nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I haven’t read the whole series(still on dune messiah) , but pretty much the first book is pretty heavy with the trope’y “savor complex”. The rest of the series pushes back on that in comparison. Most of caution surrounding the “messiah” themes and influence comes from Paul himself, as his abilities become more prominent and starts to notice the consequences of his actions. That’s one sequence (the tent scene) in the film they should’ve let breathe and turn down the score cause it’s seems confusing.

I don’t think the book is as heavy with the white savor, but the film was really overt with the casting choices (especially Jamis and the extras ) so I see how everyone will interpret it that way.

Herbert as very specific with the ethinicities. Those on Arrakis/Dune (Fremen) are supposed to be Arabic in descent. This is why they are black/brown folk. While they are superstitious to the point of claiming Paul as their Mahdi the point of Dune is that there is NO SAVIOR. Even the leaders that are charismatic can be dangerous and detrimental to the cause.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Herbert as very specific with the ethinicities. Those on Arrakis/Dune (Fremen) are supposed to be Arabic in descent. This is why they are black/brown folk. While they are superstitious to the point of claiming Paul as their Mahdi the point of Dune is that there is NO SAVIOR. Even the leaders that are charismatic can be dangerous and detrimental to the cause.

Fremen were based on Arabic cultures but they weren’t described as explicitly black and brown people.

The first book most def sets up Paul as a messiah type figure, his abilities in the second part of book (in reference to the film) cause the Fremen to be increasingly seen him as a divine figure; although the intention of the entire series cautions against such a thing since it creates massive consequences.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Fremen were based on Arabic cultures but they weren’t described as explicitly black and brown people.

The first book most def sets up Paul as a messiah type figure, his abilities in the second part of book (in reference to the film) cause the Fremen to be increasingly seen him as a divine figure; although the intention of the entire series cautions against such a thing since it creates massive consequences.

I know they're not described as black/brown people, but I mean in this movie. The '84 movie, everyone was white, but they definitely tried to show the different ethnicities here.

Yup. Exactly what I mean.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I read the book a few years ago, and I loved it. I enjoyed the movie, and it stayed pretty true to the book. However, I always thought Dune would be better off as a mini series. I can see people being confused as fukk with how the movie told the story. It was sort of hard for the general audience to understand how Jessica was a Bene Gesserit and how Paul might be Kwisatz Haderach and what the fukk that even means. I'm assuming the second or even third movie will go into it more. I just hope the general audience will have patience with it :yeshrug:

Edit - For those who want to read the book & haven't yet, I suggest following this YouTube series put together by comicbookgirl19 as you read it. She breaks the OG book up into smaller parts and explains what's going on.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
This actually reminded me a lot of a cross between Season 1 of Game of Thrones and The Fellowship of the Ring.. it was mostly all set up for things to come but the early stages of a journey across an unfamiliar land..

i appreciated all the world building going on and i'm a political junky of course i was into that aspect. Movie was beautifully shot..

if i had one criticism it would be too many dream sequences. Yes.. i'm sure that's how the book was and it pieces everything together but it slowed the story down to a halt sometimes.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Not sure this could have been a show. Actually yes it could have been a show but no way a show is getting this level of a budget unless the show is Game of Thrones level of success...

First "season" of Dune would have been all indoors and politics which maybe i'd love but would the casual person? maybe not..

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
9/10 movie for me, saw it in IMAX, imo it makes the difference with movies that are visual and audio spectacles. Movie is dialogue heavy but the action scenes, ESPECIALLY the ambush scene at night are suburb. Not sure why some of y’all hate it or think it is trash.

Yeah the ambush scene was incredible.. Some of the other action sequences were decent but when the ambush popped off i was :whoo:

Black Samurai

Kill or Be Killed
Daps
Reppin
California
Not sure this could have been a show. Actually yes it could have been a show but no way a show is getting this level of a budget unless the show is Game of Thrones level of success...

First "season" of Dune would have been all indoors and politics which maybe i'd love but would the casual person? maybe not..

Game of thrones was at its best when it focused more on the politics and less on the fantasy elements.

But there is a very good chance of this getting cancelled after one season if it were a TV show. People lack the attention span nowadays for these type of stuff.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp

It would need a budget like Game of Thrones or even Witcher on Netflix. There is a ton of stuff a show would've explained better than the movie such as the Bene Gesserit (who/what are they and what is their purpose), the blood feud between House Atreides & House Harkonnen, the entire forbidden relationship between Leto/Jessica which led to the birth of Paul, why Jessica mentoring Paul in the acts of the Bene Gesserit is a big deal, why Paul passing the test was such a big deal and the backstory of the Emperor and what his plans are. All of this can easily be explained in the next 1-2 movies though, so it's not a big deal to me but I can see people being frustrated because they have no idea what's going on.

Even though I enjoyed Dune, I stopped after the first book because I heard the series kind of falls off once Frank Herbert died & his son took over. I didn't want to invest in another fantasy series that disappointed me like ASOIAF did :beli: