voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
question… was one of Paul’s powers, his ability to understand languages or was he just really educated. Why whenever the Fremen talked to him why wouldn’t anyone else in the scene react?
He well educated the book go really in depth in his educating he was being train to be a Mentats are specially trained to mimic the cognitive and analytical ability of computers.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
:jbhmm:Read the books leading up too God Emperor of Dune :whoo:and stop there IMO feel like that is a much better place to stop reading you are really missing out if don't get to that book:obama:

Props. I'll give it a look.

question… was one of Paul’s powers, his ability to understand languages or was he just really educated. Why whenever the Fremen talked to him why wouldn’t anyone else in the scene react?

Paul is highly educated, as you could tell from him studying how the sandworms operate. His entire childhood was studying politics, learning how to fight/defend himself & learning the Bene Gesserit abilities. I think the Freman language came to him due to his abilities though, but I can't fully remember.

Daps
I'm surprised Denis didn't really address mentats at all since he did feature Thufir and Piter doing it a bit in the movie. I'm gonna be really surprised if we don't end up with a LOTR style extended cut later this decade tbh.
He did film the scenes but they were cut in the theatrical version.The studio didn’t want the film to be too long ( for good reasons).
He even filmed the Yueh and Jessica scene where Yueh talks about his wife Wanna and cries (very important moment in the book):

ixqpu5afpev71.jpg

He promised that we would learn more about the Mentats in part 2.I know that Villeneuve doesn’t like director’s/extended cuts but I really hope the studio vetoes him in this regard. I want to see the extended cut. It would also help boost the blu-ray sales.

Last edited:

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Yeah I remember hearing awhile ago that the first cut of the movie was almost 5 hours long lol so I'm not too surprised. I don't think we'll get/see an extended cut until after we get Part Two though.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm surprised Denis didn't really address mentats at all since he did feature Thufir and Piter doing it a bit in the movie. I'm gonna be really surprised if we don't end up with a LOTR style extended cut later this decade tbh.

That was weird, and there was a throwaway line about something being the next "logical move."

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dune is not about a charismatic good guy overcoming some terrible evil/threat. It's about how you cannot look to charismatic ppl to solve your problems. It’s part a warning against any and all messiah types. Harkonnens are brutal fascists that oppressed Arrakis and killed Pauls father but peep the vision he has in the tent...If he follows the path his vision has laid out for him, if he goes into the desert he will wage a holy war against the galaxy, billions will die. He still walks into the desert....There is no light side or dark side here, just people. Dune is not scifi adventure, it's mostly philosophical and political.

I didn’t read the books so I may be wrong, but it’s seems like the whole point of the movie is about him being the “chosen one” and him coming to terms with it and believing in himself/trusting his visions kind of like Neo in the matrix

There’s religion all interwoven throughout the film if you pay attention and recognize it so I’d say it’s religion/politics

the clear bad guy is the fat blob looking man. What is he really? He represents evil if Paul is the good in the movie

and does the sand monster have any other/deeper significance or is it just a brainless thing that tries to keep people off the sand

Marks

as a mountain
Daps

I didn’t read the books so I may be wrong, but it’s seems like the whole point of the movie is about him being the “chosen one” and him coming to terms with it and believing in himself/trusting his visions kind of like Neo in the matrix

There’s religion all interwoven throughout the film if you pay attention and recognize it so I’d say it’s religion/politics

the clear bad guy is the fat blob looking man. What is he really? He represents evil if Paul is the good in the movie

and does the sand monster have any other/deeper significance or is it just a brainless thing that tries to keep people off the sand

Sandworm stuff and how they relate to fremen is herbert doing bits about environmentalism. The fremen live in harmony with nature, they don't exploit it. The sandworm is important to spice production. Harkonens are basically the complete opposite with Atredies kinda being in the middle. I can't remember if they address it straight up in the book? but Atreides' home world is lush and beautiful with a rich biome and it's pretty clear while they don't live in harmony with the land like the fremen they do, it is not a totally exploitative relationship. They take care of their home basically.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sandworm stuff and how they relate to fremen is herbert doing bits about environmentalism. The fremen live in harmony with nature, they don't exploit it. The sandworm is important to spice production. Harkonens are basically the complete opposite with Atredies kinda being in the middle. I can't remember if they address it straight up in the book? but Atreides' home world is lush and beautiful with a rich biome and it's pretty clear while they don't live in harmony with the land like the fremen they do, it is not a totally exploitative relationship. They take care of their home basically.
It is cover in the book the Harkonens have a good reason for being :pacspit: at the Atredies

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Yeah I remember hearing awhile ago that the first cut of the movie was almost 5 hours long lol so I'm not too surprised. I don't think we'll get/see an extended cut until after we get Part Two though.
I want it. :feedme:

Daps

No. Charismatic leaders, even ones like Paul, should come with a warning label. That’s the whole premise of all the Dune novels straight from the man who wrote it. They’re more trouble than they’re worth.

Paul is going to be responsible for the deaths of over 60 billion people in a little more than a decade. His son is going to starve even more over several millennia.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It would need a budget like Game of Thrones or even Witcher on Netflix. There is a ton of stuff a show would've explained better than the movie such as the Bene Gesserit (who/what are they and what is their purpose), the blood feud between House Atreides & House Harkonnen, the entire forbidden relationship between Leto/Jessica which led to the birth of Paul, why Jessica mentoring Paul in the acts of the Bene Gesserit is a big deal, why Paul passing the test was such a big deal and the backstory of the Emperor and what his plans are.

i had to run some of this bacc to fully understand what was going on so i feel that.. A show would have explained it better but those Comicbook girl videos are on point.. the lore of this series sounds dope.. :obama:

Now i wanna read the books :ehh: