DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Paul is supposed to be 15 in Dune so physically, the casting was correct. His character isn't very charismatic in the book, imo, so I thought the performance was fitting. A recurring theme in the book is his reluctance to being a "messiah" and also resentment about the way he was raised/trained.

I also don't think it was made very clear in the film but the whole reason the Freman view him as their messiah is because the Bene Gesserits spread the stories/myths about a savior for (I would guess) thousands of years. It wasn't just the Freman who were told this either; they spread this message across many planets and civilizations. Paul just happened to land on Arrakis.

As someone who read the book, I thought they did a great job with what they were able to squeeze into two and a half hours. The tone and performances fit how I imagined them. The problem is there's just so much detail they had to leave out. A lot of missed subtleties and backstory that adds up to a lot when looking at the big picture.

I really, really wish this was a series instead of a movie. I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks a movie is the only way this would have worked or been greenlit. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the story but we're only getting surface level detail, if that, with the movie(s). A series with Apple's money behind it would have been phenomenal.

If they went through all the books with the different characters, ages and necessary re-casting, it could have been groundbreaking.

Yea I seen no reason dune couldn’t be on the same level as Mandalorian Disney as a series

but I also wish Mandalorian was a movie I could see in theaters

I think when something in this streaming era is made into a series it devalues the artistry or product as a whole

if Dune is this big movie/book franchise from years ago then having it be a movie is the best way to do it justice for the creators but maybe not for fans

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
Dune has always been considered as unadaptable on the big screen. The book has a lot of internal monologues, vague prophecies, odd names, a complex political/ economic system and an unique social construct. Denis Villeneuve proved many people wrong. He did an amazing job at adapting this complex story.

I agree completely.

Even the Sci-Fi channel miniseries from the early 2000's was decent but not great.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
did find it weird that the emperor asked them to take over just so he could wipe them out, hope that is explained properly unless i missed it

Basically it a trap, they were sent there so they could be easier to ambush - or at least that was what I understood, I haven't read the book.

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia

I didn’t read the books so I may be wrong, but it’s seems like the whole point of the movie is about him being the “chosen one” and him coming to terms with it and believing in himself/trusting his visions kind of like Neo in the matrix

You are wrong, but it is by design.

Paul is a maniac, he slaughters billions of people!

Both George Lucas and GRRM influenced heavy by Dune.

If someone watched Phantom Menace without knowledge of other films, they could be forgiven for thinking Anakin is the "chosen one"

Similar with GOT, you could be forgiven for thinking Danerys was "the one to break the wheel"

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I watched almost half of the movie last night and so far its pretty decent but nothing mind blowing. However it just seems like I am watching the trailer again with more pretty shots. Hoping the movie picks up a bit and stuff actually happens.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
i had to run some of this bacc to fully understand what was going on so i feel that.. A show would have explained it better but those Comicbook girl videos are on point.. the lore of this series sounds dope.. :obama:

Now i wanna read the books :ehh:

Her deep dive videos on YouTube are really good (X-men, Watchmen, Game of Thrones and Dune). She's a big Dune fan girl and still does the book club for the rest of the series on Twitch and YouTube, I think. Unfortunately, the quality of her videos/content fell off some time last year because she separated from her boyfriend/producer and turned into a thot :russ:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Loved it. Too bad the sequel is so far off when it should be released a year from now.

The visuals are incredible. I'm going to have to see it in IMAX to get the full experience.

I like Lynch's version too, just nowhere near as much .

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Her deep dive videos on YouTube are really good (X-men, Watchmen, Game of Thrones and Dune). She's a big Dune fan girl and still does the book club for the rest of the series on Twitch and YouTube, I think. Unfortunately, the quality of her videos/content fell off some time last year because she separated from her boyfriend/producer and turned into a thot :russ:

Oh damn was her man the robot that she would fucc around with? i remember watching her X-Men videos maybe 5 years ago now.. Time flies :damn:

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You are wrong, but it is by design.

Paul is a maniac, he slaughters billions of people!

Both George Lucas and GRRM influenced heavy by Dune.

If someone watched Phantom Menace without knowledge of other films, they could be forgiven for thinking Anakin is the "chosen one"

Similar with GOT, you could be forgiven for thinking Danerys was "the one to break the wheel"

ok, it makes sense now and that’s why my initial impression from the movie was that everyone is basically evil. But not knowing how the story will progress I assume the so called “messiah” or “chosen one” as a good guy/savior as it’s presented in religions and in Dune part 1