe, but Jane [Goldman] has created a different show — it’s not the same show, it’s not the same characters, it’s not the same time frame, it’s not the same dynamic. It’s a tough line to walk, but you want to do a show that is of that world but not a replica.

I think [Goldman] has done a great job on the script and SJ Clarkson, the director, is prepping an amazing pilot. We are going to do that pilot and take our time and do it right. Hopefully, I expect we will love it and we will move forward, but I don’t want anything that happened with this final season to dictate anything that is happening in that process.

Bloys David Buchan/Shutterstock
DEADLINE: If everything with the pilot goes smoothly, could the prequel series premiere next year?

BLOYS: I don’t know. I have to get a sense from production when we see scripts for a season, how big and involved it is. Shooting a pilot in June and having it on the air a year later feels a little rushed, but it’s too soon to tell.

DEADLINE: Author George R.R. Martin recently said that three of the Game of Thrones offshoots, including the prequel pilot, are moving “nicely” at HBO. Can you tell us which the other two are?

BLOYS: Here is what I will tell you. I wanted to get through the final season and let that stand as a cultural moment. We have the pilot starting in June and then we will decide whether to want to do another one or not. I’m letting those things happen before we decide whether to do another one or not.

DEADLINE: Could there be more than one beyond the prequel starring Naomi Watts?

BLOYS: I doubt it, I don’t think so. I certainly do not want to overdo it. We have so many varied shows coming up in 2019 and ’20 and even into ’21. I think Game of Thrones is a fantastic property but I don’t want to just be the home of prequels and sequels and all that stuff. I think you want to be really careful about how you do it. That’s why we’ve been working on the Jane pilot for a long time, because we want to do it right. I think the last thing fans would want is something that was rushed out just to make it to air.

DEADLINE: Any update on the pilot?

BLOYS: The casting was completed a couple of weeks ago. They are busy in Belfast prepping and getting ready to start shooting in a couple of weeks.

DEADLINE: I know you’d ruled out direct spinoffs from Game of Thrones in the past but there is a groundswell among fans for one with Arya Stark. Any chance you can revisit the no-spinoffs policy?

BLOYS: I understand where that comes from, I totally get it. But in terms of wanting to be careful not overdoing it or not killing the goose that lays the golden egg, Dan and David’s show as it stands in eight seasons, I want to leave it as it’s own work of art and not have shows directly, having Arya do that. I think it’s best to try the prequels in other areas of George’s massive universe — just feels like the right thing to do, let the show stand on its own.

van Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
DEADLINE: Speaking of Dan and David, what are the odds of them staying in the fold with an overall deal?

BLOYS: I think you had an accurate story about them meeting around town, which I think, given their success and status, is the right thing to do because it’s such a great marketplace for creators. Obviously we have a strong relationship with them, they have a strong relationship with Warner Bros as well. So we would love to stay in business with them, but they are going through the process and we will see how that all goes.

DEADLINE: What about their Confederate HBO drama. Can we assume that’s no longer on the front burner?

BLOYS: Not on the front burner, yes.

DEADLINE: Another creator you are in business with, JJ Abrams, also is shopping an overall deal that WarnerMedia is in pursuit of. Any update on that?

BLOYS: I don’t have any updates on his larger Warner deal but he has got his project with us, the first thing he has written in a long time. We have Lovecraft with him and obviously Westworld. We at HBO are in the JJ business and really love working with him.

DEADLINE: Speaking of Westworld, the trailer you just released looks very different. Is the show going for a reboot in Season 3?

BLOYS: Not so much of a reboot. At the end of the season, Dolores was going off. So it was a little bit of a tease to see what the world might look like. All I will say is, it still has robots in it but it’s not so much a reboot as it is following the characters.

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
DEADLINE: HBO recently picked up Julian Fellowes’ lavish period drama The Gilded Age, which had been set up at NBC through Universal TV. How did that come about? Will accommodating such a big-budget series lead to you holding back one of your shows?

Courtesy of HBO
BLOYS: I met with Julian before the holidays, this was before Bob [Greenblatt] came. I got the impression there was some hesitation at NBC about the budget level it required to do a show like that; for a broadcast network the economics are a little bit different. We had the meeting, nothing came out of it because they were still trying to figure out a deal. Then NBCUniversal took it out to market — it made more sense for them to do it elsewhere — and we jumped in. It’s such a massive show so it’s going to take some time to get it up and running and cast and shoot. It was far enough out that it made sense for our schedule and it also might compliment it. When you have got big sci-fi shows, it’s nice I think to have a big period piece like that, so that you have a nice mix of shows, it felt like a nice addition to our canvas.

DEADLINE: Back to Game of Thrones. You aired a promo before the finale reminding viewers of the other shows you have on so they stick around. Do you expect subscriber dip after the end of GoT?

BLOYS: Historically what we have seen is, before any kind of tentpole show like Game of Thrones, True Detective, Westworld — obviously Game of Thrones is the biggest — there is usually an uptick of subscriptions for the show and then down afterwards. Usually what we are expecting is a net gain. So there are absolutely people who watched HBO for Game of Thrones, but historically, we usually end up with a net gain, and that’s what I expect in this case as well.

DEADLINE: In conclusion, what has the experience of doing Game of Thrones taught you?

BLOYS: We are proud to have been the home for it, it’s been a great show for us, we are proud to have been in business with Dan and David. Someone was telling me that, maybe it was after Season 1, there was a headline saying, ‘Ratings Show Game Of Thrones Is No Boardwalk Empire.’ It’s just a good reminder for everybody that you don’t know where the next Game of Thrones, the next water-cooler show is going to come from. It’s probably not what you’d expect. So the best thing you can do is get in business with people you believe in and support them, take shots and see how it goes.

Game of Thrones, the juggernaut that it is today is just a good reminder that it doesn’t start that way. When it came out, a lot of people questioned, ‘Oh, a fantasy epic at HBO, does that make sense, I’m not sure that feels like HBO.’ You have to continually evolve and push expectation, but keep in mind that everything has to have an extremely high level of quality.