OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
What were The Wire and Sopranos being ranked against?:skip:The Sopranos ushered in the golden age of TV and the prestige hour long drama. People weren't out here comparing Sopranos to The Twilight Zone or MASH and debating over all-time rankings. It was it's own thing. Yeah, Oz technically did it first, but everyone knows Sopranos made it a hot song. Even when shows like Rome or Deadwood ended people weren't rushing to figure out their place in history. It wasn't really until Breaking Bad and Mad Men ended that the Buzzfeed era of lists, and "GOAT" really became commonplace. Yeah, people had their preferences and debated about this show vs. that show, but it was nothing like it is now.

Hanniba( I just happen to be in the middle of rewatching this piff:wow:) definitely suffered from being on network television, but LOST was a cultural phenomenon when it was on. Just like 24 was must see TV. shyt, even a show like Heroes was respected for a little bit. I won't even get into the whole different lane of teen hour long dramas that were universally praised like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Network TV used to actually be worthwhile. You couldn't get me to watch a second of it nowadays, doe:scust:
you must've never opened a tv guide pre internet:skip:

ROLLTIDE4EVER

Rookie
Daps
ER, NYBD Blue, and X-Files would be my guess. TV changed so much since 2000, it's not even funny.

What were The Wire and Sopranos being ranked against?:skip:The Sopranos ushered in the golden age of TV and the prestige hour long drama. People weren't out here comparing Sopranos to The Twilight Zone or MASH and debating over all-time rankings. It was it's own thing. Yeah, Oz technically did it first, but everyone knows Sopranos made it a hot song. Even when shows like Rome or Deadwood ended people weren't rushing to figure out their place in history. It wasn't really until Breaking Bad and Mad Men ended that the Buzzfeed era of lists, and "GOAT" really became commonplace. Yeah, people had their preferences and debated about this show vs. that show, but it was nothing like it is now.

Hanniba( I just happen to be in the middle of rewatching this piff:wow:) definitely suffered from being on network television, but LOST was a cultural phenomenon when it was on. Just like 24 was must see TV. shyt, even a show like Heroes was respected for a little bit. I won't even get into the whole different lane of teen hour long dramas that were universally praised like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Network TV used to actually be worthwhile. You couldn't get me to watch a second of it nowadays, doe:scust:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't know if there are more stories to tell with her or not but why she gotta die? What would that have done to improve her arc? She's right where she said she wanted to be in Season 1.

If y'all disagree with me and y'all think Thrones is gonna fade off into oblivion that's cool I don't see it, it's by far the most popular show of the last 20 years. The lore is immersive.. They can make Westeros series for decades. :pachaha:
The backstory and lore is golden, I already know they have enough material to keep producing entertaining stories for years to come. I heard that the initial spin-offs are prequels, so that kind of means there's no "Arya the Adventurer" to the West story coming anytime soon, unless they flip the script and go that route.

I feel like she had the climax of the show and her character with the Night King kill. There was no going higher than that for her story arc IMO. I think her death would have made The Hound vs The Mountain fight more intense for the viewer than it was, if a scenario played out where Arya got killed by The Mountain as she tried to kill Cersei. It would have mattered more to everybody, instead it just felt like 2 side characters finally duking it out. Looked cool, but that was about it.

Think about it, Arya was pretty pointless for the rest of the story after she killed The Night King, she was only there for fan service at that point, and Game of Thrones never cared about that shyt in previous seasons. So I have to assume the only reason they didn't kill her is to keep the door open for a spin-off for her character.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks gonna realize that midget picked Bran b/c he could control him. Not necessarily a bad thing.
He didn't pick Bran, Bran picked Tyrion. Bran planned all this shyt.. He knew Dany was gonna burn kings landing since season 4.

As you can see in vision he sees the throne room after Daenerys burns kings landing, he also can see her dragon flying over kings landing.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I always picked up on Jojen calling him that, I just didn’t put any stock into it because the books have been way more focused on the real wars and political theatre than the fantasy/magic aspect, so I followed suit. I also never read that grrm said that Bran is the young King Arther, he tips his hand a lot. Regarding d&d, grrm will not say, but he has to be disappointed as well, I mean, he thought they had the vision and wherewithal until like season 3/4 where he started questioning whether they understood the story at all, and now I’m sure he wanted a do over

Its kinda annoying because I got so used to the idea of Jon being the future King but, there's alot of foreshadowing and parallels there. Bran is like the Northern/Stark version of Aegon the V. Aegon wasn't expected to be King, like Bran wasn't expected to be Lord. Let alone King of the entire country.

Aegon V dreamed of becoming a Knight. Bran dreamed of becoming a Knight. If you include Jon in the Stark family, Bran is the fifth oldest kid. Aegon was the fifth oldest kid too.

As a kid Aegon V spent his time traveling around Westeros with Duncan the Tall. Bran spent his youth traveling around the North with Jojen, Meera, and Hodor....Hodor being the descendant of you guessed it....Ser Duncan the Tall. Im sure that's all done on purpose.

And then Jon went to the Wall, where he met Aemon Targaryen, who was Aegon V's older brother. The older brother who turned down the throne so Aegon V could have it. Aemon tells Jon years ago that "love is the death of duty". At the time we thought Aemon was speaking about how hard it was for him to stay at the wall and do nothing as Aerys went crazy, Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and the entire Targaryen family was destroyed. But it ended up applying to Jon later on with Ygritte (loving her vs. Night's Watch), with Daenerys (loving her vs. protecting Westeros), with Ned and his mom (protecting Jon/Lyanna's secret vs. his honor and his loyalty to King Robert), which shows there was alot of parallels between Jon and Aemon. Jon "giving up" his throne and birthright after killing Dany and being exiled to the Wall opens up the way for the younger sibling to become King, much like Aemon and Aegon. There's even the parallel that Aemon NEVER wanted to become King, like Jon NEVER wanted to become King. It was a burden they both didn't want but, the schemers and king makers of Aemon's time who wanted to rule through him would not allow him to live his life away from the Iron Throne, just like people wouldn't allow Jon. Which was why Aemon took the Black and went to the Watch. So, the whole time Jon was "Aemon" and Bran was "Aegon" or at least that's what I think :yeshrug:

419scam

The Super Duper
Daps
I personally love the Seinfeld finale even though people shytted on it when it aired. Seinfeld is a good comparison to GOT actually. Larry David was GRRM and Seinfeld was D & D.

After Larry's departure, you could see the fall off in writing quality in the last two seasons of Seinfeld. Even with the fall off, it was still one of the best sitcoms on the air. It just wasn't the same as when Larry David was running the show.

Seinfeld never fell off, since the first episode of the 2nd season EVERY episode is a classic, goat sitcom/tv show

ROLLTIDE4EVER

Rookie
Daps
Seinfeld never fell off, since the first episode of the 2nd season EVERY episode is a classic, goat sitcom/tv show

Seinfeld def. ended in high quality but folks were still upset over the ending. The GOAT finale for me is "Family Meeting" from The Shield. That show pulled all the stops and was uncompromising.

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
fukk GRRM and them books if he has Bran on the iron throne as his ending too.

Makes no sense since Bran is the 3ER and lives forever. What reelection if 3ER lives forever?

I want to believe this is all on D&D shytty writing and diverging from the source material.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Its kinda annoying because I got so used to the idea of Jon being the future King but, there's alot of foreshadowing and parallels there. Bran is like the Northern/Stark version of Aegon the V. Aegon wasn't expected to be King, like Bran wasn't expected to be Lord. Let alone King of the entire country.

Aegon V dreamed of becoming a Knight. Bran dreamed of becoming a Knight. If you include Jon in the Stark family, Bran is the fifth oldest kid. Aegon was the fifth oldest kid too.

As a kid Aegon V spent his time traveling around Westeros with Duncan the Tall. Bran spent his youth traveling around the North with Jojen, Meera, and Hodor....Hodor being the descendant of you guessed it....Ser Duncan the Tall. Im sure that's all done on purpose.

And then Jon went to the Wall, where he met Aemon Targaryen, who was Aegon V's older brother. The older brother who turned down the throne so Aegon V could have it. Aemon tells Jon years ago that "love is the death of duty". At the time we thought Aemon was speaking about how hard it was for him to stay at the wall and do nothing as Aerys went crazy, Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and the entire Targaryen family was destroyed. But it ended up applying to Jon later on with Ygritte (loving her vs. Night's Watch), with Daenerys (loving her vs. protecting Westeros), with Ned and his mom (protecting Jon/Lyanna's secret vs. his honor and his loyalty to King Robert), which shows there was alot of parallels between Jon and Aemon. Jon "giving up" his throne and birthright after killing Dany and being exiled to the Wall opens up the way for the younger sibling to become King, much like Aemon and Aegon. There's even the parallel that Aemon NEVER wanted to become King, like Jon NEVER wanted to become King. It was a burden they both didn't want but, the schemers and king makers of Aemon's time who wanted to rule through him would not allow him to live his life away from the Iron Throne, just like people wouldn't allow Jon. Which was why Aemon took the Black and went to the Watch. So, the whole time Jon was "Aemon" and Bran was "Aegon" or at least that's what I think :yeshrug:
Great read, props.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

Makes no sense since Bran is the 3ER and lives forever. What reelection if 3ER lives forever?

I want to believe this is all on D&D shytty writing and diverging from the source material.

Well it's not. George confirmed that most of it gonna end like this on his blog. It will be more fleshed out obviously but pretty much same endings.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?

I was right there with you, logistically, how? But now, Bloodraven has to see it in his visions, so he is going to help Bran get back below the wall. That is going to be a great read. Cripples, b*stards, and broken things, that has been a central theme throughout the books, and I was too caught up in the minutiae to see how important it was for GRRM to make that statement