PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I’m not comfortable going to a theater and I’m fully vaxxed. So I watched on HBO max. I still liked it.
If you can go at an off time you’ll be aight, just wear a mask. I’m very cautious but have had no issues going to theaters after being fully vaxxed. Seeing this in a smaller IMAX theater was the most packed I’ve seen and I’m fine. If you go to a bigger theater you’ll be straight. People don’t typically talk during a movie so there isn’t a lot of “droplets” going around. Obviously still a risk but with covid numbers dropping in most states you should be good.

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He well educated the book go really in depth in his educating he was being train to be a Mentats are specially trained to mimic the cognitive and analytical ability of computers.

Yeah, they didn't show he was trained in mentat shyt too.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Started watching the original after seeing the new version. It’s literally the same movie down to the words just with better CGI. Almost like the new version wasn’t needed even though I did like it.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
its good but yeah that ending was abrupt. it's crazy that the movie didnt drag, didnt seem like it was 2 and a half hours at all :wow:

i didn't want it to end.... definitely got lost in it. Beautifully shot.. the sound is crazy.. well acted.. love the worldbuilding.. but the end was like damn man where's the rest??? :damn: :damn:

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
OK, this is definitely raising my interest in the book. In terms of language and worldbuilding is it a difficult/tedious read? My rating scale for difficult/tedious is:
1- (easy language and world-building)- (Stephen King)
3- (slightly more complex language and complicated worldbuilding)- (George R. R. Martin)
5- (fairly involved/new languages & complex world-building)- (Tolkien)
10- (dense, antiquated, and sometimes abstract language & fairly involved and at times inaccessible world-building - (H.P. Lovecraft & Kurt Vonnegut).

Being honest, yea it's tedious. I'd probably put it at a 7-8 based on your scale here.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
The cinematography was much better in the 2021 version. But the story telling was much better in the original IMO.

The lynch movie isn't perfect but its charming. He lifts a bunch of stuff straight from the books, he understood that Herbert could write. It wasn't afraid to be weird either which Denis kinda plays down here (leather spider creature and prison planet aside) but is all over the books (especially the later ones). Saddest thing is Lynch never really got a budget like that or explored something else like this again. He would have killed a fantasy movie like Willow or even Legend with gorgeous sets.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
He put on an incredibly wooden performance and was the weakest link in the movie. At no point did I want to root for him. I was hoping breh at the end killed him in the duel because he was my favorite character with only 5 minutes of screen time:mjlol:

They couldn't get him in the gym and put on a little muscle? He was looking anorexic which made it hard to believe him in any fight scene. He didn't look very fluid with the choreography either.

I've read a bunch of glowing reviews but I never see them mention the characters. The critical ones do. A movie can't be great with stale performances and a lack of character arcs. I don't see how you can go to great lengths for the visuals and let the human component fall flat.
Paul is supposed to be 15 in Dune so physically, the casting was correct. His character isn't very charismatic in the book, imo, so I thought the performance was fitting. A recurring theme in the book is his reluctance to being a "messiah" and also resentment about the way he was raised/trained.

I also don't think it was made very clear in the film but the whole reason the Freman view him as their messiah is because the Bene Gesserits spread the stories/myths about a savior for (I would guess) thousands of years. It wasn't just the Freman who were told this either; they spread this message across many planets and civilizations. Paul just happened to land on Arrakis.

As someone who read the book, I thought they did a great job with what they were able to squeeze into two and a half hours. The tone and performances fit how I imagined them. The problem is there's just so much detail they had to leave out. A lot of missed subtleties and backstory that adds up to a lot when looking at the big picture.

I really, really wish this was a series instead of a movie. I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks a movie is the only way this would have worked or been greenlit. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the story but we're only getting surface level detail, if that, with the movie(s). A series with Apple's money behind it would have been phenomenal.

If they went through all the books with the different characters, ages and necessary re-casting, it could have been groundbreaking.

Last edited: