OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Here's Martin...

"And I’m writing. Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is. THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending? It’s a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?

How about this? I’ll write it. You read it. Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet."

:mjgrin:

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
PpNMYUe.jpg
TBH I thought the same exact thing, and considering that current timeline in the books, Dany actually took off on her Dragon and left Meereen to fend for itself, it will be interesting to see where that arc goes

Daps
Reppin
#LWO
Lmaoooooo at the Dragon just bugging out and :pacspit: at the Iron Throne

Dragon went from simple beast/war animal to philosopher who sees the throne as the root of all evil and gave a pass to Jon because in the Dragon's wisdom the shyt was bigger than Jon
drogon ended up being the best character on the show.

his arc/end was unintentionally poetic that's the sad part. :russ:

d&d ruined everything else

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
I don't understand how reviewers spent the whole season giving episodes 8,9, and 10's only to now say the season was trash.

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Can't really agree with this as "The Sopranos" ended in 2007 and "The Wire" ended in 2008 and there was immediate discussions about where they ranked all-time.

People were never going to put an ABC show in the same conversation as cable prestige dramas . "Hannibal" faced the same up hill battle. I'm not even saying they should be in that discussion....but we're talking about so long ago the concept of a basic cable show like "The Shield" being high quality was still a relatively new concept.

Fred.
What were The Wire and Sopranos being ranked against?:skip:The Sopranos ushered in the golden age of TV and the prestige hour long drama. People weren't out here comparing Sopranos to The Twilight Zone or MASH and debating over all-time rankings. It was it's own thing. Yeah, Oz technically did it first, but everyone knows Sopranos made it a hot song. Even when shows like Rome or Deadwood ended people weren't rushing to figure out their place in history. It wasn't really until Breaking Bad and Mad Men ended that the Buzzfeed era of lists, and "GOAT" really became commonplace. Yeah, people had their preferences and debated about this show vs. that show, but it was nothing like it is now.

Hanniba( I just happen to be in the middle of rewatching this piff:wow:) definitely suffered from being on network television, but LOST was a cultural phenomenon when it was on. Just like 24 was must see TV. shyt, even a show like Heroes was respected for a little bit. I won't even get into the whole different lane of teen hour long dramas that were universally praised like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Network TV used to actually be worthwhile. You couldn't get me to watch a second of it nowadays, doe:scust:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Despite what people are feeling about the finale, this show will still rank way up there in the drama genre on all-time lists. Sopranos survived and now there are people still calling it the GOAT.

Happens in comedy too. Most shows have lackluster finales. Seinfeld, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, etc.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Just goes to show us the genius and intricacies of GRRM’s writing, too, he been slapping us upside the head with it, and I was too caught up in the red herrings. That theory is so fukking well written (though proof reading/editing was pretty trash).
One thing that made me go :mindblown: Was that Jojen has called Bran "Your Grace" multiple times:wtf:. I mean, I don't know if those quote were taken out of context but if they weren't then you literally have Jojen telling us that Bran will be king:mindblown:

And I love the whole subtext of it all and it also helps explain why Jon won't be king after Dany dies.

I will give D&D a tiny break....this all seems like a very difficult thing to properly adapt to a TV medium. But only a TINY break, because they didn't even come close to portraying what GRRM is likely trying to convey

They reduced it all to "Bran the Broken has a good story and therefore makes a good king":dead:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Despite what people are feeling about the finale, this show will still rank way up there in the drama genre on all-time lists. Sopranos survived and now there are people still calling it the GOAT.

Happens in comedy too. Most shows have lackluster finales. Seinfeld, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, etc.

I personally love the Seinfeld finale even though people shytted on it when it aired. Seinfeld is a good comparison to GOT actually. Larry David was GRRM and Seinfeld was D & D.

After Larry's departure, you could see the fall off in writing quality in the last two seasons of Seinfeld. Even with the fall off, it was still one of the best sitcoms on the air. It just wasn't the same as when Larry David was running the show.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The show will be regarded more favorably than True Blood or Walking Dead - two genre shows that were hugely popular but would never be mentioned in the same breath as TV's greatest shows. That being said, I think the final season and the finale ensure that even casual fans won't claim it's a top 5-10 show. Sure some people will, but overall nah. They dropped the ball, in epic fashion. I think 5 years from now - when TWOW is presumably on bookshelves and Disney gets rid of D&D - there will be a lot of "what if" talk. What if D&D didn't abandon the show so abruptly and unprofessionally. What if Martin had managed to release TWOW before S7's release. What if HBO was more aggressive in demanding more seasons, perhaps to the point replacing D&D as showrunners with Bryan Cogman.

The show had some epic moments and it's impact on culture cannot be denied. It was THE show, for at least 5 years straight (S4-S8). S3 did well but remember the Red Wedding is what shot things to turbo drive, and then S4 was out of the park in terms of ratings...and they kept going higher.