OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps

With the benefit of hindsight, scenes like this piss me off now. They’re foreshadowing Dany’s turn 7 or 8 years ago and they still gave us this rushed bullshyt. How could you rush something that you had knowledge of for close to a decade? The fact that these dudes didn’t have a plan in motion to properly develop her turn after all these years is unforgivable. You don’t need the source material if you have a staff full of writers and nothing but time on your hands.

Payday23

Superstar
Daps

With the benefit of hindsight, scenes like this piss me off now. They’re foreshadowing Dany’s turn 7 or 8 years ago and they still gave us this rushed bullshyt. How could you rush something that you had knowledge of for close to a decade? The fact that these dudes didn’t have a plan in motion to properly develop her turn after all these years is unforgivable. You don’t need the source material if you have a staff full of writers and nothing but time on your hands.

Exactly especially since it took them two years to finish.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I maybe late on this, but why didn’t Sam just say the truth about Jon and essentially let him free and reign?
It wouldn’t have mattered. At this point, they’ve decided that the throne wouldn’t be ruled by families. Instead they would elect a ruler to represent the people. I always predicted that the show would end with the throne being destroyed and Westeros would have no ruler. The ending with Bran is a safe happy medium. I’m not thrilled about it but it is what it is.

Sensitive Christian Grey

The Fisher King
Daps
Reppin
Welsh Hills
You know one of the worse things about the change into choosing their leaders is that the reason they do it is because they realise the overwhelming tragedy of infighting that comes with the pursuit of power. Problem is that one) you still have that in deciding who to pick, especially as decisions would be made in order to manipulate the new leader, and two) they can still have that realisation as the White Walkers come and wreck everything whilst they were distracted by the pursuit of power instead of creating and maintaining a united front, rather than have a pointless blue balling sub-plot :dead:

Edit: They've also had this election idea for two years at least evidenced by the vid

Still they couldn't see the flaws in the final piece enough for them to do several rewrites. Like the why the fukk does Brienne get a vote, gal is just a knight. It's not like they're even restrained by budget it's a council sitting around talking in a pit in Spain doing a bad LOTR impression. Any critical thinking and the shyt just disintegrates like a 800 year old book. Goddamnit I'll blow a blood vessel over how much they did not think about this shyt :hhh:

2546v3l6exz21.jpg

990jsjs9vyz21.png

Last edited:

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
I'm still pissed daenerys didn't get a scene in that end montage man :picard:. It would have given much more satisfaction.

imagine if after the jon snow wildings scene you got something like:
-the screen goes black
-then it shifts to drogon flying in old valyria
-he drops dany off in some cemetery for dragon riders where the dragons melt metal around their riders and turn into a sarcophagus
-wide shot to show 100s/1000s of other dead riders from the past.
-the camera stays on dany's face until it becomes moulded into the sarcophagus with Ramin unleashing the flutes.

something like this would have been amazing.

or they could have gave her the scene where she meets drogo and the son in the afterlife.

these modern hollywood cacs ain't shyt. The way they messed things up is exactly how the new "star wars" got messed up.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
As a kid Aegon V spent his time traveling around Westeros with Duncan the Tall. Bran spent his youth traveling around the North with Jojen, Meera, and Hodor....Hodor being the descendant of you guessed it....Ser Duncan the Tall. Im sure that's all done on purpose.

:ohhh:Well damn, thats right

I was thinking about another reason that Bran being king was so jarring on the show, and it goes back to D&D being plot driven writers while GRRM is not. The way GOT was presented, the show was ALL about the iron throne. Marketed everywhere on every poster and ad from the very beginning. Who will sit on the throne?...Who will win the throne?....so when an 'undeserving' person ends up on the throne you get a collective WTF from the fans

Meanwhile, in GRRM's mind, the throne is nothing more than a prop used to present greater themes and also to drive characters decisions and force them into internal conflicts.

GRRM is writing about Shireen being burned. He is writing about Dany torching the city. He is writing about Jon killing Dany. He is not writing about who sits on the throne. That is just the outcome of these conflicts of the human heart.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
It wouldn’t have mattered. At this point, they’ve decided that the throne wouldn’t be ruled by families. Instead they would elect a ruler to represent the people. I always predicted that the show would end with the throne being destroyed and Westeros would have no ruler. The ending with Bran is a safe happy medium. I’m not thrilled about it but it is what it is.

Less so to be the king, more so to free him and not banish him to the wall/wildings home

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Can't really agree with this as "The Sopranos" ended in 2007 and "The Wire" ended in 2008 and there was immediate discussions about where they ranked all-time.

People were never going to put an ABC show in the same conversation as cable prestige dramas . "Hannibal" faced the same up hill battle. I'm not even saying they should be in that discussion....but we're talking about so long ago the concept of a basic cable show like "The Shield" being high quality was still a relatively new concept.

Fred.

No they weren't. Because the hivemind thinking that goes on today, wasn't around like that for everyone to be tuned into Lost. Other shows weren't compared to Lost back then, and all of the discussions mainly went on at 4815162342.com. Now the finale was huge, because of what it became by the time social media blew up, but overall, it was always a cult show. The Lost finale was bad because they made the show about the island, and how/why the characters were involved, but for the finale, made it about the characters in an afterlife. It was good because it gave a happy/sappy ending to the characters, with them finding each other, but they abandoned the story completely. Which is fine, if they laid the foundation early on...but they waited to late to do that.

• Dap
Reactions: hex