OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Just broken. Like me, he thought.

Bran,” he said sullenly. Bran the Broken. “Brandon Stark.” The cripple boy.

But who else would wed a broken boy like him?

And through the mist of centuries the broken boy could only watch.

"Bran’s suffering because of his maiming just as Winterfell itself is “broken” establishes an sympathetic link between king and kingdom."

Makes a lot of sense... shame this doesn't make the screen. We needed like 2 more seasons of this :jbhmm:

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
One thing that made me go :mindblown: Was that Jojen has called Bran "Your Grace" multiple times:wtf:. I mean, I don't know if those quote were taken out of context but if they weren't then you literally have Jojen telling us that Bran will be king:mindblown:

And I love the whole subtext of it all and it also helps explain why Jon won't be king after Dany dies.

I will give D&D a tiny break....this all seems like a very difficult thing to properly adapt to a TV medium. But only a TINY break, because they didn't even come close to portraying what GRRM is likely trying to convey

They reduced it all to "Bran the Broken has a good story and therefore makes a good king":dead:
I always picked up on Jojen calling him that, I just didn’t put any stock into it because the books have been way more focused on the real wars and political theatre than the fantasy/magic aspect, so I followed suit. I also never read that grrm said that Bran is the young King Arther, he tips his hand a lot. Regarding d&d, grrm will not say, but he has to be disappointed as well, I mean, he thought they had the vision and wherewithal until like season 3/4 where he started questioning whether they understood the story at all, and now I’m sure he wanted a do over

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I don't understand how reviewers spent the who season giving episodes 8,9, and 10's only to now say the season was trash.

ITS CALLED DENIAL.

IN THIS VERY THREAD
THERE WERE ONLY A FEW OF US shytTING ON THE EARLY EPISODES.....

A FEW DAYS AFTER EPISODE 3,
MORE PPL STARTED COMING AROUND
AND IT WAS A 60/40 SPLIT.

AFTER EPISODE 5, THERE WERE ONLY A HANDFUL OF SUPER STANS
STILL HOLDING ON.

NOW 98% OF THE THREAD AGREES THE SEASON WAS TRASH.
:devil:
:evil:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I personally love the Seinfeld finale even though people shytted on it when it aired. Seinfeld is a good comparison to GOT actually. Larry David was GRRM and Seinfeld was D & D.

After Larry's departure, you could see the fall off in writing quality in the last two seasons of Seinfeld. Even with the fall off, it was still one of the best sitcoms on the air. It just wasn't the same as when Larry David was running the show.

Last two seasons of Seinfeld got goofy but there was still come classic episodes in that run too. Just as D+D had classic episodes like "Battle of the b*stards" after the book material ran dry..

That's why I'm saying you give it a while and a lot of people are going to go from "RUINED" to "it's classic.. despite the finale". That's what happened with Sopranos.

If the Game of Thrones spin offs are good everyone gonna come running back too

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
What were The Wire and Sopranos being ranked against?:skip:The Sopranos ushered in the golden age of TV and the prestige hour long drama. People weren't out here comparing Sopranos to The Twilight Zone or MASH and debating over all-time rankings.

Gonna focus on this because I mostly agree with the rest of your post.

They were being ranked against everything that came out when they were on, and against everything before them. This was all within 1-3 years of "The Sopranos" finale airing:

https://nypost.com/2008/04/27/the-35-best-shows-on-tv-ever/
The Guardian's top 50 television dramas of all time
HuffPost is now a part of Oath
https://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/da...-wire-milchs-deadwood-or-chases-the-sopranos/

So yeah....people were definitely ranking things back then. It's not like it was 1992 or some shyt....the internet existed, forums existed, online media existed....all as we currently know it. There's just more of everything now.

And for the record when I say "people weren't going to put an ABC (or broadcast network) show in these conversations"....I don't mean myself. I've had "Angel" and "X-Files" in my top 5 all time, before.

Despite what people are feeling about the finale, this show will still rank way up there in the drama genre on all-time lists. Sopranos survived and now there are people still calling it the GOAT.

Happens in comedy too. Most shows have lackluster finales. Seinfeld, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, etc.

I don't really understand these comparisons. The problem ain't solely the finale. The entire final season was poorly received. From critics to fans. The reason people let "The Sopranos" slide is because only the finale was divisive. If "GOT" had 5 good/great episodes with a lack luster finale it would be an entirely different conversation.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't really understand these comparisons. The problem ain't solely the finale. The entire final season was poorly received. From critics to fans. The reason people let "The Sopranos" slide is because only the finale was divisive. If "GOT" had 5 good/great episodes with a lack luster finale it would be an entirely different conversation.

Fred.

If I recall some of those episodes still had high ratings from fans and critics. Most people have come around to accepting that this is where most of the characters needed to be. Arya, Jon, Sansa.. even Dany people are acknowledging now that she was going to break bad. The criticisms are more about how it was rushed and a lot of shyt was skipped, bypassed, time jumping or that the council meeting in the finale sucked etc..

It's not gonna be deal breakers.. People will move on and once the spin offs start up it's gonna be Thrones season all over again.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Bro. They legit had Sam come through with a book titled "A song of ice and fire".......A song of ice and fire.....ON THE SHOW.......:dead:

Fam. Sit back and really ponder that shyt and then tell me this wasn't intentional. They were openly mocking GRMM with that scene and they weren't even trying to hide it. you really think GRMM was gonna put that in his books?:dahell:.....These dudes were out for blood with this episode. Everything that happened this season was 100% intentional. They showed their hand with this finale.

They ruined every single storyline and every single character on the show. GOT's whole brand is gonna take a huge hit and these guys will move on like nothing happened. If GRRM even drops another book it won't do crazy numbers anymore. Nobody's gonna give a fukk about any spinoffs. The actors on the show will never reach this level of stardom again. D&D didn't care about the fans. They got their message across to the people they intended it for......."STAY in your fukkin lane and let us do what we do....or we'll end your whole career just like that"......they already got their bag from Disney. They didn't give a fukk. They even said they would be getting drunk and away from Twitter when this shyt aired. This was a troll job for the ages. I'm not even mad anymore. This shyt was genius.

GOT still gave me some great memories. I'm just gonna pretend this season never existed. It's a shame it ended with bad blood but that's how shyt goes. There's prolly gonna be a book written on this bullshyt.

God damn :wow:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Looking back at some old posts, I remembered that I noticed at the end of season 6 that they seemed to be speed rushing towards a conclusion, and that I couldn't see them having satisfying conclusions with two shortened seasons. Only back then I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt that they cared.

I think the filler argument is a little misplaced since even in 10 episode seasons, they are still skipping important character moments and rushing certain plotlines.

I for one think it's bullshyt that we didnt get a single scene of Bran reacting to what happened with Hodor and Summer. He is the only Stark (aside from Robb, who was dead) that didnt grieve on screen or react to the death of his direwolf. How does he feel about the Hodor situation? Or his role as the 3 eyed raven? Or that the children of the forest are gone? Or his role in the great war period? Hold the door was a crucial character moment and plot point but it happened and then we just skimmed right past everything interesting that would come after so we could get Bran to his next plot point, development of his character be damned.

I have a pretty lengthy list of scenes they just flat out skipped this season that made certain plotlines feel rushed or incomplete. If they cant get to certain character moments in 10 eps, i have my concerns about them being able to do it in 7. Sure we will get big plot moment after big plot moment but the exhaustive details in between are what always made those climaxes satisfying.

I personally dont believe them when they say they only have 13 more eps of content. I think its more likely that they are physically unable to produce a ten episode season going forward given the budget increases and raised standards for action. Season 6 almost killed them and they cant outdo it with more cg (they cant hide the dragons like they have the past 2 aeasons) and still make the spring deadline. I understand that and i am adjusting my expectations accordingly. What they did the last two episodes is unheard of for a tv show and unfair or not, it will be the expectation going into the final act. Its a standard that is impossible to reach in 10 episodes going forward. Big budget movies would struggle to reach that standard in the amount of time the showrunners are given. I get it. But dont tell me that if they did 10 eps it would be filler, even though they are skipping shyt that wouldn't be filler.

Them skipping Bran development seems even more egregious to me now that I realized they planned to make him king. That should have been a sign of what was to come for almost every character in season 7 and 8.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If I recall some of those episodes still had high ratings from fans and critics. Most people have come around to accepting that this is where most of the characters needed to be. Arya, Jon, Sansa.. even Dany people are acknowledging now that she was going to break bad. The criticisms are more about how it was rushed and a lot of shyt was skipped, bypassed, time jumping or that the council meeting in the finale sucked etc..

It's not gonna be deal breakers.. People will move on and once the spin offs start up it's gonna be Thrones season all over again.

Episodes 1-2 had like....8's if I remember correctly. After that it was a free fall until the finale, which is the lowest rated episode by either critics or fans.

"Most people have accepted this is where the characters need to be". :patrice:Uh....not really.

It was still trending well into yesterday on social media and damn near all of it was negative. People that appeared on the show are shytting on it right now, today. NY Times just posted an article criticizing the show, today.

It ended the day before yesterday, it's not like this is years later.

As far as the spin offs/sequels/prequels, they have no bearing on how this show will be remembered. Even if they are connected. Of course people are gonna check for them, the world and characters are still interesting. But it's not going to retroactively change how season 8 was received.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Bruh I don't see anyone bytchin about where Jon or Arya or Sansa ended up and most have accepted Dany now that it's been shown that's what Martin is gonna do anyway.

If they had did some shyt like killed off Arya for no reason then I could see the backlash lasting, it won't. I guarantee when the blu ray drops everyone gonna rush out to buy it. Watch.

Then the spin offs everyone gonna tune in. Watch.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Bruh I don't see anyone bytchin about where Jon or Arya or Sansa ended up and most have accepted Dany now that it's been shown that's what Martin is gonna do anyway.

If they had did some shyt like killed off Arya for no reason then I could see the backlash lasting, it won't. I guarantee when the blu ray drops everyone gonna rush out to buy it. Watch.

Then the spin offs everyone gonna tune in. Watch.
If Arya doesn't have a spin off what was the point of keeping her alive after she killed The Night King?

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Lost has the undisputed worst final ep in television history. That shyt was shoddy as fukk and ruins the entire series.

At least one cab watch GOT seasons 1-6 and still be entertained. Hell you can do 1-7 and just fanfic your own ending
Lost is still entertaining. GOT is worst if we speaking on ending. Lost attempted to wrap up the story and make some sense of it. Was just bad.
Game of thrones was sloppy, rushed and didnt follow any basic storytelling format for the last few episodes

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
If Arya doesn't have a spin off what was the point of keeping her alive after she killed The Night King?

I don't know if there are more stories to tell with her or not but why she gotta die? What would that have done to improve her arc? She's right where she said she wanted to be in Season 1.

If y'all disagree with me and y'all think Thrones is gonna fade off into oblivion that's cool I don't see it, it's by far the most popular show of the last 20 years. The lore is immersive.. They can make Westeros series for decades. :pachaha: