Is this movie trying to be Star Wars/the matrix or is it just me? :patrice:

And was there Muslims in the original? :skip:

Last edited:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Is this movie trying to be Star Wars/the matrix or is it just me? :patrice:

And was there Muslims in the original? :skip:

The source material (the book) directly inspired Star Wars, it's the other way around.

And no there weren't arabs in the original movie but the book takes a significant chunk of inspiration for the Fremen from middle eastern history/culture/linguistics so it was already embedded in the source material.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
My main gripe with these new young actors is that they all look they’re still waiting for puberty to kick in and they lack charisma. They couldn’t give that nikka sandwich and a weight set? Just look at Tom Holland in that Uncharted trailer. He’s not believable in that role without superpowers. nikka spent the whole trailer looking like he was late for 5th period.
yea the uncharted casting was a miss. all the way around

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
george lucas was influenced by the book Dune

yea I figured. Lucas took the idea and concepts and made something way better in my opinion.

this movie adaptation was kinda annoying

My way to many “visions” and vague references alluding to things they don’t bother explaining or whisper about so you don’t even know what they’re saying

and the fat floating villain was :russell:

the visuals were good but I feel like half the movie was in slow mo :beli:

the new blade runner was executed way better :hubie:

edit: Prometheus was better than this :yeshrug:

Still waiting on a recent sci-fi space film gonna top that movie :banderas:

Last edited:
Daps
Dune has always been considered as unadaptable on the big screen. The book has a lot of internal monologues, vague prophecies, odd names, a complex political/ economic system and an unique social construct. Denis Villeneuve proved many people wrong. He did an amazing job at adapting this complex story. Can’t wait for part 2. That’s were things will get real. The rise of Muad’dib’ will be :blessed:

This is why Dune is my favorite sci-fi universe:

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The source material (the book) directly inspired Star Wars, it's the other way around.

And no there weren't arabs in the original movie but the book takes a significant chunk of inspiration for the Fremen from middle eastern history/culture/linguistics so it was already embedded in the source material.

they were inspired by Tuaregs(Berbers) not Arabs.

Movie looked good, but i couldnt find myself caring about anything that took place

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
If y’all can go see this in Dolby, i highly suggest it. Best theater experience I’ve ever had.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
This movie just made me feel like I really need to read the book. I can tell there's a lot of world building left out.
my one takeaway was, "how the fukk does someone write this?"

i'll never understand how anyone could literally build a world, especially one this dense. it's incredible... then i think about all the people out there that have probably attempted it and just wasted their entire lives trying to be the new Tolkien or something.

but the movie itself... meh.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
yea I figured. Lucas took the idea and concepts and made something way better in my opinion.

My way to many “visions” and vague references alluding to things they don’t bother explaining or whisper about so you don’t even know what they’re saying

The original Prometheus script that was a direct prequel to Alien was written by Jon Spaights(until the studio brought in Lindelof to make revisions) wrote the Dune script. I loved Prometheus but no way is it better than Dune imo.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps

Lucas stole ideas and concepts and made something watered down and accessible for the masses. The sheer complexity and density of Dune makes these film adaptations impossible. If we’re keeping it real any adaption should be serial episodes over like 10 seasons on a HBO or Netflix platform.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Visually stunning…signature Villanueva. Very little character development apart from Jessica. Dude who played Paul was a complete bore with zero charisma. They need to make this a one and done like the girl with the dragon tattoo (US version).

He put on an incredibly wooden performance and was the weakest link in the movie. At no point did I want to root for him. I was hoping breh at the end killed him in the duel because he was my favorite character with only 5 minutes of screen time:mjlol:

They couldn't get him in the gym and put on a little muscle? He was looking anorexic which made it hard to believe him in any fight scene. He didn't look very fluid with the choreography either.

I've read a bunch of glowing reviews but I never see them mention the characters. The critical ones do. A movie can't be great with stale performances and a lack of character arcs. I don't see how you can go to great lengths for the visuals and let the human component fall flat.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
shyt was meh. Yeah the cinematography and effects were on point. Felt like the movie was a mix of GOT/StarWars/Prometheaus. Way too much flashback/dreams scenes of Zendaya, we get that shes beautiful but come on. shyt was a 6/10 and LONG AS FUKK, could've cut down mad scenes that were unneccesary.

I saw this at an AMC 3D.
All those things took it from Dune tho. Thats the crazy thing. Even the art from the Alien movies was initially supposed to be for Dune.