Official FGC thread (Streams, Pop-offs, fukkery) **EVO 2024 TOP 8 TODAY**

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yeah, the big part in the talent gap closing is that games are more accessible.

When you want to get better at a fighting game, you need competition. The way to do that in the 90's was at arcades.

Japan was so good because they had a strong arcade culture well into the 2000's. Online fighting games wasn't really widespread until 2009.

Now online people from everywhere can find competition, test out what works, etc. against people all over the world, etc.

The arcade culture is now inside people's homes.

Ezkh

Pro
Daps
The funniest thing is how people were acting like Japanese were superior in terms of intelligence / training or whatever else back in the dark days. The truth is that no, they just had good internet / arcades and games months / years in advance lol.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
The funniest thing is how people were acting like Japanese were superior in terms of intelligence / training or whatever else back in the dark days. The truth is that no, they just had good internet / arcades and games months / years in advance lol.
This is what happens when you combine Japan worship with lack of information: You know they are good but do not understand why, but since you are Japanese dikk rider the information gaps get filled with positive stereotypes for them and negatives for us.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
possibly. The game has passed Daigo by, I fear

but Since Sf5, Punk might be the GOAT SF player. He plays the same way he did on 5. His whiff punishes are immaculate. He's on that level Daigo and Infiltration were on during the SF4 era

Even last evo, @O.Red correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't punk make it all the way to top 8 without losing a single game? He was just 2-0'ing everyone, right?
I think because of Moment 37 Daigo has an unwarranted amount of celebrity. He's still great but nikkas expect too much from him every year

For one Daigo always learns these games slow. He didn't get good at SF5 till season 3, and his streams gave you a glimpse into the amount of work he puts in

Meanwhile no one ever talks about Momochi, who is ALWAYS in the picture and has had more Evo top 8s(and an Evo win) in the last decade than Daigo. No one ever talks about Kazunoko, who's arguably the GOAT fg player. Top 3 at the very least

I don't remember how well Punk did last Evo but he was asking some mean runs at the time. They just got glossed over by him always getting trapped in 2nd place:russ:

Last edited:

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think because of Moment 37 Daigo has an unwarranted amount of celebrity. He's still great but nikkas expect too much from him every year

For one Daigo always learns these games slow. He didn't get good at SF5 till season 3, and his streams gave you a glimpse into the amount of work he puts in

Meanwhile no one ever talks about Momochi, who is ALWAYS in the picture and has had more Evo top 8s(and an Evo win) in the last decade than Daigo. No one ever talks about Kazunoko, who's arguably the GOAT fg player. Top 3 at the very least

I don't remember how well Punk did last Evo but he was asking some mean runs at the time. They just got glossed over by him always getting trapped in 2nd place:russ:
Daigo learned street fighter 4 fast as fukk tho. He was the first I seen use the FADC correctly.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
Daigo learned street fighter 4 fast as fukk tho. He was the first I seen use the FADC correctly.
I know nothing about what happened before 4, but yeah I remember Daigo being noticeably better than everyone from jump

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

I thought Daigo's real claim to fame amongst other players was being damn near undefeated in FT10's, like his ability to download people was unmatched and that's where he hung his hat moreso than the main tournaments, he was money match god

I definitely remember seeing a tournament in Japan where everyone just went against him and he whooped on everyone back to back

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I remember Justin Wong was cooking everybody with Roofus in the US and then Daigo came over for that little gamespot exhibition and embarrassed Justin. :wow:
Yup. I remember maining Dhalsim in that game because how bad Iyo bodied everyone with Dhalsim in SFIV.

Then dude got destroyed by Daigo with a DP > super on extended limbs during that exhibition. Then everyone else started to copy that.

FChamp had Daigo's number in that game though.

Last edited:

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought Daigo's real claim to fame amongst other players was being damn near undefeated in FT10's, like his ability to download people was unmatched and that's where he hung his hat moreso than the main tournaments, he was money match god

I definitely remember seeing a tournament in Japan where everyone just went against him and he whooped on everyone back to back
Daigo made Tokido cry after a FT10 :wow:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

That's basically a big part of it. Daigo was known for his reads. Telekinetic DP's were a thing people were expecting from him.

People used to say it's like he knew what you wanted to do before you were going to do it. That probably does go into the "download" factor.

It's tough for the best players to download the best players (like I said, usually at this level it's close to 50/50 matchups), but Daigo is honestly one of the best at it.

Last edited:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Brehs looking at Nice on Wikitravel seems pretty dope and you’re not that far from Monaco as well. :ehh:

Oct works out pretty well too for a mini vacation after me and my Season 3 Manon drowns in pools. :mjgrin:

Facts we might have to have the Coli sponsor some cats :russ:

INOBLACK/MenaRD or GMB/KnuckleDu

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Right

I'm not saying daigo doesn't deserve accolades but his shyt is definitely overinflated, especially by people that don't like any better

That's why every single year Daigo is at the top of the list of favorites to win Evo but if you've been keeping up with the game you're like ":mjlol: nikka will be lucky to make top 8"

Meanwhile you've had far more consistent Japanese players since Daigo's last top 8 appearance over thirteen years ago

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

Nah, Daigo just learned V slowly. He was godlike in IV pretty early on. It's just online and more structured scenes started to bring more top quality players to the fore. I mean you gotta think of how many greats came out of that game alone. I think SF6 is a whole nother thing entirely. It's so fukking different.

I was never a heavy competitor, but I do remember Daigo being a monster. I think he also used to run the money matches off-stage and that was more of how he became known to other players, but moment 37 was how he became a LEGEND.

But I'm with you one some of the other names. I personally think Kazunoko and SonicFox are kinda in tiers of their own. Their ability to just hop from game to game and not only perform but win at the highest level is amazing. But the youngsters won't even mention Kazunoko. I think Gachikun is making a name for himself as well when you look at what he won and who he's beaten.
But if we talk about who do we put in the Daigo, JWong, R. Hart tier of players....Kazunoko for sure and before it's all done, I think Punk and Mena will be there too.