Official FGC thread (Streams, Pop-offs, fukkery) **EVO 2024 TOP 8 TODAY**

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Sexyy Red like WWE and fighting games. Ol' girl is a nerd at heart.

I know the losses hurt, however dude was absolutely right, they were so close in skill but somebody has to win and somebody has to lose. At the end of the day when the best play against the best it's nearly 50/50 every time and why so many times Grand Finals get reset. You're basically talking about a random group of sets that take place in the middle of the year between the best - it can go either way. Like a FT10 between two similarly skilled players can end in one way, then another the next week. Every now and then you'll get someone who's absolutely dominant and basically is a 99% pick to win but that's happened only a handful of times (Justin Wong MVC2, SonicFox for MK, Flash for Starcraft, etc.). I never bought allegations that Punk was a choker because of that.

I can't stand that woman. But I know plenty of black girls that like fighting games and whatnot but there's not alot of space for that shyt. Meghan opening up the black girl nerd space.

To your second point, that set was AMAZING. People complain about SF6 being to offensive, but it's insanely watchable. Between that and 3rd strike it's clear why SF is the king. Nothing else is as clear to understand and cheer for. Punk getting this W wasn't just a win for his legacy but planting the flag for American FGC in general. Black kings took half the tournaments at Evo...like let's think about that.

In a space consistently dominated by Japan/Korea (and now Arslan Ash), not just Americans but BLACK Americans showed that THEY are the future of the sport. Bro....I really need more of us into this because the culture permeates through the FGC so tough and I really love that about it.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Brehs looking at Nice on Wikitravel seems pretty dope and you’re not that far from Monaco as well. :ehh:

Oct works out pretty well too for a mini vacation after me and my Season 3 Manon drowns in pools. :mjgrin:
looks like it's known for wine and beaches.. we out there breh :salute:

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Yup. I remember that MVC3 Evo set between FChamp and Justin Wong. Came completely down to Justin Wong thinking is was over so he just randomly mashed a team super and it happened to hit. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

The difference in skill between all the very best is so small on these games. Who you happen to match-up with, if the other player mains somebody you have a tough time against, how you're feeling that day, etc. all become a factor. One lucky decision can literally mean the difference between advancing or not.

Also I agree with Justin when he said mixing with that crowd the way fighting games used to be played vs the arenas is a vibe.

Punk went 3-0 in Winners Final against him and the 1st set of GF was the complete opposite.

I preferred watching Tekken 7 to SFV but SF6 is way more entertaining than T8. Respect to the Pakistanis but perfect Tekken is boring as shyt they're just standing there throwing out 1-2s there's barely any combos

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Watched that shyt live. Dude really brought A game

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
is Punk the first American to win EVO for SF?

naw. but he still the greatest american champ(well best feat) because this game have over 5000 maybe 6000 competitors. those guys back in the early 2000s or 90s didnt have nearly as many competitors at evo if im not mistaken. i dont think the usa has won a frontrunning street fighter game since the 90s to be honest. it's been all japan/asia mostly.......

I love daigo but i dont think he would be as big over here if americans had been successful at sf. he would still be loved cause he a legend but he wouldnt have the fansboys just like tokido and the others.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
naw. but he still the greatest american champ(well best feat) because this game have over 5000 maybe 6000 competitors. those guys back in the early 2000s or 90s didnt have nearly as many competitors at evo if im not mistaken. i dont think the usa has won a frontrunning street fighter game since the 90s to be honest. it's been all japan/asia mostly.......

I love daigo but i dont think he would be as big over here if americans had been successful at sf. he would still be loved cause he a legend but he wouldnt have the fansboys just like tokido and the others.
possibly. The game has passed Daigo by, I fear

but Since Sf5, Punk might be the GOAT SF player. He plays the same way he did on 5. His whiff punishes are immaculate. He's on that level Daigo and Infiltration were on during the SF4 era

Even last evo, @O.Red correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't punk make it all the way to top 8 without losing a single game? He was just 2-0'ing everyone, right?

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
US players excelling with rushdown/mixup characters all day in all the games. I feel like the reason dudes are winning now is because stuff like frame data is so much more readily available as opposed to the early 2000's where you were just depending on a dude punishing/counter hitting you and saying, "That isn't safe".
It's deeper

Social medîa making information easier to access was the first step. There's also the fact that Japan used to have these games months, or up to a year and advance and Americans would spend the life of the game playing catch-up

Also for a while Japan had superior training methods to us, but here's where it starts to change

American scenes started to get better about training together and sharing strategies. This is especially important when you live somewhere with a small scene. You have to make a lot out of a little

Another huge stride made in the last 5-6 years is the American FGC FORCING Japan to start using rollback netcode. Japan's internet has always been so good so they never worried about online issues like that. Delay based netcode has obvious issues over here. Then COVID forcing everyone inside increased online play obviously. Once America reached the stance of "If your shyt don't have rollback we can't/won't play it" Japan fell in line. When you look at the success of Guilty Gear Strive a lot of it falls on how good the online is

With better online through rollback you're thrust into a whole new world of training opportunities. You can run long sets or train with the best players in the world, regardless of where you live. So if you train correctly and grind, you can become Evo champ from your bedroom

When you look at these super young players like Ending Walker(17 yrs old), or Punk when he first exploded on the scene(also 17), you're looking at players that spent hours and hours online playing and downloading situations. There was a time where that kind of grinding and information sponging was only available in Japan

Last edited: