OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
What sucks is that I always wanted this story to end with a Dany heel turn and Jon/Dany confrontation but I never thought they had the balls to do it. Ending the series with the good guys defeating Cersei or the Night King would have been easy so I’m at least happy they tried to do something different.

The problem is they’ve told this story in the absolute worst possible way to the point where you’d rather there be this Hollywood happy ending instead of this poorly executed BS.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
What sucks is that I always wanted this story to end with a Dany heel turn and Jon/Dany confrontation but I never thought they had the balls to do it. Ending the series with the good guys defeating Cersei or the Night King would have been easy so I’m at least happy they tried to do something different.

The problem is they’ve told this story in the absolute worst possible way to the point where you’d rather there be this Hollywood happy ending instead of this poorly executed BS.
Dany giving in to her worst impulses and doing something terrible has been my preferred character arc for her since I started watching the show, and definitely since I read the books. It was cemented that I did not want her to get the throne on some happily ever after shyt after the white savior moment. Yet some people think not liking the execution means you didn't want the arc to happen, which is just false. If you would have told me in season 1 or 2 that Dany's arc would lead to her burning KL to the ground, indiscriminately killing women, children, and her own army, I would have been like ":krs: I can't wait to see the lead up to that story, gonna be amazing:ohlawd:"

Never thought it would have happened this way though. I had trust in D&D back then.

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
They actually made me feel bad for Cersei :picard:

It was a bit weird seeing her like that. One would easily call that Karma for all the things she’s done. She had her chance to show mercy and compassion but failed to do so which turned into serious consequences.:francis:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
absolutely no problems with the story they're telling (even the careless attempts at "subverting" the expectations of certain every character arc)...

99 problems with how they've told it...

bottom line is we needed at least a full season 7 & 8, and realistically a partial to full season 9. so to that end, it's forever fukk these dudes for abandoning a show like GOT to do other shyt and not even having the humility to pass it off for a proper finish.

Trapped

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Now they've turned her into a genocidal maniac because... reasons?

Can anyone tell me what the point of all this was?

:snoop:

The point, as I see it, is that she did all this to find out that she could never have the throne, nor was she ever entitled to it. She has lost her friends, her love and the only goal she had set at the beginning of her journey. Therefore she is lost, angry and knows deep down that Jon will never be able to resist the temptation of becoming the king, whether he wants it or not. So, she went all out, destroying everything in her path.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
She did not care if she killed innocent people as long as she got to Cersie. Tyrion had to tell her throughout that she should play it safe and find another way because Cersie will use the innocent people. HAD to be CONVINCED.

Throughout the show, she has had to be convinced not to do bad things that she would have done if not for the advice.

Now you add the fact, that she has lost everyone close to her because of that place..seeing her finally snap is not shocking at all. She tried doing what others told her, and in the end she had nothing left. She became her trueself.

If people want to complain about the writing or the short seasons, that is fair. Ultimately I think she will have the same arc in the books. I am just not understanding people who think she was some saint and then one day got up and killed innocent people. She has been a killer, she doesn't mind doing it whether it was justified or not.
This doesn't add up completely. She lost alot, no doubt about that. But Tyrion(as you pointed out) was on her council and was still there advising her. Jon(who has been a huge part of keeping her sane) is still there.

Either way, she hasn't done anything in the past, close to this level of horror of what she did to KL. She's burnt rapist and slavemasters in the past, but what she did to KL was diffirent.

But what's missing in alot of this is, we've always got alusions to the Mad Queen possibility, merely based on her father being the Mad King and thus folks being leery of Targaryen madness. Not because she's actually committed barbarous acts to this point. Even then, it took her own father years and years of hearing voices and delusions to finally go mad and snap. If you wanna argue the show had allusions of Dany being a an incompetent ruler because of her struggles and failures in Mireen than that's one thing. But there's a huge difference between being a bad ruler who makes mistakes, and becoming an unremorseful, unrepentant sadist overnight. Her arc has never had her killing the innocent. At least not in one fail swoop with no real explanation.

Dany capturing Cersei and then enacting her revenge on Cersei, and then letting her sit the Iron Throne and explore the depths of her madness via paranoia towards Sansa, The North, Jon, and where other Kingdoms loyalties lie, would've been a much better way to delve into the "Mad Queen" arc, rather than having her burn down a bunch of innocent ppl she had absolutely no interpersonal beef with. Especially considering she had no reason to do it because she already secured the victory. It would've been a better arc, because it would leave many to believe that Dany is "The Hero" and finally did what she set out to do. Rescuing KL from Mad Queen Cersei, but then subverting that trope by slowly struggling but failing not to become "The Mad Queen" and struggling but failing not to become her father.

It'd make so much sense, considering the Kingdom was already split between their hatred of the short lived Lannisters Dynasty and their hatred hatred for the past Targaryens Dynasty. Even in The North they could deeply explore the arc about the Northsmen secretly trying to push Jon towards the throne or questioning if Jon's loyalties lie down South with the KL or with The North. That arc would perfectly fit with Jon's Honor vs Duty vs Loyalty arc, since he pledged fielty to Danrys.

^^^^Even if the afformentioned was too much, something as simple showing the soldiers refusing surrender and showing the depths that dany would go to seize the throne would've been better way to do it.

Hell, showing Dany kill Cersei, take the throne, and then showing the Westerosi's rejection of Dany's "Savior Complex" slowly driving her to that Targaryen madness would've been a better storyline to end Dany's arc. There's too many ways they could have gone than to justify that episode. Too damn many.

Last edited:

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps

its because they surrendered and then she burned it down.

had they actually fought, caused causalities before dany doing what she do, no one would b as upset.

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of people complaining haven’t read any of the books or anything about the characters. Dany locked her former best friend in a damn vault in Season 2 breh. In a vault!!! To starve to death. She watched while her only brother had 375 degree melted gold poured on his forehead breh and said he was no dragon afterward :mjlit: She burned the fukk out that witch too back in the day. It’s always been there in Dany. Her experiences since then pushed her over the edge. But she was always borderline crazy. Have y’all been watching or not?
Dany has always had psycho tendencies

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
The point, as I see it, is that she did all this to find out that she could never have the throne, nor was she ever entitled to it. She has lost her friends, her love and the only goal she had set at the beginning of her journey. Therefore she is lost, angry and knows deep down that Jon will never be able to resist the temptation of becoming the king, whether he wants it or not. So, she went all out, destroying everything in her path.
You're just explaining the bullet points on the writer's story board. The issue is the how of it all. There's no narrative value behind her story line anymore, and the way they've written her character in just TWO episodes leapfrogs the careful character development she went through for (almost) six seasons. This is a soap opera delivering nothing but cheap shock value.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
The point is...

The Night King was used to bring all the characters together.

Dany had no real purpose besides taking out Cersei.

Nothing after Season 7 really matters.
Like I said to another poster. You're just regurgitating bullet points for the writer's storyboard. What you've just said is that Cersei IS the Endgame for Game of Thrones and the NK was just a red herring to bring a couple houses together to fight a threat no one South of Winterfell will even know happened.

You say Dany's "true" purpose was to take out Cersei, but all she really does is burn an entire city and commit genocide. What payoff did you get from that thematically as a viewer?

Some of you keep explaining what's happening on the screen as if those who didn't like it are blind and deaf. We see and hear what you're seeing. It's just that we can recognize trash when it's it front of us. :yeshrug:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Breh exactly. they knew to look out for the fukken dragon, thing is the size of a 747 you can't tell me one arrow couldn't get it.

How that fukken dragon have so much energy to burn up a city.
Wasn't it starving last episode. :pachaha:
It ate a few people at the pregame lol

Last edited: