chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The ending fell flat. I know this was part 1 of what is meant to be a series but The Matrix Reloaded ending got hate for being anticlimactic when the sequel was already filmed and being released the same year. This is still hoping for a sequel to be greenlit so it can't get a pass on that bullshyt ending.

I understood what was going on throughout but it was all surface level explanations with no background or motivations. There is no reason why the emperor wants this entire clan dead. This crew was introduced and killed off by an unseen emperor and a different crew that was only doing it to get back the territory that was taken away so they would kill them. We don’t know anything about them when they are introduced except they were marked for death and knowingly walked into the trap. The side stuff with the prophecy and visions didn't add anything to the story. Overall I didn't care about anyone in the movie and that made it feel like nothing was happening even as an entire group was being wiped out.

It was a very boring movie.

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was a solid movie. Not a huge sci fi fanboy so I had very little expectations coming into it. As a stand-alone film the ending was very anti-climactic and kind of bullshyt. That was probably my biggest gripe.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
yea I figured. Lucas took the idea and concepts and made something way better in my opinion.

this movie adaptation was kinda annoying

My way to many “visions” and vague references alluding to things they don’t bother explaining or whisper about so you don’t even know what they’re saying

and the fat floating villain was :russell:

the visuals were good but I feel like half the movie was in slow mo :beli:

the new blade runner was executed way better :hubie:

edit: Prometheus was better than this :yeshrug:

Still waiting on a recent sci-fi space film gonna top that movie :banderas:
:whoa:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
did find it weird that the emperor asked them to take over just so he could wipe them out, hope that is explained properly unless i missed it

and is Brolins character presumed dead, i laughed at how militant and loyal he was at protecting his Duke Leto at all times
If you knew what Gurney went through, you wouldn't be surprised at his level of dedication. Which isn't your fault because the film didn't lay out any details. :yeshrug:

Suffice it to say, he's literally a runaway slave.:wow:

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even though I enjoyed Dune, I stopped after the first book because I heard the series kind of falls off once Frank Herbert died & his son took over. I didn't want to invest in another fantasy series that disappointed me like ASOIAF did :beli:
:jbhmm:Read the books leading up too God Emperor of Dune :whoo:and stop there IMO feel like that is a much better place to stop reading you are really missing out if don't get to that book:obama:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
:jbhmm:Read the books leading up too God Emperor of Dune :whoo:and stop there IMO feel like that is a much better place to stop reading you are really missing out if don't get to that book:obama:
Dropping it after GEoD means they get absolutely no payoff with the Golden Path, which is the entire motivation for that entire book.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dropping it after GEoD means they get absolutely no payoff with the Golden Path, which is the entire motivation for that entire book.
:jbhmm: IMO I feel like God Emperor of Dune good place to stop because a lot the conflicts of the main characters end in that book .they can read Heretics of Dune if they feel like GEoD doesnt answer the question rather or not the golden path was the answer for humanity but anything after that book is:patrice:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lucas stole ideas and concepts and made something watered down and accessible for the masses. The sheer complexity and density of Dune makes these film adaptations impossible. If we’re keeping it real any adaption should be serial episodes over like 10 seasons on a HBO or Netflix platform.

I think Star Wars just added what Dune is lacking missing especially this 2021 I just watched

Star Wars has characters with charisma/style humor and respectability and a story that while basic clearly draws the line between good and evil and who’s against who and why

also there is a pretty clear and consistent theme and overall story to Star Wars

plus light sabers/force > dune fighting style :manny:

Dune is a weird move where pretty much everyone seems evil. Hard to tell who is really the good guy.

seems kinda demonic considering how the main characters are using what y’all call witchcraft as their “force” :leostare:

I’m pretty sure Timothy chalement mom and grandmother are witches :patrice:

and even the blue eyed people of the spice planet seem demonic and even though we are supposed to root for them I guess

outside of Jason mamoa and that black girl (not zendaya) there’s no feel good characters and we see how things worked out for them :beli:

It’s pretty dark movie (which is probably the point) and maybe too serious for its own good. I think it focuses way too much on religion (they literally call Timothy chalemet characters the “mahdi” a few times) while Star Wars has spirituality as the underlying theme which you can ignore if you choose to

Star Wars is a fun movie that has a simpler
story also makes you think and has better visuals and technology

Dune is kinda too 1 dimensional for me. It’s probably an acquired taste though judging by so of the comments in here :manny:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I read the book a few years ago, and I loved it. I enjoyed the movie, and it stayed pretty true to the book. However, I always thought Dune would be better off as a mini series. I can see people being confused as fukk with how the movie told the story. It was sort of hard for the general audience to understand how Jessica was a Bene Gesserit and how Paul might be Kwisatz Haderach and what the fukk that even means. I'm assuming the second or even third movie will go into it more. I just hope the general audience will have patience with it :yeshrug:

Edit - For those who want to read the book & haven't yet, I suggest following this YouTube series put together by comicbookgirl19 as you read it. She breaks the OG book up into smaller parts and explains what's going on.

question… was one of Paul’s powers, his ability to understand languages or was he just really educated. Why whenever the Fremen talked to him why wouldn’t anyone else in the scene react?

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
I figure spice is just a representative of oil. Fremen are supposed to be Arabs
It's a blend. Like a lot of fiction from that era these authors were burrowing from everywhere. A lot of faux islam shyt in there though ofc.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
I think Star Wars just added what Dune is lacking missing especially this 2021 I just watched

Star Wars has characters with charisma/style humor and respectability and a story that while basic clearly draws the line between good and evil and who’s against who and why

also there is a pretty clear and consistent theme and overall story to Star Wars

plus light sabers/force > dune fighting style :manny:

Dune is a weird move where pretty much everyone seems evil. Hard to tell who is really the good guy.

seems kinda demonic considering how the main characters are using what y’all call witchcraft as their “force” :leostare:

I’m pretty sure Timothy chalement mom and grandmother are witches :patrice:

and even the blue eyed people of the spice planet seem demonic and even though we are supposed to root for them I guess

outside of Jason mamoa and that black girl (not zendaya) there’s no feel good characters and we see how things worked out for them :beli:

It’s pretty dark movie (which is probably the point) and maybe too serious for its own good. I think it focuses way too much on religion (they literally call Timothy chalemet characters the “mahdi” a few times) while Star Wars has spirituality as the underlying theme which you can ignore if you choose to

Star Wars is a fun movie that has a simpler
story also makes you think and has better visuals and technology

Dune is kinda too 1 dimensional for me. It’s probably an acquired taste though judging by so of the comments in here :manny:

Dune is not about a charismatic good guy overcoming some terrible evil/threat. It's about how you cannot look to charismatic ppl to solve your problems. Its part a warning against any and all messiah types. Harkonnens are brutal fascists that oppressed Arrakis and killed Pauls father but peep the vision he has in the tent...If he follows the path his vision has laid out for him, if he goes into the desert he will wage a holy war against the galaxy, billions will die. He still walks into the desert....There is no light side or dark side here, just people. Dune is not scifi adventure, it's mostly philosophical and political.

Daps
question… was one of Paul’s powers, his ability to understand languages or was he just really educated. Why whenever the Fremen talked to him why wouldn’t anyone else in the scene react?

Paul has mentat abilities. He is a lesser trained mentat (not as proficient as Thufir Hawat). Everyone in his entourage knows this. It’s revealed early in the book. We might see more of this in part 2